Author Topic: Flag waving  (Read 1196 times)

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Flag waving
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2001, 07:49:00 PM »
Thank you, easymo, and Toad.  I know he will do a-ok.  Knowing he is going through SERE helps a lot.  I went through the same training and it will give him an edge.

Whatever happens, I will always be proud of him.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Gadfly

• Silver Member
Flag waving
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2001, 08:55:00 PM »
Send your Son my thanks and best wishes.

To me, this is one of those things that is not really open to debate.  Sure, let the little dogs yap, as long as the CnC is strong, he will do the right thing and  the nonsense will slip off his back.  I think that Mr Bush can do that; I have seen it in his actions so far.  Our President is one of those people that really will do what is right, with no regard for his popularity or his "legacy".

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Flag waving
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2001, 09:13:00 PM »
Originally posted by ispar:

There are stupid things, like the firemen complaining about the flag, and then there are idiotic posts like this one....

ispar
from you, I'll take that as a compliment.  :)
I do apologize for the political jab as now is not the time or place for it.

and the beat goes on:

Thursday, Sept. 20, 2001 7:14 PM EST
Cablevision: Boycott Warning Over Flag Ban

Cablevision, one of the nation's largest media conglomerates, continues to thumb its nose and is not backing down on flag ban policy.

At their News 12 operation on Long Island, news employees are asbolutely forbidden to show or wear the American flag while on air.

News director Pat Dolan is getting the full support from Cablevision management for his Stalinist policy.

Cablevision also owns the New York Knicks, Rangers, Radio City Music Hall, the Whiz electronic stores, and the American Movie Classics channel -- among other properties.

Dolan told New York's Newsday he banned the flag being displayed because it might suggest his news employees were taking sides, or even subtly suggesting they support the U.S. government.

To add insult to injury, Dolan went on-air claiming his organization was "patriotic" and criticized people who were complaining about his censorship program because "We should not be distracted by issues like this at a time when we are all focused on tracking down terrorists and helping our country recover."

Though thousands of New Yorks died -- and no doubt thousands of his own paying subscribers lost loved ones, Dolan advised again yesterday ". . . the flag is also a powerful symbol that must be used wisely. That's why, in my opinion, we need to be careful in using it when we're in public reporting the news."

The message is clear from Cablevision, they want the fruits of America's freedom, and the billions that flow into the coffers from Americans and New Yorkers -- but they don't want to let their newscasters "take sides" and show their support for America in this time of crisis.

Maybe there needs to be a message to Cablevision management: lift your ban on the American flag or a major boycott of your media properties will show you how Americans stand when it comes to Cablevision, the Knicks, the Rangers, Madison Square Garden, The Whiz, et al.

and here;

TV Stations Dump Bill Maher

Exclusive: At least three TV stations have dumped ultra-snide "Politically Incorrect" host Bill Maher because of his controversial remarks.

Starting tonight, the ABC stations in Des Moines and Sioux City, Iowa, and Lincoln, Neb., have dropped "Politically Incorrect" from their schedules until further notice, Ray Cole, president and CEO of Citadel Communications, which owns the three stations, told NewsMax.com this afternoon.

"We wanted to give the show an ample opportunity to explain, and in my view apologize," Cole told NewsMax. But he was disappointed in ABC's inaction and Maher's spinning and feeble attempts at apology, which initially included a statement that he's "never been good at grieving" on TV.

Sears, which along with Federal Express yanked ads from "Politically Incorrect," told Reuters news agency: "Bill and his guests have every right to voice their freedom of speech, and we applaud that. However, we have the right to air our broadcast advertising where we feel it's appropriate to reach out to our customers."

In a statement issued through a P.R. flack Wednesday, Maher said his views "should have been expressed differently."

"In no way was I intending to say, nor have I ever thought, that the men and women who defend our nation in uniform are anything but courageous and valiant, and I offer my apologies to anyone who took it wrong," the statement said.

"Too little, too late," said Cole, who was surprised that NewsMax was already reporting his decision, which had been made just this afternoon.

One of the viewers who flooded Cole's stations with complaints about Maher was NewsMax reader Neal J. Fisher, a Drake University student who told us "at least 50 people on campus" were involved in the dump-Maher movement. "There's been a much larger response from the community," he found out after contacting the station.

Cole said he didn't know of any other ABC stations pre-empting Maher yet. But there's hope. Take a stand by contacting your local ABC station and urging it to cancel "Politically Incorrect." Also, to e-mail ABC: abc.audience.relations@abc.com or netaudr@abc.com.

And we salute Ray Cole and his company and Neal J. Fisher and his fellow activists for taking their stand.

_____________________________ _

Skuzzy
I and my family salute all veterans of our arm forces, past present and future - the real freedom fighters <S>
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Cabby44

• Copper Member
Flag waving
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2001, 09:29:00 PM »
All this Dolan moron and the weasel-looking Maher(and those like them) need is a collective <finger> from the rest of us.

If i worked for Cablevision i'd wear my Flag and force 'em to fire me.  And if they did, i'd  deck that Dolan SOB on the way out the door.....

Cabby

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
      • http://sbm.boomzoom.org/
Flag waving
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2001, 10:29:00 PM »
Newsmax    :rolleyes: doesn't even mention (a quote or two woulda been helpful) what Maher actualy said. What did he say?

<edit> D'oh - found a link.

[ 09-20-2001: Message edited by: Nash ]

Offline batdog

• Silver Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com/
Flag waving
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2001, 10:39:00 PM »
This is war that was going to ahppen now or later. IF we wait for later we'd prob see a nuke... or a bio bomb or some other wep of mass destruction. THIS is why the nations of the world are with us. Many of them are much more liberal in nature than us...yet they stand with us? Why...because they SEE the writing on the wall. These Indiv's dont wont anything else but our destruction.. and if we NEGOTIATE with them then that means we'll be easy targets for the next batch of raddicals... ie you dont give us what we want we'll... whatever.

It sucks... but this is a WAR we didnt ask for but its here. You want freedom will guess what... freedom aint free. There's this place in D.C. full of white crosses that can attest to that...

xBAT

P.S. And to all the non-flag PC punks out there..diddly you.
Of course, I only see what he posts here and what he does in the MA.  I know virtually nothing about the man.  I think its important for people to realize that we don't really know squat about each other.... definately not enough to use words like "hate".

AKDejaVu

Offline Dune

• Silver Member
      • http://www.352ndfightergroup.com/
Flag waving
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2001, 03:26:00 AM »
Of course some will say that this is not worth the cost.  But the alternative is worse.  Inaction now will accomplish nothing but embolden terrorists from around the world.  bin Laden attacked the WTC in '93 and we did nothing.  He attacked our embasies and we did nothing (shooting cruise missiles which only turned over a few rocks isn't a reaction).  He damn near sank a US ship and killed our servicemen, and we did nothing.  He (or someone related to his organization) has killed over 6,000 Americans and people from around the world.  What will he do next if we do nothing?

"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without bloodshed; if you will not fight when your victory will be sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may be even a worse fate. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves."

"Let us therefore brace ourselves to our duty,and so bear ourselves that if the British Commonwealth and its Empire lasts for a thousand years, men will still say, 'This was their finest hour."
(House of Commons, 18 June 1940)

- Winston Churchill

And Skuzzy, tell your son that we're praying for him and all those with him.  <S>

[ 09-21-2001: Message edited by: Dune ]

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
Flag waving
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2001, 08:08:00 AM »
Batdog brings up a good point. This time it was hijacked Airliners. What if next time it's anthrax in your city's water supply?
Or Ebola Virus? Or they find a way to infect our livestock with Hoof & mouth disease?

This is a war that MUST be fought.

The difference is that if we don't fight it, and win, it's us civilians that die!

This is nothing less than an all out attack on our culture & way of life.

Offline Swager

• Silver Member
Flag waving
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2001, 10:06:00 AM »
Ghosth!  This is scary.  I was thinking about that just the other day.  Those types of terrorism are right up this guys alley.

That is why we have to do something now.
Rock:  Ya see that Ensign, lighting the cigarette?
Powell: Yes Rock.
Rock: Well that's where I got it, he's my son.
Powell: Really Rock, well I'd like to meet him.
Rock:  No ya wouldn't.

Offline ispar

• Nickel Member
      • http://None :-)
Flag waving
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2001, 10:17:00 PM »
Originally posted by Eagler:

ispar
from you, I'll take that as a compliment.   :)
I do apologize for the political jab as now is not the time or place for it.

It wasn't so much the political thing as the notion that voting a certain way in this nation is "wrong" or incorrect. Simple point of view. Long live a multi-party democracy.

That's good enough for me Eagler, I'll delete the earlier reply.

S!

Offline capt. apathy

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.moviewavs.com/cgi-bin/moviewavs.cgi?Bandits=danger.wav
Flag waving
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2001, 11:06:00 PM »
I agree that war is unavoidable and if not begun soon the situation will just worsen.
But what I would like to have the finish line identified before we begin. What scares me is an open-ended situation, occupying other countries and the like.
We need a clear set of goals, and end this when those goals are met.
From that point we should eliminate these threats as they appear. Imo when some one stands up and says people should kill Americans, that’s a terrorist act and we should take them out as they appear.

and from a purely selfish point of i pray this is under control before my son turns 18.
not much hope of that i guess