Author Topic: This weekends setup... Invasion of Sicily  (Read 538 times)

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
This weekends setup... Invasion of Sicily
« on: September 28, 2005, 02:10:35 PM »
Invasion of Sicily: July 10, 1943
As the Canadian forces push into the rear of Sicily, the battle in Italy heats up. Canadian forces pound defensive positions along the coast line with lead ace George Beurling leading the RCAF in kills. The RCAF also launch a series of heavy raids outside Siscly against known ANR/Luftwaffe strongholds.

ANR
C202
C205
Bf 190F-4
Luftwaffe
Bf 109G-2
Fw 190A-5
Bf 110G-2
Ju-88
Panzer
Ostie
SP-267 (M-3)

vs[/size]

RCAF
B-25 (B-26)
C-47
Spitfire IX
Hurricane IIC
Typhoon
Mosquito
Sherman (T-34)
M-16
M-3

Arena
DAR: Historical
Fuel: 1.0
Downtimes: 2 hours
AAA: .25 norm
Strat: off
Killshooter: off
Friendly collisions: on
Map: TBD (maybe SLOT)
Base capture: 15 troops
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2005, 10:01:33 AM »
The only thing I'd be leary of here is the Typhoon.  I am not sure they served in the theater and I am pretty sure the Axis has nothing that can stop it due to it's low level speed.  The Fw190A-5 is sitting right at about 340mph, more than 30mph slower than the Typhoon down low.  I think the Bf109G-2 is in about the same place.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2005, 10:38:25 AM »
I was thinking the same thing, Karnak.  The Typhoon is completely unstoppable in this setup.  Nothing can touch it for top speed, and almost nothing can touch it for acceleration.  I see it as unbalancing.

-- Todd/Leviathn

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2005, 11:28:46 AM »
Well they need something. If you take out typh you have to add another to allies, or you have to remove one or two from axis. Almost half the axis lineup is available but only 3 RAF fighters?

I was also thinking that the typhie would be the unstoppable plane in this setup, but I think there's a need for something (whatever it is) to fill its place.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2005, 12:00:18 PM »
I don't think so.  The two sides don't need to have equal numbers of airframes.  The Allies will still have jabo capability without the Tiffie and the Spit IX is a fine fighter.  The Hurri IIc and Mossie VI aren't too terrible either.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2005, 12:31:46 PM »
No, the sides don't have to be equal. I'm in agreement with you on that. However you do have to provide at least a minimal amount of options to the allied planes. Hurr2C has guns but it's too slow to be a contender with almost every one of the axis planes. Moss is fast but can't turn worth crap, so basically it's a frustration machine (line up a BNZ, enemy turns, extend, repeat, never get a kill, rtb no gas, get vulched landing).

So basically the only competitive allied fighter is the spit9. And spit9 is good, but vs half a dozen various enemy fighters? Gets a bit old, I'd imagine.

Just an opinion

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2005, 01:03:42 PM »
Heh.  My experience in the Mossie has been quite different.  It is quite lethal, but I will admit that it takes getting used to and I flew it far more than most people ever will.

Maybe add the P-47D-11 or P-38G to the mix?

The problem is that the Typhoon isn't competitive, it is that it is untouchable if it wants to be.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
yank the phoon
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2005, 01:24:05 PM »
Originally posted by Karnak

Maybe add the P-47D-11 or P-38G to the mix?

The problem is that the Typhoon isn't competitive, it is that it is untouchable if it wants to be.

what he said
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2005, 01:24:49 PM »
An option is to sub the Tiffie for the P-47D-25 which the RCAF had (though in limited quantities).  We're taking about the RCAF here, not the USAAF or the RAF.

If not, the tiffie stays. At the time, she was one of the fastest fighters of the war.. at the time.
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2005, 01:43:46 PM »
Did I mention that I love the Typhoon?  It's one of my favorite planes, and I would fly it all the time.  :)

-- Todd/Leviathn

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2005, 02:21:24 PM »
Originally posted by Mister Fork
An option is to sub the Tiffie for the P-47D-25 which the RCAF had (though in limited quantities).  We're taking about the RCAF here, not the USAAF or the RAF.

If not, the tiffie stays. At the time, she was one of the fastest fighters of the war.. at the time.

sometimes history makes boring gameplay
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2005, 07:02:10 AM »
An interesting thing is happening in the CT this week.

Perhaps predictably, the inclusion of the Spit has discouraged many of the regulars from participating.  There's no question (in my mind, at least), that the Spit far outclasses all other planes in this set.  And the Allies don't have a lot of choices, really, so it's hard to blame them for flying Spits.

But while the regulars have disappeared, the numbers have stayed roughly the same.  This is because of the new faces, who have come in to replace the regulars.  Surprisingly, not all of them are flying the Spits.  It's been very enjoyable.

Tonite's the last nite of the setup (I think) - why don't you regulars come back and get our numbers up for one nite?

- oldman

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2005, 08:21:17 AM »
The CT has been empty the last couple of weeks when I manage to get online around midnight to 1am EST.  I think I've seen a handful of players in there only once during that time.

-- Todd/Leviathn

Offline soda72

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2005, 09:50:07 AM »
Originally posted by Oldman731
An interesting thing is happening in the CT this week.

Perhaps predictably, the inclusion of the Spit has discouraged many of the regulars from participating.  There's no question (in my mind, at least), that the Spit far outclasses all other planes in this set.  And the Allies don't have a lot of choices, really, so it's hard to blame them for flying Spits.

But while the regulars have disappeared, the numbers have stayed roughly the same.  This is because of the new faces, who have come in to replace the regulars.  Surprisingly, not all of them are flying the Spits.  It's been very enjoyable.

Tonite's the last nite of the setup (I think) - why don't you regulars come back and get our numbers up for one nite?

- oldman

:noid

storch

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2005, 10:58:07 AM »
every time I've logged on the CT has been 0 players.  The new map in the MA has not helped any I'm sure.  when I log on 2100 if there are people in the CT I'll play.