Author Topic: One of the best speachs of modern president's....  (Read 2363 times)

Offline fd ski

• Silver Member
      • http://www.northotwing.com/wing/
One of the best speachs of modern president's....
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2001, 10:26:00 AM »
Well, purely from the vacabulary point, it was very plain, more then likely because audience shouldn't be distacted when he mispronounces few words  :)

I'm not sure who wrote a darn thing for him, but last i checked sentences like "and you know what ? " were not a part of a proper speaking, at least on this level.

I heard it on the radio, and then watched it. They shouldn't have televised. Stupid smirk on his face still makes him look like a kid who just broke something and thinks he's getting away with it. He's doing much better job trying to stop it now, but it still isn't all gone.

Overall, average speach. Plain, so called patriotic, some nice marching propaganda thrown in for good measure.

On a side note, it's quite amazing how many people here use the time of crisis for taking cheap shots at previous adminitration. And those are also the same people who call themselves partiots and rejoice on the renewed unity of this nation. Grow up folks.

Offline NATEDOG

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2001, 10:38:00 AM »
Gore would be saying, " let's all just get along....... they didn't really mean it."
Bush simply said, "hey, you pissed me off, now I'm gonna kick your ass!"

Great speach.

Offline zapkin

• Copper Member
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2001, 10:47:00 AM »
did anyone else notice the shot of Hillary rolling her eyes and looking disgusted??? LOL I wish like hell I had been taping the whole speech. I think she wore her true emotions at that instant...and in front of the world no less...LOL

Offline Greese

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.geocities.com/greese125
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2001, 10:50:00 AM »
fd ski, you need to grow up.  Bush is a human, not a robot.  If you want to pick on him because he's not a gifted speaker, then you need to be able to accept all the crap that's going to come flying at Clinton and how screwed up he left this country, morally, the condition of the military, the healthcare crisis, etc.  Clinton was a great speaker, Dubya isn't.  I bet you could get in front of the country and rally us behind you much better.  
You need to rethink things before you make a stupid post like that.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2001, 10:56:00 AM »
"use the time of crisis for taking cheap shots at previous adminitration."

...and then there's those that use the time of crisis for taking cheap shots and nit-picking the present administration.

Amazing, isn't it?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2001, 11:01:00 AM »
Greese, did you read the topic?  Does it invite disussion, or only "patriotic" agreement?
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline Greese

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.geocities.com/greese125
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2001, 11:35:00 AM »
Popeye, I did read the topic.  And I posted my part in the discussion.    :rolleyes:
If you want to know what I feel about the speech, I like it's content.  I agree that there has been a BIG line drawn in the sand.  It will be interesting to see what happens.  I cannot tell you what is going to happen, but I feel, after hearing this speech, that the US is not going to stop until they have the baddie this time.

Offline Udie

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2001, 01:00:00 PM »
Fdski,

I'm quickly losing all respect I had for you  :(

U

Offline fd ski

• Silver Member
      • http://www.northotwing.com/wing/
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2001, 01:10:00 PM »
Toad, i didn't think speach was particularly special, just average. That makes it nitpicking ?

I just think he should change the speach writer  :) As for the essence of what was said, i agree.

trust me, there would be way more if i wanted to nitpick  :)

I'll try to muster more flag waving enthusiasm next time  :D

Udie, i'm sorry for not having same opinions as you  :) Before my post there are at least 4 "straight in the face/cheap shots" at ex president, whom you might not like, but you should tolerate out of the respect for the office, just like i tolerate Bush, i might not love him, but in this time of crisis, i support him. Face it, Clinton was an ELECTED president. If you are so partiotic and feel so strongly about democracy, you should resepct the process and let it be  :D

Offline Nifty

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2001, 01:38:00 PM »
Everyone that majored in political science, minored it or just even took a course or two in it raise your hand.  

I for one know I'm not qualified to say what makes a good political speech vs. an average one.   :p
proud member of the 332nd Flying Mongrels, noses in the wind since 1997.

Offline NATEDOG

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2001, 01:51:00 PM »
Face it, Bush WON the election! I also think a few people are pissed right now cuz Clinton had the chance to get Bin Laden while he was president, but chose not to....He knew that getting Bin Laden would ruffle a few feathers in the middle east.  he wanted to keep the people thinking that he somehow kept the world in harmony, but he just left a mess for Bush to clean up. I never had a problem with Clinton while he was in office..... I just have a problem with the way he left it.

NOW BACK TO THE ORIGINAL TOPIC!

Good speach!   :D

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2001, 01:55:00 PM »
Yep
I'm not a political major but I thought it was a great speech, I felt it in my gut, which will go down in history as a course changer for America. I am glad Bush delivered it as well as he did but would be standing behind whoever the President happened to be if things/time were different. If the same thoughts/ideals were expressed by a President of the US last night with the last name Gore or Clinton, I would stand by and support their courage and the courage of our military as I do our current President Bush.
Now is not the time for division among ourselves, it is time for unity against the evil of terrorism. There are two enemies in America's new war, ourselves and the terrorists. Both of those battles will be easier to win if we all stick together.    
<S> all Americans and our Global Allies
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline NATEDOG

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2001, 01:58:00 PM »
AMEN

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2001, 02:09:00 PM »
It would have been a better speech had they not panned around, especially to Hillary Clinton.  The look on her face, the half made attempt to clp, the rolloing eyes,...well, it was very distracting (translated: I was getting really pissed off).

Overall,...hmmm,...(1-10)
The Speech: 8
The Delivery: 6.5

To me, he really did not say anything that had not been said since the tragedy, but he did put it into one speech, rather than the tidbits that have been thrown at us.
Words are one thing, now lets see what happens when it comes to the acting on those words.

Oh, anyone catch Comedy Central's Daily Show last night?  I was never a big fan of Mr. Steward(?), but I found a whole mess of respect for him as a person last night.

[ 09-21-2001: Message edited by: Skuzzy ]
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline 10Bears

• Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2001, 03:00:00 PM »
Wonderful speech... too bad some of you didn’t listen. He asked about a dozen times for unity between  Liberal and Conservative.

Well I see that lasted less than one day.  

Mighty1 wrote:Clinton would have said "I feel your pain" about a dozen times then give Bin-laden all of our military secrets while screwing a camel.

What President Clinton DID do is give the country 8 years of peace and prosperity. Lowest crime  and abortion rate in 30 years. Got rid of a real deal nazi in south central Europe without a single combat casualty.

from hottrod: There is a difference! With Gore and Clinton you have a WIMP and a PIMP, with Bush you have a Patriot, something this country hasn't had enough of in years

Oh lets ask Slobo.

Bart wrote: I'm not sure who wrote a darn thing for him, but last i checked sentences like "and you know what ? " were not a part of a proper speaking, at least on this level

First two were written by Karen Hughes... Last nights by Peggy Nonan.  All the “and you know whats” he throws in.

And then my friend Natedog wrote: Face it, Bush WON the election!

Um... with a lil help from the Supreme court. Let me try to understand their unsigned decision. It would violate Bush’s Constutional rights if there was a MANUAL recount because he might loose.. Then they said, oh... you can have the MANUAL recount.. but there ain’t no time left... They also said.. and get this.. not to use this case as a precedent for future cases.   Swell.

Counting un postmarked un signed overseas military ballots AFTER the election?... not a problem.

Gore would be saying, " let's all just get along....... they didn't really mean it."
Bush simply said, "hey, you pissed me off, now I'm gonna kick your ass!"
Great speach

Or he might have accepted the 3 year $25m Hart/Rudman study on terrorism rather than shoving it to the back burner for “further study”.  

The tax cut and 300$ advance were nice, but... I’d rather pay taxes on the 35k job I “HAD”.
10Bears