Author Topic: Houston  (Read 1656 times)

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
Houston
« Reply #45 on: September 22, 2005, 08:44:03 PM »
I lived in Bear Creek... near Katy.. for years... trust me..

you don't need 4x4.. no hills... no grass... all cement.. well just about anyway

I hope it weakens enough by the time it reaches greater Houston... Was planning on taking a trip down there this fall... show my wife where I grew up.

I hope there's something left to show her...

Also have several aunts and uncles down there.. can't get a hold of them.  I think they all piled together and are on their way to stay up here in st. louis for awhile, hopefully anyway.

I remember when we got hit by hurricane Alisha back in the 80's... did quite a bit of damage and it was no where as powerful as this.  Downtown Houston was several inches of glass from the windows being blown out of the high rise buildings, and trust me it's built up quite a bit since then.

I remember finding a Denny's that had generator power.. and next door was a four story bank building with a glass exterior that somehow was left untouched.. they had a sign out front "Better luck next time, Alisha!"  Well guess what?  She's back.. and she's PISSED.

Good luck and God bless.. just get the heck out of there.

Offline HB555

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
Houston
« Reply #46 on: September 22, 2005, 09:04:57 PM »
I would just like to add, my family and I all wish you guys the best, and there are prayers being said for everyone down there.
If there is anyway we can help any of you from Reno, NV, 775-849-0143 is our home number and 775-848-6201 is my cell number.
Jack "Snoopy" and Lynda Bell
HB555
Snoopy Bell

HB555 A gentleman, with a school boys heart, and crazy enough to think he is a cartoon dog.

Offline SkyTex

• Zinc Member
Houston
« Reply #47 on: September 22, 2005, 09:58:41 PM »
Was schedualed to go pick up oil in houston tonight/tomorrow. That was canceled due to all major routes out of the coast being all 1 way and all clogged up. Still, there are minor ways out. Pull up mapquest and follow FM (Farm to Market) and CR's (Country Roads). I've found hauling gravel that you can get anywhere on backroads. Might be worth checking out anyways.

Was planned to go to ardmore Oklahoma to pick up oil tonight till tomorrow nigh. That was canceled due to I-35 being all northbound. no way home. can't take a loaded tanker truck down the backroads. All routes outbound of the dallas and san-antonio areas are blocked (Exception is westbound I-10 past san antonio).

Now plans are shot all to hell and i'll prolly be hauling DF-blend all day tomorrow, and be shut down till tuesday due to the rain. Luckily the storm keeps tracking more and more east for landfall.

As bad as it may sound, I would have prefered it hitting New Orleans again. Everything is already destroyed, it's 99% evacuated already from katrina. less damage less deaths. Course it coulda hit some damned desert along the mexican coast and been better off.

All in All, You should investigate alternate routes out of the area, but have enough gas to get away from the area. 200 miles would be plenty far if you went west. If your stuck riding it out, Do find someplace sturdier than a house. Check your local library. Those are usually built to withstand a nuclear blast and are certified bomb shelters.

Offline sullie363

• Nickel Member
      • Birds of Prey
Houston
« Reply #48 on: September 22, 2005, 10:04:54 PM »
Current projections show Rita coming ashore north of Houston.  So while it will still be bad in Houston, it won't be as bad as it could have been.  And actually it might not be the best idea to head north anyway, heading south will put more distance between you and where it makes landfall.  But this is all from projections and it could always change course, but it seems to be aiming for the Texas/Louisiana border.
Birds of Prey Raptors
Birds of Prey Film Making Team
Birds of Prey Trainer Corps

<S> PaulB

Offline crowMAW

• Silver Member
Houston
« Reply #49 on: September 22, 2005, 10:13:30 PM »
Originally posted by NoBaddy
Actually, IH-10 West to San Antonio is about as clogged as IH-45 North and US 59 North.

Yeah...that why I was thinking that backroads to Hallettsville and over to Gonzales, then up to San Antonio.

Or just 59 south all the way to Laredo.

Offline AWMac

• Plutonium Member
Houston
« Reply #50 on: September 22, 2005, 10:27:40 PM »
Originally posted by Balsy
Does your wife know about your Boyfriend?

Id be more worried about that.

Balsy

Yeah Balsy she's okay with you, she knows that I'm just a Pitcher and yer the Catcher!

PWNED!

Offline AWMac

• Plutonium Member
Houston
« Reply #51 on: September 22, 2005, 10:32:08 PM »
Originally posted by NoBaddy
Mac...

The latest is that TEXDOT is opening the south bound lanes of all the evac routes for north bound traffic. This should help. Additionally, the current predictions are that it will make land fall east of Houston (the sumbeach is pointed right at me :D). I wish them luck. :)

Wish you luck also NoBaddy, addin you to the Prayers, you, Simm007, FBRaptor, =MIG= and Macs DaddysGirl and future Son in Law.

Prayers to all that couldn't flee in time.

Mac

Offline SIM

• Nickel Member
Am in Louisiana...
« Reply #52 on: September 22, 2005, 11:31:17 PM »
Folks, Im in Bogalusa La right now helping to restore power to folks left in the dark by Katrina. If you all in Houston see Duke Power trucks, that will be my crew. We're on standby to head that way once the storm comes thru....Hope those who cant get out make it thru alright.

SIM

Offline Roscoroo

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.roscoroo.com/
Houston
« Reply #53 on: September 22, 2005, 11:33:51 PM »
Ummmm Sim ... would ya bring back my Sheep pastures and Ewe monthly when your done ?

Btw Good Luck everyone and stay safe.
Roscoroo ,
"Of course at Uncle Teds restaurant , you have the option to shoot them yourself"  Ted Nugent
(=Ghosts=Scenariroo's  Patch donation

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
Houston
« Reply #54 on: September 23, 2005, 05:03:25 PM »
Head south?  Heck this may just be the first time illegal american immigrants are going INTO mexico ;)

Offline FBRaptor

• Copper Member
      • http://www.freebirdshome.us
Houston
« Reply #55 on: September 24, 2005, 02:11:18 PM »
Well guys it's all over for the most part. Houston was spared the worst of this storm and it seems that the worst nightmare stories are of those who spent days on the roads trying to get out and the ones who ran out of gas and were stranded. Anyways, thanks for all concerns and prayers. Now we have 2.5 million people who have to get back :D

Offline dhaus

• Copper Member
Houston
« Reply #56 on: September 24, 2005, 06:43:07 PM »
Good to hear from ya Raptor!!  Was wondering how you were doing while I was watching the storm.

Offline mars01

• Platinum Member
Houston
« Reply #57 on: September 25, 2005, 03:40:48 PM »
LOL Rapt, funny how things work sometimes.  Glad you were on the better end of it and all are mostly safe.  

Offline Holly83

• Silver Member
Houston
« Reply #58 on: September 25, 2005, 05:06:58 PM »
Well, what'd I say? Prayer does make a difference! I'm very glad to hear that Houston wasn't hit directly or anything. There are still a lot of people affected by this last hurricane. Here in Kentucky, we have several people that are coming from Texas to stay while things are being repaired/restored. Many of them are in similar situations as the people after Katrina, so for all of you who are willing to pray, pray that they will get the things that they need, especially food and water. :aok Glad you're safe, Raptor

Offline AWMac

• Plutonium Member
Houston
« Reply #59 on: September 26, 2005, 11:40:15 AM »
My Daughter and her boyfriend made it okay.

But I've aged terribly over the weekend. LOL

:aok

Mac