Author Topic: Assault Gliders  (Read 519 times)

Offline KD303

• Copper Member
Assault Gliders
« on: September 29, 2005, 11:15:14 AM »
It'd be good, IMHO, to have towable assault gliders as an alternative way of carrying troops. You could either have a team of two - one guy flying the tug and one the glider, or use a drone to fly the tug. Definitely an exciting way to arrive on the scene!
The Airspeed Horsa,for example, was used to carry, amongst others, men (and equipment) of Air Landing Brigades of the 1st and 6th Airborne Divisions and piloted by the British Army's Glider Pilot Regiment as well as RAF pilots. They were used for Sicily, Normandy and Arnhem and other invasions. Production figures aren't accurate but the grand total constructed is said to be 3799.

KD

Offline Lye-El

• Silver Member
Re: Assault Gliders
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2005, 12:07:27 PM »
Originally posted by KD303
It'd be good, IMHO, to have towable assault gliders as an alternative way of carrying troops. You could either have a team of two - one guy flying the tug and one the glider, or use a drone to fly the tug. Definitely an exciting way to arrive on the scene!

KD

You want a slower way to fly troops in!? And you would have to land it outside the city as opposed to kicking the drunks out and getting out of Dodge.

I guess it would give the guy that kills the tug two kills for the price of one. Kill the tug and get a proxie as the glider crashes into the ocean.

i dont got enough perkies as it is and i like upen my lancs to kill 1 dang t 34 or wirble its fun droping 42 bombs

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Assault Gliders
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2005, 12:56:29 PM »
There was a time when we had gliders in AH. This was before the formations for bombers, so it was noticable. Not sure what happened to them, but there WERE some at one time.

Offline KD303

• Copper Member
Re: Re: Assault Gliders
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2005, 05:27:08 AM »
Originally posted by Lye-El
You want a slower way to fly troops in!? And you would have to land it outside the city as opposed to kicking the drunks out and getting out of Dodge.

I guess it would give the guy that kills the tug two kills for the price of one. Kill the tug and get a proxie as the glider crashes into the ocean.

LOL! I suppose maybe it's going a bit too far for the sake of authenticity, now you mention it.