Author Topic: Motion Sickness  (Read 1151 times)

Offline parin

• Copper Member
Motion Sickness
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2005, 01:19:47 PM »
Whisky58 I am ready to sign the doted line for your study.

As far as people getting sick in airplanes, I have a friend that is a bit closterfobic and wanted to go on a short flight over the local area. It was quite interesting she didnt get motion sickness but wanted out of the plane so bad. Cause she felt traped. Which seemed odd to me cause it does not get more wide open than in the sky.
Wgr 21 works great!

Quick Jam from SkyRock...

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
Motion Sickness
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2005, 02:25:12 PM »
Strange thing is, I have never had any real trouble with motion sickness, go do areobatics for an hour, no problem.

I put on a head tracker for 10mins of testing, i'll be sick with mostly a head ace for a few hours.

HiTech

Offline ALF

• Silver Member
      • http://www.mikethinks.com
Motion Sickness
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2005, 05:03:13 PM »
Originally posted by Kweassa
For some strange reason, I have sevre motion sickness if I even WATCH people play first-person shooters.... but totally OK with AH or other flight sims.

Watching other people play FPS is one of the things MOST likely to cause motion sickness....much more so than playing it yourself.

Offline g00b

• Nickel Member
Motion Sickness
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2005, 05:08:00 PM »
I got woozy the first time I played Decent! Man, there's a game that needs a good re-make. Forbidden just didn't cut it.

I can fly all day long with no problems unless I've eaten someting strange. Like sloppy joe's right before a glider flight, thermaling 'll make ya dizzy quick. Negative G manuevers still cause an instantaneous cold sweat.

g00b

Offline ALF

• Silver Member
Motion Sickness
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2005, 05:38:30 PM »
Originally posted by hitech
Strange thing is, I have never had any real trouble with motion sickness, go do areobatics for an hour, no problem.

I put on a head tracker for 10mins of testing, i'll be sick with mostly a head ace for a few hours.

HiTech

One thing that is very interesting is that most pilots develop a good deal of 'resistance' to basic motion sickness.  This does not however always corelate to game induced sickness.  

I wrote a paper on the subject years ago, and a few results proved helpful:

Some players tend to chain smoke when playing games.  Excessive smoking tends to make you nassious on its own.  This led to the ever so popular decision of not letting my test subjects smoke:huh

It became VERY apparent after a while that people can build up their tollerance to game induced motion sickness.  Diferent people had diferent base tolerances, but almost everyone could drastically improve their tolerance if they worked at it.

Many of the old stand by fixes like turning on  the room lights and moving closer/father from the monitor didnt make much of a diference.  Keep in mind the monitors were 15" back then, so you had to be pretty close;)

There was a huge, unexpected result.  Game engines had a drastic impact on the results.  Some subjects hardly ever got sick playing an Unreal engine game (I think it was unreal), but got felt the effects very quickly playing the Quake engine.  It typically ran heavily in that direction, those that tollerated quake, tollerated unreal, but the reverse was not always true.  Our conclusion was that there was some small effect in the quake engine that caused the 3d rendering to annoy the brain.  We tested with set resolution and kept the FPS up, and the results left little room for any other interpretation.  It also became clear that large outdoor environments were tollerated much better than claustrophobic dungeon crawls.

The keys to helping out those with issues with GIMS were:

Get enough sleep, when you are tired, not only are you more prone to GIMS, but you are less likely to notice the warning signs until your deep into feeling ill.

Build up your tolerances to a game by playing for a short time, and STOP BEFORE YOU FEEL ILL.  Stopping after you start feeling sick didnt seem to help much.  Many short sessions can help most build up tollerances into at least 30+ minutes.

Keep FPS and refresh rates on the monitor up.  70hertz but 60 hurts.  Keep in mind this is for CRTs only, 60 on an LCD doesnt matter cause it doesnt flicker.....we didnt have LCDs when I did this.  You must sacrifice eye candy for smooth gameplay.  Not only does low FPS cause issues on its own, but the induced comtrol lag when a system is beyond its limits makes you think your turning or whatever, but the screen is behind causing brain conflict....thats bad.

DO NOT WATCH OTHERS PLAY.  Because part of GIMS is based on your brain arguing with itself and the input from the inner ear, watching someone else intensifies the issue because your brain cant predict (or control) what is going on.  Almost everyone was uscceptable to at lease some GIMS watching others play.

Ahh well...my wasted youth.

Offline Whisky58

• Copper Member
Motion Sickness
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2005, 05:15:42 AM »
Originally posted by ALF

DO NOT WATCH OTHERS PLAY.  Because part of GIMS is based on your brain arguing with itself and the input from the inner ear, watching someone else intensifies the issue because your brain cant predict (or control) what is going on.  Almost everyone was uscceptable to at lease some GIMS watching others play.
 [/B]

Would this explain why some people get motion sick as passengers in a car but not when driving?
Whisky

Offline CMC Airboss

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.cutthroats.com
Motion Sickness
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2005, 01:52:57 PM »
Originally posted by hitech

HiTech
I had the same experience with a head tracker/3D Glasses combo and found it also screwed up my balance during the next hour.  I've been through Air Combat USA's advanced courses (18 total engagements) with no ill effects whatsoever.

I used to think that true flight sim nirvana would be achieved with a head mounted 3D virtual reality system.  I now realize it would make flight simmming a completely unplayable and nauseating experience.  

MiG

Offline ALF

• Silver Member
Motion Sickness
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2005, 06:24:39 PM »
Originally posted by Whisky58
Would this explain why some people get motion sick as passengers in a car but not when driving?

Somewhat yes.  There is also the issue when riding in a car (or anything for that matter), that the driver tends to look forward, and passangers often look right and left and even inside the car.  So they often feel the motion of the car in ways their brain doesnt understand.

On a slightly related bit:

If you ever get the chance to fly in a med-high G enviroment and think your handling it pretty well...look to the side for a moment....whooopsie...there goes lunch:confused:    Gives my amazing appreciation for fighter pilots, its hard as heck to 'LOOK AROUND' when pulling even a few G's without making me sick as crud.

Offline Morpheus

• Plutonium Member
Motion Sickness
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2005, 07:06:55 PM »
IMO its all your state of mind at the time your flying, how much sleep you had the night before, nerves and things to that nature.

You also build a tollerance to it as your body gets use to it. But it does have alot to do with the above as well.
If you don't receive Jesus Christ, you don't receive the gift of righteousness.

Offline Golfer

• Platinum Member
Motion Sickness
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2005, 07:28:12 PM »
For me if I am in control I am just fine and dandy.  The only time I came close to revisiting my lunch was during an Air Combat USA hop.  RV6 and I wound up in an honest to goodness vertical scissors and since we were maintaining separation and had things under control the IPs let us go.

We wound up nearly nose to nose and I had forward progression on the cockpit of RV6 meaning he'd pass in front of me...much too close for the IPs taste.  We broke it off and in the process my IP pushed us into a -2.5G push after just completing a +4 G pullup.

Having all my internal plumbing pushed down in the seat immediately trying to come out my face didn't go over well and I needed a few minutes and some fresh air to get it together.

Even since, I have no problem riding along during a full on aerobatics program (and none of that sportsman stuff either, mars;)  Keep it up!) but it's all about acclimation.