Author Topic: 2nd Amendment today  (Read 666 times)

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
2nd Amendment today
« on: September 20, 2001, 11:48:00 AM »
Has the relevance of the 2nd changed in any way since Sept 11?

Yeager
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Udie

• Gold Member
2nd Amendment today
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2001, 01:07:00 PM »
I'll be buying a gun withing the next month or 2. Just incase they start terror bombing US cities.

I just can't make up my mind on what to get. Pistol or Rifle or both.   If I get a pistol I'm sure I'll get some sort of .45.  I'm looking for an old m1 or ar-15 for the rifle, but wouldn't rule out a deer rifle either.  I am leaning towards something that can be made automatic though, but I can't afford an ar-15  :( $1200 and up.

I may not though, as I'm considering joining the national guard.  Just haven't made up my mind yet.  32 yrs old and WAY outa shape. Smoked for 20 yrs now (both kinds  ;) ) Think they could get me in shape in 8-10 weeks?

U

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
2nd Amendment today
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2001, 01:21:00 PM »
Hey Udeeeee.

A .45 is a good start.  If you want a cheap rifle that can be made f/a quickly and easily, get yourself either an M14 or an AK variant.  Ar-15's require a bunch of parts, plus milling to the lower receiver to go rock and roll.  You can do an AK with a zap-strap.  Since you mentioned price was a factor, grab a cheap AK and a dozen mags for it (they go for about 10$ a crack at shop outside Ft. Lewis in WA).

Offline MrBill

• Nickel Member
2nd Amendment today
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2001, 01:48:00 PM »
I'd go for the m14, it has enough barrel to do long range work if the opportunity arises, and is selectable with the twist of a key.
We do not stop playing because we grow old
We grow old because we stop playing

Offline batdog

• Silver Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com/
2nd Amendment today
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2001, 01:53:00 PM »
I'm an NRA advocate... but getting a pistol or a rifle isnt going to make a damn bit of difference vrs terrorists. They're not gonna strike in armed bands... at least in a place where you have your firearms ready. if you get a pistol or a rifle then consider where to store it safely and remember people get really stupid around firearms... and kids have no fear or sense of death with one in thier hands....

The national guard units are primarly combat oriented units thus the way todays military relies on reserve and NG units for numerical support there is a fair to good chance for deployment... so if you have a family and or career think hard about it before a sudden emotional decision. Your also 32 so I think your to old fo an indiv w/no prior miltary experience... and basic would really be hard on you as well both from a physical stand point and mental as an older civilian has a hard time adapting to a guy in a round brown reaming your bellybutton for shoddy boots and such.

xBAT

P.S. I dont wont to sound neg about the enlistment thing but I've seen alot of guys make quick decisions about the miltary and then hate it...and in the guard/reserves you can goto inactive reserve status... so the unit loses you and the time/money spent on training you...

[ 09-20-2001: Message edited by: batdog ]
Of course, I only see what he posts here and what he does in the MA.  I know virtually nothing about the man.  I think its important for people to realize that we don't really know squat about each other.... definately not enough to use words like "hate".

AKDejaVu

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
2nd Amendment today
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2001, 02:23:00 PM »
Originally posted by batdog:
I'm an NRA advocate... but getting a pistol or a rifle isnt going to make a damn bit of difference vrs terrorists.

Maybe not, but it sure gives piece of mind, and burning powder is just plain fun ;)
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
2nd Amendment today
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2001, 02:28:00 PM »
You can get an AR-15 for about $600 new if you look around.  I payed about $520 for mine, though I bought it in pieces and assembled it myself.

The M1 is going to cost a considerable ammount of money if you want it in .308.  I'd guess somewhere between $800 and $1200.  A sporting goods store near me is selling the 30-06 versions for $499.

AKDejaVu

Offline batdog

• Silver Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com/
2nd Amendment today
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2001, 02:34:00 PM »
Best wep for home defense is... a shotgun. Pump action. Get a mossburg 590 w/the parkerized finish.

xBAT
Of course, I only see what he posts here and what he does in the MA.  I know virtually nothing about the man.  I think its important for people to realize that we don't really know squat about each other.... definately not enough to use words like "hate".

AKDejaVu

Offline Dune

• Silver Member
      • http://www.352ndfightergroup.com/
2nd Amendment today
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2001, 02:44:00 PM »
A lot of people say the shotgun is best, but my research has shown that to not be true.

Shotguns are long and tend to be unweildy in a house.  They are also easier to grab.

My suggestion would be a Glock in 9mm or .45.  Personally, I don't like the Glock, but it is an accurate weapon, pretty foolproof and reliable.  Perhaps its best attribute for home defense is that there is no safety to worry about.  Just rack the action and go.  You can also get them in different frame sizes to better fit your hand.

With a little practice and some 230grain hollowpoints, a Glock .45 would be my recomendation.

Offline Udie

• Gold Member
2nd Amendment today
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2001, 02:44:00 PM »
I'm not thinking home defence  ;)  AND I have no kids to worry about.  With the gun comes the carry permit too  ;)  long range shooting is why I'm thinking m14 or ar15.  I can get chinese AK's at gunshows in houston for around 500 or so.

I understand I'm probobly/hopefuly being paranoid.  I just want to make sure I can defend myself and others if the need arises, which seems alot more likely today than 2 weeks ago...

U

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
2nd Amendment today
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2001, 02:49:00 PM »
LOL the SKS is a reliable gun, but dont expect stellar accaracy from it. I would love a Garand that has been doctored up to shoot great groups. An Ar15 would be a blast too. <sigh>, bills, bills, and life prevents me from those investments anymore.
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
2nd Amendment today
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2001, 02:49:00 PM »
I got a Montana hide-away, accessible by only  two directions, helicopter, or a road whereas you look DOWN on the road, and the road is 4XD accessible only, any 2nd amendment rights supporters are welcome there if/when the world goes to hell, granted you've gone thru the biological screen process (walk past the deer, catch one and kiss it, if it dies, you're not allowed up that road...)

Offline Udie

• Gold Member
2nd Amendment today
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2001, 03:38:00 PM »
Originally posted by Ripsnort:
I got a Montana hide-away, accessible by only  two directions, helicopter, or a road whereas you look DOWN on the road, and the road is 4XD accessible only, any 2nd amendment rights supporters are welcome there if/when the world goes to hell, granted you've gone thru the biological screen process (walk past the deer, catch one and kiss it, if it dies, you're not allowed up that road...)

what if I can't catch it?  :)

U