Author Topic: Fat City and the Object Editor (or One Building Does Not a City Make)  (Read 544 times)

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
Some helpful info for users of the Object Editor. As I learn more I'll add to this. Corrections and additions welcome.

1. What is the maximum number of objects we can place on a tile or factory? (htc please note if they are different)
    More then 1024. At least, more then 1150 for H2H and offline maps.

2. Does placement order of objects affect anything or are all objects drawn regardless?
    Even unseen objects will be drawn in the order of placement but don't worry about placement order until you're done. You can reorder the objects by sorting the text file so larger objects are drawn last, in front.

3. When hitech said "External Referances VS internal (i.e. need to be sliced) objects". Is this something we need to fix (and how since Check Slice only works up to a point?) or is it information htc uses when they build the map and we don't need to worry about it?
    When the rectangular footprint of an object crosses one or more of the slice lines, (check "Is terrain tile" in Properties to see them) it is split into two or more pieces and this is reported in the Int #### part of the Ext ### Int ### dialog box.

4. When using Build in the Object Editor, what is Ext ###?
    Objects whose footprint rectangle doesn't cross on of the "slice" lines.  These are more efficient.

5. In the Object Editor, using Build, what is Int ###?
    The number of object parts created when your objects are sliced by the "slice" lines.

6. My base texture or streets are being drawn on top of the buildings!
    No worry. Make a copy of your *.til file and use "Open with" Notepad to open and sort the lines of text.  If your file becomes too large or you want to fine tune the draw order, you can use Excel for more sophisticated sorting.  Be careful not to change any of the text lines.

7. What determines showing the final strat object and type on the clipboard in-game.
    Apparently 2 buildings are required for any strat to show, and be sure to override the object type.  In the TE, be sure to place your strat object group at least 5 miles from any strat belonging to other zones.

8. When using default fields and strat in the TE everything works but my custom fields have trees and hills poking up through them.
    To make the it work correctly, you must do the following:
    a. Check "Is square tile object"
    b. Check "Display terrain under tile"
    c. Uncheck "Is terrain tile"
    d. Make sure you have at least two objects on top your tile in different slices.  If it still doesn't work, add more objects in different slices.
Note: No base texture is needed.  All the ground clutter will disappear and the underling texture will show through.

9. What is the maximum total number of bombable objects?
    Hitech said 50,000.

Keywords for search:
FAQ
tutorial
manual
ahobedit
Airfield
City
Town
zorder or z-order
« Last Edit: October 12, 2005, 12:26:44 PM by Easyscor »
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline BlauK

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.virtualpilots.fi/LLv34/
Fat City and the Object Editor (or One Building Does Not a City Make)
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2005, 02:51:26 PM »
About no 3.
Is it not so that one has to worry about those slice line ONLY if one is building a terrain tile. So if the terrain tile option is unchecked, there is no need to worry about object placement.

There seems to be some confusion in no 6. ... or I just dont get the point :)

No 8.
Does this mean that checking "Is square tile object" should remove all the clutter from that mile by mile square even without a base object and texture like lafld0g?

BlauKreuz - Lentolaivue 34      

Offline Dux

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2005, 02:59:29 PM »
Thanks for writing these out, Easy. :)
Rogue Squadron, CO
5th AF, FSO Squadron, Member

We all have a blind date with Destiny... and it looks like she's ordered the lobster.

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2005, 03:51:22 PM »
About no 3.
Is it not so that one has to worry about those slice line ONLY if one is building a terrain tile. So if the terrain tile option is unchecked, there is no need to worry about object placement.

That could be true. Only htc can answer for sure.

There seems to be some confusion in no 6. ... or I just dont get the point

Say you place a building like city4 and then place a road part like rs400, rs400 will be drawn in front of city4 and will look bad.  To fix this, it's far easier to edit the text file, *.til directly because you can quickly see the draw order.  Open the file and you'll see.  Put all the rs### roads first, then the smaller buildings, then the larger buildings.

No 8.
Does this mean that checking "Is square tile object" should remove all the clutter from that mile by mile square even without a base object and texture like lafld0g?

Takes both but yes, pretty kool eh :)

btw, One of you terrain tile guys need to build and share a mask for the roads, rivers and rail track so when you place trees and greenery they don't end up in the middle of the roads.  I know we have Road0 but either it's not being used or it doesn't work. Just saying. We've got some beautiful terrains but the greenery poking up through the roads really detracts IMO.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Raptor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2005, 11:15:39 PM »
Any Chance of seeing a picture of Fat City?

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2005, 04:17:22 AM »
Originally posted by Raptor01
Any Chance of seeing a picture of Fat City?
You have email coming but you'll have to build it because I have no web space here at the moment.

I found I had to use MS Word to do the sorting on the lines because Excel didn't like the *.til file.  Lots of work still to be done on it.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline BlauK

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.virtualpilots.fi/LLv34/
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2005, 05:05:53 AM »
You can try renaming the .til as .txt or just copy/paste to excel.

BlauKreuz - Lentolaivue 34      

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2005, 09:04:20 AM »
Doh! you're right.

My excuse will be that it was late and I was tired.

I couldn't use Open without Excel trying to separate the fields into cells, which would ruin the file, or at least cause a great deal more work.

Paste special works, dumping each untouched text line into it's own single cell. doh!

Once the *.til file is in a column of cell, sorting is a snap.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2005, 02:50:25 PM »
One additional note -

When using Excel or a text editor on the .til files be sure to delete the extra carrage return they add at the end.  It crashes the OE.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001