Author Topic: Displaying the flag vertically  (Read 1160 times)

Offline Mickey1992

• Gold Member
Displaying the flag vertically
« on: September 21, 2001, 10:11:00 AM »
I have read a couple of different sources that state that the flag, when displayed vertically, should have the field of blue on the left.  This has always looked backwards to me.  Does anyone know why it is displayed this way?

[ 09-21-2001: Message edited by: Mickey1992 ]

Offline NATEDOG

• Silver Member
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2001, 10:21:00 AM »
I don't know who made the rule, or who started hanging it like that, but that IS backwards.

Offline Udie

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2001, 10:24:00 AM »
I think that the blue is always supposed to be in the upper left corner. It does look a little backwards, but I'm sure there is some good symbolism to that rule...

U

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2001, 10:28:00 AM »
http://www.state.wi.us/agencies/dva/museum/flaguse.html

Guidelines for display of the U.S. flag

When a flag is displayed other than on a staff, it should be flat or suspended so that it falls free. When displayed against a wall or object, the union should be at the top and to the flag’s own right (the observer’s left) whether displayed horizontally or vertically.

Note: The blue field with 50 stars is called the union.]
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.raf303.org/
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2001, 10:46:00 AM »
And remember it needs to be lit at night.  Otherwise take it down.

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2001, 11:29:00 AM »
Originally posted by funkedup:
And remember it needs to be lit at night.  Otherwise take it down.

this is very true.

for the entire set of protocal relating to Old Glory, refer to this link http://afpubs.hq.af.mil/pubs/publist.asp?puborg=AF&series=36  then DL afpam 36-2241, then on page 127. everyhting you want to know about the history and the display of our Flag.

edit, i didnt realize how big this regulation is, 36 meg...maybe I will just spell out the fine points.

24 hour display is outlined in title 36 US code, section 174A. permits the dipaly of the Flag for 24 hours a day if properly illuminated.

horizontally displayed-- Always display the Flag with the union to the observers left.

Hanging across a street-- supend it vertically. If street runs primarily East-west the union will be at the top and to the north. If the street runs north-south display the union at the top and to the east.

when displayed with flags of other nations-- Display flags on seperate staffs of equal height. American flag is to its own right..or observeers left.

Much more on this subject. Perhaps the link that toad posted has it all. My regulation has 8 pages on the subject with images.

[ 09-21-2001: Message edited by: -ammo- ]
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2001, 12:00:00 PM »
Here's another great link: http://www.ushistory.org/betsy/flagetiq.html#01

Too bad it takes a national tragedy for the flag wavers to come out...I personally have flown one 364 1/4 days a year, 24 hours a day (lite at night) for 20 some years now...

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2001, 12:07:00 PM »

[ 09-21-2001: Message edited by: Eagler ]
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2001, 12:33:00 PM »
That explains why my neighbor has a spotlight shining on his roof at night these days... There's a flag on the mast, and I never gave it a second thought- other than it looks kind of spooky since trees surround it and you get some odd lighting, especially if it's windy which is quite normal since I live on the Chesapeake bay.

Interesting stuff, I didn't know there were actual regulations to flying the flag.
-SW

Offline Dune

• Silver Member
      • http://www.352ndfightergroup.com/
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2001, 12:55:00 PM »
You have to remember Wulfie, this is the Army and the Government.  There's regulations for everything  

:D

Offline skernsk

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2001, 04:28:00 PM »
Heh...reminds me of the World Series where the "Marines" had the Canuck flag upsidedown....

I fly the Canuck flag at all times....I will be flying the Stars and Stripes by Saturday @ noon...if I'm not too friggin lazy to puet her up.

BTW....do I have to follow all the damn rules or is that just for 'Merican citizens?

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2001, 04:52:00 PM »
Originally posted by skernsk:
Heh...reminds me of the World Series where the "Marines" had the Canuck flag upsidedown....

I fly the Canuck flag at all times....I will be flying the Stars and Stripes by Saturday @ noon...if I'm not too friggin lazy to puet her up.

BTW....do I have to follow all the damn rules or is that just for 'Merican citizens?

nobody cares whether you follow the rules skernsk ;)

Offline skernsk

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2001, 10:40:00 AM »
nobody cares whether you follow the rules skernsk

Heh...I'll put it up but I won't bother with the spot light.

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2001, 02:07:00 PM »
Originally posted by skernsk:
nobody cares whether you follow the rules skernsk

Heh...I'll put it up but I won't bother with the spot light.

You go boy!

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2001, 11:57:00 PM »
LOL  :)