Author Topic: Super vrs Uber  (Read 19217 times)

Offline OttoJ

• Persona Non Grata
  • Zinc Member
Super vrs Uber
« Reply #45 on: September 27, 2005, 08:19:20 PM »
LOL How many C-Hogs were made? Why didn't they make more of them? Because it was a POS that only works in the mechanically perfect world of AH. The Bf109 will accelerate, climb and turn better than any contemporary F4U as well as be faster at altitude and similar in SL speed (usually faster). Seems to me the F4U was "outdated" right off the drawing board.

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
Super vrs Uber
« Reply #46 on: September 27, 2005, 08:52:07 PM »
Originally posted by OttoJ
Seems to me the F4U was "outdated" right off the drawing board.

Nice troll....Utter BS, but nice effort anyway.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline OttoJ

• Persona Non Grata
  • Zinc Member
Super vrs Uber
« Reply #47 on: September 27, 2005, 09:33:31 PM »
Just returning the sentiment Widewing. Fact is neither aircraft was outdated.

Offline Rafe35

• Silver Member
Super vrs Uber
« Reply #48 on: September 27, 2005, 10:02:36 PM »
Originally posted by OttoJ
LOL How many C-Hogs were made? Why didn't they make more of them? Because it was a POS that only works in the mechanically perfect world of AH. The Bf109 will accelerate, climb and turn better than any contemporary F4U as well as be faster at altitude and similar in SL speed (usually faster). Seems to me the F4U was "outdated" right off the drawing board.

Any contemporary F4U?  Outdated?  Yeah right.
Rafe35
Former member of VF-17 "Jolly Rogers"

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
Super vrs Uber
« Reply #49 on: September 28, 2005, 12:29:30 AM »
Otto aside,

...despite some good points, I still think it's a bit pushing it to say that the contemporaries for some of the Luftwaffe planes listed are those you've listed, F4UDOA.

Sure, there are many reasons on why some of the allied prop-fighters weren't fighting yet, perhaps one of them being that the Allies, by the end of 1944, were pretty much confident in their air superiority and would rather push their priorities to researching the jet aircrafts and such.

However, facts fact, and history just didn't happen that way. Even Widewing's post makes people raise eyebrows rather than really support your point... I mean, P-51H deployed 8 days before VJ day... F8F not arrived at the front yet... F7F deployed 1 day before VJ day.... ?

The Gloster Meteor would probably be the only plane that should be rightfully considered as a possibility in the roster. However, on the contrary, all of the LW aircraft listed were already at squadron service, some deployed at large numbers, and have been fighting for quite some time before VE day. Be it one day or even one week, if a plane did not fight in the war, then it's not part of the war. If we can grant a waiver on such "what-ifs", no matter how tempting it might be, what's their to stop some planes that were in pre-production phase, or even prototype phase, to stop them from appearing in the game?

Bf109Zs? Do335s? He162 Volksjager jets?

I know how tempting it could be, especially if some people keep comparing planes out of context.. however, I don't think two wrongs would make a right. I don't want any what-ifs in the game.

Seeing 1C:Maddox waste their resources on cheap attractions to boost interest in their otherwise very well made game, was the biggest disappointment upto date. I don't want HTC to walk the same path.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Super vrs Uber
« Reply #50 on: September 28, 2005, 12:30:32 AM »
Widewing,

OttoJ manged to finally do what even Kurfurst hasn't managed to do, get me to put somebody on the ignore list.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Larry

• Platinum Member
Super vrs Uber
« Reply #51 on: September 28, 2005, 01:04:55 AM »
Kweassa I thought the peoples fighter was in action before VE day.
Once known as ''TrueKill''.
JG 54 "Grünherz"
July '18 KOTH Winner

Offline OttoJ

• Persona Non Grata
  • Zinc Member
Super vrs Uber
« Reply #52 on: September 28, 2005, 04:46:12 AM »
Originally posted by Karnak
Widewing,

OttoJ manged to finally do what even Kurfurst hasn't managed to do, get me to put somebody on the ignore list.

Again? Didn't you put me on ignore in the Lanc thread?

Offline OttoJ

• Persona Non Grata
  • Zinc Member
Super vrs Uber
« Reply #53 on: September 28, 2005, 04:47:57 AM »
Originally posted by Larry
Kweassa I thought the peoples fighter was in action before VE day.

Yes the Volksjager was in squadron service before VE day.

Offline OttoJ

• Persona Non Grata
  • Zinc Member
Super vrs Uber
« Reply #54 on: September 28, 2005, 04:57:30 AM »
People seem to not get my sarcasm. Perhaps I should use sarcasm-tags or something.

Obviously the F4U wasn't an outdated design. I just find it funny that F4UDOA says the 109 was outdated when the 109 still outperformed (marginally) the F4U. Pointing out that flawed logic seems to upset people. Go figure.

Offline Kurfürst

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.kurfurst.org
Super vrs Uber
« Reply #55 on: September 28, 2005, 05:37:51 AM »
Originally posted by F4UDOA
Otto,

Really? Take a 1943 F4U-1 and a 1943 109G and see if you can outrun it? Now try turning or diving.

Depends on which 109G you talk about. The 109G-2 did 666kph/415 mph at altitude. At 1942 ratings, that is. Probably the Corsair would outrun it at lower alts, depending on boost, but they were different birds, the Gustav was meant for high altitudes, the Corsair for low-medium.

The F4U from 1943 wasnt any faster, even a bit slower than that.
Now if I want to be really mean, add GM-1 to the 109G, and try to outrun it at 30000 feet. I very much in doubt that even the F4U4 could catch it.

A for turning, I see no reason why the F4U should be so superior, even equal to the plane that was well known to be excellent in turning.

As others said, if you dont really know Axis planes, dont make statements on them, but educate yourself.

BTW:

ca1600 FW 190D-9s were produced
ca1700 Bf 109K-4s were produced
ca 2600 Bf 109G-10 were produced
ca 1400 Me 262s were produced.

I can educate you on operational numbers as well, should you bring up the arguement "they never reached to front anyway". Lets see 109K. Introduced in Oct 1944, there were about 150 by the end of the month. By November, it rose to 200, at it stayed at that in December. By the end of January 1945, there were 314 around, or 25% of all Bf 109s in the frontline.

Now compare that to the planes you mentioned. The analogy simply doesnt stand.
The Messerschmitt Bf 109 Performance Resource Site
http://www.kurfurst.org

Offline F4UDOA

• Silver Member
      • http://mywebpages.comcast.net/markw4/index.html
Super vrs Uber
« Reply #56 on: September 28, 2005, 08:51:46 PM »
Bruno,

Sorry the Allies won the war, I don't need to learn that language nor do I care to. If you live there great, if you don't then you should probably stop wearing the Lederhosen (And I hope that spelling is butchered too).

Everyone else.

Was the 109 outdated? What was the design purpose of the airplane? What role did it fill?

It is simple really.

1. The 109 was the best aircraft of it's type prior to the war. It was not just a point defensive aircraft. It was used as an offensive weapon. It had a head start on all other types.

2. Mid-war it's performance is matched by many other aircraft and even surpassed by some. Meanwhile the airplane is putting on weight. Wing loading is increasing as is power to keep up with more contemporary designs.

3. Late war, now it is really bloated. High wing loading, still marginal range, high power, fast with fast climb and marginal at best bomb carrying. Compare that to the P-51D, P-47D and P-38L (Not including British aircraft)?

Did it still have a head start on the others? Was it faster, did it have better range? Did it carry heavy ordinance? Or was it limited to defensive duty? And all with poor wingloading.

It had no more room for operational growth on it airframe. In other words it reached it's design limits. The heavier it go the more useless it became. Where as the P-47, P-51 and P-38 became more useful and versatile.

Hence the 109 became outdated and there is only one end to this story and we all know it.

Offline Bruno

• Silver Member
      • http://4jg53.org
Super vrs Uber
« Reply #57 on: September 28, 2005, 10:30:26 PM »
Sorry the Allies won the war,

What does 'who won World War 2' have to do with anything in this thread?

It's really pathetic that you need to get so defensive when someone challenges your argument. You go so far as to hijack your own thread in order to 'score some point'. You ramble from one nonsensical point to another...

Are you a professional clown? Maybe a frustrated one at that...

I don't need to learn that language nor do I care to.

Its obvious that you don't care to learn English, look at your replies.

Hence the 109 became outdated and there is only one end to this story and we all know it.

No, its only you clinging to that opinion. It seems to be based on your own irrational bias. This bias is easily spotted when reading some of your other replies in this section of the forum. Its equally apparent by your defensive attitude here.

Hohun answered you directly in regards to the 109. Both he and Kurfurst went into some detail explaining the performance relationship between your '43 F4U and a '43 Gustav. As I suggested above if you expect to be taken seriously then maybe you should research the 109 and educate yourself a bit.

Offline OttoJ

• Persona Non Grata
  • Zinc Member
Super vrs Uber
« Reply #58 on: September 29, 2005, 12:23:41 AM »
When the F4U's were being rolled over the side of their carriers and the P-47's were chopped up for scrap, the 109 was still in production. Funny the 109 outlived all its wartime rivals.

Offline Debonair

• Gold Member
Super vrs Uber
« Reply #59 on: September 29, 2005, 02:36:38 AM »
Except the C-47, which was in combat into the 1970s. So it is settled, C-47 best combat plane of WWII.