Author Topic: A Change in Auto Climb  (Read 1027 times)

Offline meddog

• Copper Member
A Change in Auto Climb
« on: September 23, 2005, 08:42:59 AM »
I would like to propose a change in the Auto Climb model.  In the current model, when your activate the Auto Climb feature and your airspeed is below the defalt climb speed or the airpeed set when using the ".speed" command, your aircraft goes in to a dive in order to accelerate to climbing speed.  numerouse times this scareas the crap out of me and I have to scramble to disengage the auto pilot.  I propose instead of going into a dive have the Auto Climb model make the aircraft level off in order to accelerate to climb speed.  It will take longer to acheive climbing speed but its a lot safer and you dont lose altitude.
Yes I know I suck, other wise youuuuu would be dead so stop bragging.

Offline Wilbus

• Platinum Member
A Change in Auto Climb
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2005, 08:56:04 AM »
The auto climb is as you almost said not really autoclimb, it's auto speed.

Some people may even use it to keep the plane in a steady dive (although I see no use for that).

A good thing to do is to just check your speed before engaging it, make sure it is above your auto speed then hit the auto speed key.

I guess I don't agree with you on changing it ;)
Rasmus "Wilbus" Mattsson

Liberating Livestock since 1998, recently returned from a 5 year Sheep-care training camp.

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
A Change in Auto Climb
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2005, 09:05:03 AM »
Originally posted by Wilbus

Some people may even use it to keep the plane in a steady dive (although I see no use for that).

it is very useful when you have had your engine shot out and you are gliding home, hit alt x, .speed to 120 or so and adjust for the best descent rate.

saved my arse many a time doing that.
I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline Wilbus

• Platinum Member
A Change in Auto Climb
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2005, 10:31:35 AM »
Rgr that is one use for sure.
Rasmus "Wilbus" Mattsson

Liberating Livestock since 1998, recently returned from a 5 year Sheep-care training camp.

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
A Change in Auto Climb
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2005, 11:35:56 AM »

I use it to run my buffs home at their max air speed and set the throttle so they loose alt doing it................ fastest (safe) way down from 20K for a formation of lancs

If you do not want to dive for speed then set auto level until you reach or just exceed your climb speed............... then set auto speed.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2005, 11:38:18 AM by Tilt »
Ludere Vincere

Offline Wilbus

• Platinum Member
A Change in Auto Climb
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2005, 01:16:48 PM »
Rgr so there are quite many uses for it :)

And thus would pretty much ruin it for people if it was made autoclimb only.
Rasmus "Wilbus" Mattsson

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
A Change in Auto Climb
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2005, 06:51:24 PM »
There IS no auto climb.

X = auto level (flies you level, no descent no climb)
Shift X = auto angle (the degrees up/down, no relation to speed)
Alt X = auto speed (NOT auto climb. By setting best climb speed you will climb at your best rate, but it is a SPEED setting, and using it for landing or for dives/climbs is very useful).

SIMPLE SOLUTION: hit X. Wait. Hit alt X once speed passes minimum for default climb for your current plane.

Offline APDrone

• Gold Member
A Change in Auto Climb
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2005, 07:12:37 PM »
Originally posted by Krusty
There IS no auto climb.

Alt X = auto speed (NOT auto climb. By setting best climb speed you will climb at your best rate, but it is a SPEED setting, and using it for landing or for dives/climbs is very useful).

Um...  

http://www.hitechcreations.com/ahhelp/keycmds.html
AKDrone

Scenario "Masters of the Air" X.O. 100th Bombardment Group

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
A Change in Auto Climb
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2005, 07:37:53 PM »
Every aircraft has a .speed default. When you spawn the aircraft that is loaded. It's as if the computer says "okay, he took a 109g6, I'm going to type .speed 160 in the buffer but not show it". This .speed value changes for every plane in the game. When you hit alt X the computer checks current speed.

If current speed > .speed value,
  nose up
Else if current speed < .speed value
  nose down
end if

The fact that you climb is just secondary to matching a specific speed. Each aircraft has, by default, the speed at which the highest average rate of climb is found, so thus, when you engage alt x, you fly at the speed which produces best climb.

That doesn't make it an auto climb, it just climbs (or dives) to match the speed it has in memory. Also note that  you can change this speed to anything from 100-500 by typing .speed xxx in console.

Offline Wilbus

• Platinum Member
A Change in Auto Climb
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2005, 03:07:33 AM »
Yes it says Auto Climb in the key chart APDrone but what it really is, is what Krusty says, auto speed.

That the plane climbs is because the speed is set low enough for it to climb.
One can take a Me 163 and put speed to 400 and it will climb. One can take a P51 and put speed to 400 and it will dive (quite steep too)
Rasmus "Wilbus" Mattsson

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
A Change in Auto Climb
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2005, 07:44:10 AM »
Thanks but no thanks.

I use auto "speed" all the time in all kinds of planes for all kinds of purposes.

All you really have to do is remember to speed up first, THEN engage it.

Or use Shift X to hold nose slightly high while you gain speed/elevation. Then switch to autospeed.

Personal favorites for autospeed are

A: 15k in lancs & heading for home. .speed 350, alt x. Keeps it from overspeeding & breaking wings plus makes me darn tough to catch.

B: Me 163 .speed 200 engine on to 15k, then glide to 10k, rinse & repeat.

C In any bomber if your under attack.
Man the tail gun, use .speed to porpoise your plane WHILE shooting at the bad guy. .speed 150 (climb) .speed 250 (dive) rinse & repeat as needed.

Offline APDrone

• Gold Member
A Change in Auto Climb
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2005, 08:00:47 AM »
Yes it says Auto Climb in the key chart APDrone but what it really is, is what Krusty says, auto speed.

That the plane climbs is because the speed is set low enough for it to climb.
One can take a Me 163 and put speed to 400 and it will climb. One can take a P51 and put speed to 400 and it will dive (quite steep too)

Well, if the chief coader and bottle washer approves that it shall be called 'Auto (pilot) Climb', then I tend to go with him.

In AW, you hit autopilot and the plane flew, more or less, level.  You had no stable setting to make the plane climb automatically.

In WW2OL, you have no stable way to make the plane climb automatically.

In AH, you hit ALT-X  and, eventually, the plane climbs, stably, automatically.

I would qualify that as 'Auto Climb'.

If you go and muck around with other settings, yes, you can make the command have a different effect.

Nothing says that a 'climb' has to always be 'up'.  ( Do you dive from a tree, or climb down? )

It's a semantics thing, I guess.

The boss says it's 'auto climb'.  I can live with that.
AKDrone

Offline Wilbus

• Platinum Member
A Change in Auto Climb
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2005, 09:36:25 AM »
The key chart may say it is auto climb but AH says it's auto speed. Whichever way you want, doesn't matter much to me.

Default speed makes your plane climb sure enough.

Climbing down from a tree can't be compared to climbing *down* in an airplane. If you think that climbing down in an airplane can be used in any way I sugest you look it up in a dictionary (part from maybe climbing in to the cockpit) :)

Either way, back to the discussion. Personally I wouldn't wanna see a change in auto speed settings.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2005, 09:39:58 AM by Wilbus »
Rasmus "Wilbus" Mattsson

Offline J_A_B

• Gold Member
A Change in Auto Climb
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2005, 09:14:13 PM »
"You had no stable setting to make the plane climb automatically."

Sure you did.  You could let go of the control stick with the airplane pointed up.  

J_A_B

Offline APDrone

• Gold Member
A Change in Auto Climb
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2005, 09:21:08 PM »
Originally posted by J_A_B
"You had no stable setting to make the plane climb automatically."

Sure you did.  You could let go of the control stick with the airplane pointed up.  

J_A_B

It's been so long, I just remember the autopilot on the deck.. flying a goon at 100 feet, set autopilot, get a beer.. come back.. and ... where did you go when you died?  The briefing room?  ..
AKDrone