Author Topic: Urban legend or not?  (Read 1561 times)

Offline capt. apathy

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.moviewavs.com/cgi-bin/moviewavs.cgi?Bandits=danger.wav
Urban legend or not?
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2001, 12:50:00 PM »
i have to agree with dinger on this. you can't let someones race or nationality effect how you treat them. i would probly give them a second look, and pay atention if they do anything odd but to outright refuse to fly with them seems way out of line.
if my father can still be polite to japanese he meets after spending ww2 in a prison camp we can figure out how to work through this.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Urban legend or not?
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2001, 12:53:00 PM »
Buzz, there's lots of things being talked about... that probably shouldn't be talked about.

Let's try to keep them guessing a while, OK?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Urban legend or not?
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2001, 01:23:00 PM »
So they not only got kicked off a Northwest Airlines flight, but were then put on a Delta flight?

Geezus, Delta is the equivelant of the DC Metro rail while Northwest is like a commuter train fully equipped with dining car and everything.

I also think this is horseshit, if they went through security checks already and were proven to simply be going home... then what is the big diddlyin' deal?

I'm not surprised it happened in Minneapolis either, I absolutely despise stop over flights there- what a toejamty neck of the woods.
-SW

Offline newguy2

• Zinc Member
Urban legend or not?
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2001, 01:36:00 PM »
Capt,

My father was a B-29 tailgunner. He hated the Japanese untill he died. Should also add that my neighbor down the street was in the Bataan death march and is still not overly happy with the Japanese.

On the other hand my flight instructor father was a medic in the 4th inf. Landed at Utah beach and was involved in hand to hand combat during the war. During a trip back to France in 64, He took his family to a German burial site. Never said why. Always talks well about the German people.

[ 09-21-2001: Message edited by: newguy2 ]

Offline newguy2

• Zinc Member
Urban legend or not?
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2001, 01:37:00 PM »
Grrrr

[ 09-21-2001: Message edited by: newguy2 ]

Offline capt. apathy

• Platinum Member
Urban legend or not?
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2001, 03:42:00 PM »
newguy2,
 Perhaps I was unclear, my father is POLITE to Japanese that he meets, I never said he likes them. After being captured on Wake Island and the years of imprisonment and torture that followed he still has some definite opinions on the nation as a whole. However in all my life I never saw him let those feelings effect how he treated an individual.
My best friend in highschool was Japanese/American, my father never discouraged this friendship, was never rude to my friend when he stayed over at our house, and during the time we where friends my father kept his opinions of the Japanese people to himself. I don’t think he even mentioned the war while i was around for those 5-6 years.
And this is exactly what I’m talking about.
we can think anything we want about Muslims, Aphgans, people of dark skin, people of yellow skin, whatever, it's our right to think anything we want about anybody we want. We are free to hate, find amusing, or look down on anybody we please, but when we start to let that effect how we treat others...
  well, I guess it says more about us than them.

[ 09-21-2001: Message edited by: capt. apathy ]

Offline Buzzbait

• Silver Member
Urban legend or not?
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2001, 09:46:00 PM »
S!

There were close to 100 Muslims killed in the WTC.  There is a lot of Arab and Indonesian money in New York so they have their people working there.

Toad if you really think these terrorists don't know about the pilot's options, you are dreaming.  That was the reason the first thing the hijackers did on the doomed flights was slit the throats of several passengers in order to terrorize the pilots.

The difference now, is that the pilots will grit their teeth and refuse to give in.

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
Urban legend or not?
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2001, 10:57:00 PM »
Hey apathy, you know by any chance in what element your dad served while in Wake? I have a rather detailed description of Wake's defense, would be interesting to know.

Give ur dad a big <S> and thanks from me will ya?

Offline capt. apathy

• Platinum Member
Urban legend or not?
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2001, 11:15:00 PM »
he was a usmc machine gunner.
other than documents and citations. most of the info i have is peiced together from small indevidual conversations. this is not a subject where he was ever comfortable to sit down and lay out the situation. i just listen to what he feels like talking about for as long as he feels like talking.

he did show me where his mg was during the final wave of invasion. i was playing ms combat flight sim and was flying over Wake, he walked in and pointed to the screen and said "my mg was right here" then he left the room, end of conversation.

Offline newguy2

• Zinc Member
Urban legend or not?
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2001, 11:45:00 PM »
Perhaps I was unclear, my father is POLITE to Japanese that he meets, I never said he likes them. After being captured on Wake Island and the years of imprisonment and torture that followed he still has some definite opinions on the nation as a whole.

Capt,

Please tell him for me that I'm damn proud
of what he did for his country.

I never saw my father interact with any Japanese. How he would have acted towards them in public, I have no idea.

I can't argue against treating each other with dignity and respect. That would be foolish. In a perfect world the topic would never have come to light.

Everyone's opinions, their likes and dislikes, their fears, are based on what they have experienced or witnessed during life.
For many, these feeling run deep and can't be toggled on and off like a light switch.

My father-in-law was a member of the First Air Cav in nam. Two tours 69-71. He's 50 I'm 48. Ever have a father-in-law that only two years older than you? His wife is 59. Much fun. He refights that war in his dreams a half dozen times a month. If awaken by thunder, he's right back in the bush, at a hot LZ.

He can become very agitated around people of oriental ancestry and has been less that polite on a few occasions.

The point I'm trying to make is its best to walk around in someone shoes before deciding how they should act in any given situation.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Urban legend or not?
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2001, 12:01:00 AM »
Thanks for your support, Buzz.

It doesn't suprise me, considering you work in the mass media.

[ 09-22-2001: Message edited by: Toad ]
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline capt. apathy

• Platinum Member
Urban legend or not?
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2001, 12:34:00 AM »
newguy2,
agreed

Offline indian

• Copper Member
Urban legend or not?
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2001, 01:00:00 AM »
Just because they dont have weapons on them when the go thru security does not mean the planes has not been set up in advance. We pull drugs off our planes in maintenance all the time, and just this week a box knife was found taped to bottom of seat. They have help. I for one am not a racist but with sickos like that out there dont trust none of them be safe first.

For those of you who fly that seat cusion that makes an excellent floataion device will also block any knife they might get on the plane.

Safety first dont let anyone screw up the only mandatory part of flying. (the landing)

Offline capt. apathy

• Platinum Member
Urban legend or not?
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2001, 01:06:00 AM »
indian,
that ocured to me also. you'd think a seat cushon as a sheild and a soda can in a sock would take down just about anybody with a knife