Author Topic: Curious historical observation  (Read 453 times)

Offline miko2d

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Curious historical observation
« on: June 29, 2001, 10:15:00 AM »
In many books I've read, I encountered derogatory references to German WWII Vermaht as extremely "top heavy" meaning that it had extremely high ratio of officers to "grunts".
 Assuming of course that the officers are the "ballast" and dead weight and the real fighting is done by the soldiers with rifles.

I would understand that attitude if Vermaht proved lousy but in fact it was superior to all other forces.

It looks like the authors forget that while Germany was defeated in WWII, it's army was heavily outnumbered in most battles and still achieved spectacular victories or at least favorable loss ratios in defeat.

miko

Offline Pepe

• Silver Member
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2001, 11:03:00 AM »
Don't know by heart the structure, I think it's right but only in the numbers, not in the "weight". If we are to number what were the main reasons for Wehrmacht's success in early stages of the war, I would mention:

a) Their approach to line of command. Officers, either hight or low rank were commanding troops in the very front line, often taking physical risks.

b) Combined usage of Armoured + Tactical Air Forces. This change radically the speed the battle developped.

These two aspects gave German army the edge in the beginning.

French approach to war was mostly the opposite. Armoured was saw as a side force, in service of infantry, with little to none credit given to airforce. Line of command was everything but close to landscape, and guidelines painted the high ranked officers commanding the battle far into friendly line, and safe from risks.

The reason for that was that guiding troops was mostly an intellectual exercise, and war was, more or less, some real version of chess. The important thing was a clear line of command, and good force deployment.

Traditional thinking painted war with continuous front, 5 to 15 days ploughing resources into the front, dense artillery fire for another good couple of days minimum, and finally infantry attack. Only in this way you can explain locking the best of their troops into the Maginot line, and their Armoured far from front line.

German army used Armoured to penetrate into enemy lines, disrupting communication and supply lines. The main point was "momentum" and speed, and they laid aside resistance points, which either depleted their resurces, or were blasted by Lüftwaffe, should they threaten German lines.

This way of acting required more officers, since initiative was more important than clear-cut line of command, and war became even more "fuzzy". That would explain why a "heavier" structure was far more "agile" in practice.

Cheers,

Pepe

Offline miko2d

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2001, 12:34:00 PM »
Originally posted by Pepe:
Don't know by heart the structure, I think it's right but only in the numbers, not in the "weight". If we are to number what were the main reasons for Wehrmacht's success in early stages of the war, I would mention:
Pepe

With all due respect, Pepe, your views contain many misconceptions that I used to share untill I junked history books written by historians and journalists and started reading books written by professionals (military strategists) and participants - like Liddel Hart, John Keegan, Kurt Tippelskirh, Erich Von Manstein, W. Chirchill, ets.

a) Their approach to line of command. Officers, either hight or low rank were commanding troops in the very front line, often taking physical risks.
 Quite the opposite. Germans had strict separation since times of Moltke:
 1) Staff officers that were planning strategy, never saw combat and were more mathematicians and logistic experts then military.
 Germans invented and perfected the theory of analytical operation that makes heavy use of math (differential equations, etc) to plan their strategy, maneuver and predict the results of combat.
 2) Line officers that were strictly leaders and were only responcible for local tactical matters.

b) Combined usage of Armoured + Tactical Air Forces. This change radically the speed the battle developped.These two aspects gave German army the edge in the beginning.
 If you mean that they used their planes to conduct reconnaisance, direct their armoured columns around the enemy strongpoints and provide air cover then it is true. But we are not really talking about battle here but maneuver.

French approach to war was mostly the opposite. Armoured was saw as a side force, in service of infantry, with little to none credit given to airforce. Line of command was everything but close to landscape, and guidelines painted the high ranked officers commanding the battle far into friendly line, and safe from risks.
 Same as germans and just what it was supposed to be.

The reason for that was that guiding troops was mostly an intellectual exercise, and war was, more or less, some real version of chess.
 Exactly what it is. And as in chess, a player with inferior staregy loses, so no reason to blame the board. You see much more of a battle from head-quarters then from a turret of a tank. Times of genrals leading their troops in a charge instead of directing the battle were over at the time of greek hoplites. If you are talking about directing and leading local action, that is what leutenants are for, not generals.

Traditional thinking painted war with continuous front, 5 to 15 days ploughing resources into the front, dense artillery fire for another good couple of days minimum, and finally infantry attack. Only in this way you can explain locking the best of their troops into the Maginot line, and their Armoured far from front line.
 First, that is exactly the way germans did with great success. Except that there was not and artillery barrage and then an attack but a painstainking several-day long penetration, reconnaisance by fire in close cooperation with artillery and slow advance.

Second, the problem of french was that they did not keep their tanks far enough and concentrated enough behind their line. Then they would have been able to maneuver and counter the advances of german columns that broke through into their rear, instead of being cut of at the fornt.
 Tanks were lousy at the defence - artillery was more effective and much more cost-efficient.

German army used Armoured to penetrate into enemy lines, disrupting communication and supply lines. The main point was "momentum" and speed, and they laid aside resistance points, which either depleted their resurces, or were blasted by Lüftwaffe, should they threaten German lines.
 Quite the opposite again - if you mean penetration as in "penetrate the resistance". When german army were on the offencive, they righly chose light armor and armament for their tanks in favor of better speed and longer operational range.
 The goal of tanks was disruption of enemy rear and communications.
 Only wher the war turned defencive to them they produced "anti-tank" heavy tanks like Tiger and Panther, but those were not as cost-effective (for defence) as much more produced self-propelled AT guns.
 Even heavy tanks would suffer extremely heavy casualties while breaking through prepared enemy defences. Even if you throw enough of them to break the defence, they would lose their battle order and would not be suitable for deep operations the tanks were designed for.
 That I can personally vouch as a former tanker. It's hard enough to keep battle order  without enemy shooting at you, and in deep operations the tanks had to move fast and that could only be done in column formations on roads. If you have to shoot someone or get shot at yourself, the deep tank operation is usualy over... And do not get me started on how often the damned things break... Tanks are too fragile to be used in combat.

That is why tanks were not really designed for blowing stuff up or taking damage. Tracks and engine are tank primary weapons, not armor or firepower.
 One solution would be to use one group of tanks for breaking the defence and the other fresh one for entering into the breach. But that was impossible for many reasons. First, germans did not have that many tanks (russians did by the end of war, though). Second, germans were reluctant to lose experienced crews. Third, the enemy can amass anti-tank defence as fast as you can amass tanks for attack (and tanks gathered for attack are hard to hide, vulnerable to artillery or aviation strikes - russians in 41 and arabs in 67 can testify to that). Once a battle starts, enemy can move resources much better in his territory then you can move them through the occupied terrotory - that is the reason any offencive operation is mathematically  destined to stall. If you do not know strategy math wery well, you could actually extend a bit further then optimal - and pay the heaviest price for that.
 So german tanks never penetrated anything. All penetration was done strictly be the infantry supported by artillery. Only when the front was broken did germans send their tank columns through.

In fact the some amasingly effective operations in WWII were conducted without tanks altogether - Manstein besieged and captured Sevastopol and Krimea without a single tank and with enemy air superiority. In fact, he had fewer troops then defending russians did.

This way of acting required more officers, since initiative was more important than clear-cut line of command, and war became even more "fuzzy". That would explain why a "heavier" structure was far more "agile" in practice.
 That also believe is true. When you fight with maneuver and mathematics, you win by through strategy, tactics and logistics rather then by killing all anemy soldiers. And once killing is less essential, there is less need for grunts with guns, heavy weapons or thick armor.

Of course the victors who considered 6:1 casualty rate acceptable somehow decided that their ways were more correct because they won.

Thanks for you reply.
 miko

[ 06-29-2001: Message edited by: miko2d ]

Offline Pepe

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2001, 05:33:00 AM »
Miko,

Thks for your considerations.

Of course there was staff planning. Every bit of it centralized in OKW. Sorry if I gave the impression of forgetting the difference between staff and line. It is so obvious that I thought you were talking strictly to line officers.

Now, with regards to your reply:

a) Quite the opposite. Germans had strict separation since times of Moltke:

German high rank line officers were indeed close to the battlefield, in opposition to the then current french approach. Even as high ranked as generals were close to the battlefield. This does not means lack of separation between staff and line, but a wiser conception of war. Once you have planned strategics, execution of this strategic will have to be flexible, both in terms of tactical movements and strategic goals, and adapt to a changing environment, as the frontline implies. That's why german army (both Lüftwaffe and Wehrmacht) was far more efficient than french one.

b) ...we are not really talking about battle here but maneuver.

That's the point. Manouvering was radically changed, both in depth and speed by the usage of Armoured and Airpower instead of Artillery and Infantry. French (let alone Poland) were, above all, outmanouvered, not "outbattled". In fact, but for point resistance, there was no battle, neither the first offensive, Sedan, (Belgique-Holland) nor the second one, Ardennes (Maginot line). Only French lines were overan by armoured & paras (Eben-Emael), combined with airpower.

...Same as germans and just what it was supposed to be... and Exactly what it is. And as in chess, a player with inferior staregy loses, so no reason to blame the board. You see much more of a battle from head-quarters then from a turret of a tank. Times of genrals leading their troops in a charge instead of directing the battle were over at the time of greek hoplites. If you are talking about directing and leading local action, that is what leutenants are for, not generals.

Germans used line of command to pretty much alter the plans as battle developed. The crossing of river Mose was a perfect example of that, with armoured running and not waiting for infantry, and getting deeper and deeper. The headquarter has a better overall and time-offset view. The battlefield has always the primacy when real time information is needed. If you have no front-line generals, with full knowledge of the strategics involved in each tactic, you lack the possibility to adapt timely to undesired/unpredicted turns of the battleflow. French headqarters were informed with 1 to 2 days lag. They have a perfectly comprehensive obsolete picture of the battlefield. 4 days after Germans crossed the Mose (if my memory suits me well), they had no communications with the "frontline" whatsoever. Hardly they could react to a battle very ill-prepared from their side. Germans had their generals close to the battlefield, so they could make real-time decissions about manouvers, battles, strongpoints to be taken/left aside, waypoints, underschedule/overschedule objectives, etc. No leutenant is capable of doing this properly.

Second, the problem of french was that they did not keep their tanks far enough and concentrated enough behind their line. Then they would have been able to maneuver and counter the advances of german columns that broke through into their rear, instead of being cut of at the fornt.
Tanks were lousy at the defence - artillery was more effective and much more cost-efficient.
and So german tanks never penetrated anything. All penetration was done strictly be the infantry supported by artillery. Only when the front was broken did germans send their tank columns through...

The problem with french (and with later war germans) were precisely the "point defense" concept. Should french launch a counter attack with their tanks & disrupt german supply lines and logistics (I think it's good to remember that french armoured was superior both in numbers and in tank quality to german, at that early stage of the war), the battle could have a different outcome. That would have been a correct usage of french armour. Not to have it deep in friend territory, but use them to flank German penetration and cut their supply line. Let them penetrate, let them lengthen their lines, and bag them. But that would need a change in French war doctrine. Gamelin was not the man for that.

Artillery defenses were just a bit short of worthless when you have no air superiority. Usually, german offensives were led by preventive air strikes on communications and supply depots, and then tanks took the offensive. Wiht regards to french deffensive artillery, it was wiped out by the Lüftwaffe, in the first intended CAS role in aviation's history, as far as I know. Tankers called Airpower in their help when static defensive artillery was found and could not be overan or destroyed. Then stukas (mainly) blew up the site and penetration resumed.

German tanks did penetrate deep in French defenses. In fact the development was parallel to a traditional artillery-infantry movement, only saled way up in distance and speed. They used airpower-armour in the same way, and aimed specifically to communication and logistic centres. The first beach head was put up by infantry, the first bridge over Mose river was taken by infantry, but from that moment on, the initiative was on the Tank-Plane duet. Definitely not on the artillery-infantry one.

Maybe this is only due to lack of proper personal anti-tank weapons at that time of the war, maybe not. The fact is that the first years of WWII bears one name, Blitzkrieg. In my opinion, germans were great on the offensive, and only average on the defensive. They tied themselves (wether intentionally of forced) to static defense, and, from that moment on (I would say Stalingrad was the epithome and the turning point on german army's attitude, from a moving, fast, manouver focus to a mainly static one) the war was pretty much lost for them. Of course I admit that the defeat in BoB was their first (and probably most important) failure, but the change in attitude is observed (IMHO) only from Stalingrad onwards.

Best Regards,

Pepe

Offline miko2d

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2001, 09:21:00 AM »
Hi, Pepe.

All great points. I wish we could talk about that in person - BB is not the best format for that kind of converstaion.

That's the point. Manouvering was radically changed, both in depth and speed by the usage of Armoured and Airpower instead of Artillery and Infantry. French (let alone Poland) were, above all, outmanouvered, not "outbattled".
 The French were positioned for 1916-style "trench war". The poles were positioned for offencive or at least "hold all - keep nothing". They both were destined for defeat on the planning stage.
 While great german field commanders could improve some locall odds and react to some minor inconvenience more efficiently, their main task was not to screw up.
 German offencive was not an adventure relying on the brilliance of a point-man pulling the victory out of a desperate situation. It was by-the book. Of course the field officers' high level of competence was assumed by german planning, but not any miracles.

French headqarters were informed with 1 to 2 days lag. They have a perfectly comprehensive obsolete picture of the battlefield.
 I do believe it was largely due to better quality/preparedness/implementation of germans then the flaw of the design. Of course french were victors in WWI, so they saw less need to improve.
 They most likely did not plan for any coordination in case of enemy deep in french territory and their communications were not up to task.

Of course it is hard to tell for sure, even with eyewitness accounts.

miko

Offline Pepe

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2001, 02:47:00 AM »
Miko,

I agree this kind of conversation is quite odd via BBS. Still better than having nothing    :)

With regards to your points, I feel we have some common ground, when you say that both poles and french were defeated long before the war actually started. Poles even made  cavalry charges against german armour!

I also agree with you when you say german offensive was not and adventure... but german officials "read" the battlefield and their hands were not as tightly tied as the french were. In spite of this, they were keen to exploit any opportunity saw in combat, and the worst sin of all, in the eyes of OKW (aka. Hitler himself) was lack of initiative.

The communicates from [edit] french [/edit] frontline posts to central HQ 2 days after german army crossing Mose stated literally that "they were not too concerned about the situation". Besides that anecdotal datum, the collapse of the french army was both a matter of bad communications and bad morale wich lead to panic. First, they were deeply impressed by german success in Belgium and Holland, and still shocked by Dunkirk's siege.

When the second blow began, it seems that panic began in an antitank battery on seeing Panzers burst out of Ardennes forest (again, if my memory do not betray me), and spread fast due to confussion and communications breakage. Both civilians and disbanded garrisons collapsed the roads, impeding normal troop movements. I can gather some historical reference on places and dates, if you are interested.    :)

Best Regards,

Pepe

[ 07-03-2001: Message edited by: Pepe ]