Author Topic: Take the "Global Warming Test" if you think you are educated  (Read 1132 times)

Offline Yoj

• Copper Member
Take the "Global Warming Test" if you think you are educated
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2001, 11:12:00 AM »
8 of 10.  Problematic test though.  Among other things, it states theories as facts. For example, it presents the idea of regular cycles of warming and cooling based on astronomical regularities.  The generally accepted theory is that these are not natural "cycles" but are the damping of oscillations left from the "nuclear winter" effect of the KT impact.  (That's the one 65 million years back near the Yucatan that smacked down the dinosaurs).  The "Little Ice Age" was the last dip and any such move towards cooler temperatures should be so small as to not be noticeable.  Meaning there is, in fact, no future cooling effect to be expected that might counter a warming trend.

Aside from the obvious bias in the "test", it really begs the point of whether there is danger of human activity triggering a runaway greenhouse effect.  It simply makes some points about scientific facts and then assumes common sense will bring you to a specific conclusion (at least, that's what I think the creator of the test expects).  The problem with "common sense" is that it is seldom common and often does not make sense.

- Yoj

Offline ispar

• Nickel Member
      • http://None :-)
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2001, 11:35:00 AM »
Didn't count... but I think I got a 6/10.

And I agree with Karnak, StSanta, and Yoj. That "test" definitely had an agenda.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2001, 09:19:00 AM »
Sure, the test had an agenda, like the national evening news across America does, difference being, this one had all the links to scientific information, whereas the eveniing news just gives you 'their' opinion, and in most cases, only give you half the story.  :)

Offline Yoj

• Copper Member
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2001, 11:43:00 AM »
I don't disagree Rip - anyone who gets his facts from TV gets what he deserves anyway.  However, the "test" also didn't give all the information.  In fact it gave very little.

- Yoj