Author Topic: Using the E key to cut power....  (Read 2045 times)

Offline frank3

• Plutonium Member
Using the E key to cut power....
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2005, 01:36:27 PM »
Originally posted by Krusty
but if you reduce RPMs too low your boost goes down.

Except for turbo-charged (or supercharged?) planes like the P-47 --> reduce rpm, MP stays the same

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2005, 01:42:12 PM »
You have a certain "grace period" in which you can fiddle with the RPM or the MAP and you won't affect the other. However the two are locked in a balancing act. Every plane has its own tolerance. Example: 190a5 has a small one, you reduce RPMs and the MAP moves in short order, but on the Ki67 you can reduce RPM and not affect the MAP for a while (hypothetical example).

Offline frank3

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2005, 01:46:17 PM »
I do think it would take long for someone to learn how to effectively use throttle and rpm control seperately, one must first know what they mean, and what they do (which a great deal of players does not)

I like Kevy's idea though;

A check box for

"Engine Managment Controls"

Much like auto takeoff, or combat trim.

an A/C using auto engine managment would suffer a 5% penalty in performance. Newbs can still fly and kill but those who take the time to learn the controls would have the advantage. Much like the stall limiter. I would love to see more engine controls added to the game.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2005, 01:51:16 PM »
I don't like that idea because we already have it. As you throttle up your RPM increase. Throttle back RPM decrease. Hit WEP? Instant 1-key option for over-boosting your engine, which is not just a simple "press me to speed up" button in reality.

We already HAVE newbie-safe controls, which is why there are so many newbies in AH. They dont' HAVE to learn RPM controls and such.

Offline frank3

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2005, 01:58:29 PM »
We have that, but no 5% performance penalty

However, why spend more time in mastering the of independantly used rpm & throttle for only 5%?

If it IS considered, it should be a little more, making it worth the 'trouble'

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2005, 02:15:35 PM »
There's nothing to master. You press a key. You press another key. RPM goes up. RPM goes down. Heck the E6B even tells you what to set it at. There's nothing to master, and even if you don't reduce RPM just simply throttling back saves you a lot of gas.

No reason to add a feature that's not necessary. It's not like manually adjusting RPMs helps you anyways (it helps in a few odd circumstances and then it only helps a little). By saying "newbies" with "automatic RPM control" (which we already have) lose 5% performance is like saying "You're too dumb to have WEP, sorry you can't use it".

Don't forget we're not role playing here. We're simming. Each one of the "pilots" has already passed flight training and is a competent pilot. That's a baseline so that whatever combat takes place is on a fair basis. By hindering pilots in their abilities you make combat unfair.

Besides, even the newest newbies in spitVs and N1K2s are getting kills. If that fails they just up a dora or an la7.

Offline frank3

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2005, 02:23:48 PM »
Hmm, well HTC would never add something like this anyway, it scares off too many people IMO

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2005, 02:26:39 PM »
Just look at all the problems IL2 ran into with it :P

Offline frank3

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2005, 02:27:42 PM »
........................>cricket noise<...........................

:D

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.slowcat.de
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2005, 03:06:05 PM »
Originally posted by Krusty
Try it again :P

There *IS* a connection between RPM and throttle. At any given throttle setting you can tweak RPMs, but if you reduce RPMs too low your boost goes down. If you leave RPMs alone and throttle back, your RPMs go down. If you throttle back to nothing your RPM reduce to almost nothing.

Yep, one way. If you reduce rmp considerably, mainfold pressure cant be maintained, ie is lowered. But if you reduce throttle, rpms stay the same.
21 is only half the truth.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2005, 03:53:39 PM »
Originally posted by Schatzi
Yep, one way. If you reduce rmp considerably, mainfold pressure cant be maintained, ie is lowered. But if you reduce throttle, rpms stay the same.

In what plane? I know of no aircraft in the game right now that has the same RPM at no throttle as it does at full throttle.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2005, 04:43:15 PM »
Krusty: The Rpm and throttle are in no way linked in AH.

Your prop will stay the same RPM if you do not move the RPM lever. This is true until 1 of 2 conditions happen.

1. Underspeed. Basicly the prop is up against the flat pitch stops and can no longer decrease pitch to maintain rpm.

2. Over speed , the prop is Now up against the max pitch stops, and going faster will increase its RPM.

Changing RPM will effect mainifold pressure.

The engine drives a comprossor (i.e. Super Charger) if the engine slows down do to change in RPM, the max pressure this compresor can put out is lowered, hence even thow you can be full throttle you manifold pressure will drop.

These little details are modled in AH. Infact if you put them against the charts you will find they follow the charts for MP. Couldn't find min and max prop angles on all planes, so we estimate those.

As for the WEP button, it is equivlant of taking your left hand and pushing all 3 leveres full forward.

HiTech

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2005, 10:05:38 PM »
Originally posted by hitech
1. Underspeed. Basicly the prop is up against the flat pitch stops and can no longer decrease pitch to maintain rpm.

2. Over speed , the prop is Now up against the max pitch stops, and going faster will increase its RPM.

That must be what I'm seeing.

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2005, 11:05:56 PM »
Note also that every single-engine fighter can use the E key to instantly turn power on and off. All twin-engine fighters (P-38s, Bf 110s and Mosquito) all must go through the normal start sequence if they shut down engines.

Since we have the new P-51s, P-47s, P-38s, 190s and Ki-84 and this gamey option still exists for all but the P-38s...I must assume that it will still be present with the new Spitfires and 109s.

Since this is somewhat confusing, perhaps someone can provide an explanation why:

1) It exists in the first place.
2) Why multi-engine fighters are different.

In my opinion, based upon well over 2,000 hours as Flight Engineer and Crew Chief on radial powered military aircraft (R-2800 and R-1830) is that no aircraft should be able to cut power and instantly restart without performing normal restart (as on the ground, or an air start procedure).

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.