Author Topic: I may get laid off on Monday, July 9th.  (Read 1564 times)

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
I may get laid off on Monday, July 9th.
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2001, 11:10:00 AM »
Originally posted by Karnak:
I am also not following the stereotype of a Liberal in looking for assistance or handouts (that is the stereotype you Conservatives buy into, right?), rather I am taking full responsibility for myself and trusting in my abilities and skills to see me through.   :p

You are absolutely right about the parties and the economies. Either one, they're the first to take credit and the last to take blame. The truth is probably that they control the economy the way a remora controls a shark.

As for that last bit... it just means your'e not truly a Liberal.   ;)

A joke son, I say that's a Joke there! as Foghorn Leghorn used to say on TV cartoons.

Good Luck to you sir!
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Wanker

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2001, 11:17:00 AM »
What company would that be banana? I'm getting my master's in Software Engineering in a month and might be looking for a job change...

Well, it's big and it's blue, and it's a three-letter acronym.  :)

IBM is a great company to work for, actually. Sure, there's a lot of the typical corporate BS to put up with, but they believe in the balance between work and family. Suits my philosophy fine.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2001, 03:33:00 PM »
Well, I just got a raise to 65k.

Now I get to see if I still have a job on Monday.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2001, 09:26:00 AM »
Karnak, since age 18 I've been thru a lay-off (9 months unemployed) 2 union strikes (costing me 114 days of pay), 3 "warn" notices (60 day notice of intention to lay off) and believe me, for EVERY dark cloud, a silver lining awaits beneath it.  In 41 years of life, I've always discovered a silver lining in dark clouds.  Keep your attitude, and your faith, don't let it go sour, it only adds to your predictament in bad ways.  By being positive, positive things happen!

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2001, 09:32:00 AM »
I might add, that the only way I've survived in the technical field in the last 20 years is by not shoe-boxing myself into knowing just one 'thing'....I've always taken advantage of off-hour training, for various classes, and moved around on my own will to various jobs within the company I work for, allowing flexibility when the lay off notices come.

I'm proud to say, that I know alot about NOTHING, but I know alittle about EVERYTHING, that's the key to survival in the technical world we live in today.

Background since age 18:
~Construction (Roofer)
~Painter
~Mechanical Shaper operator
~Bartender
~Restaurant Manager
~Tool Maker
~NC Programmer
~Numerical Control Machinist
~Tool Designer
~Engineering Applications Analyst

That's 10 different careers in 22 years.  Flexibility allows income to continue to flow from many different avenues when push comes to shove.

[ 07-06-2001: Message edited by: Ripsnort ]

Offline Wanker

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2001, 10:15:00 AM »
I'm proud to say, that I know alot about NOTHING, but I know alittle about EVERYTHING, that's the key to survival in the technical world we live in today.

I would only add to this the ability to learn quickly and the ability to sell yourself to potential employers.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2001, 10:46:00 AM »
Originally posted by banana:

I would only add to this the ability to learn quickly and the ability to sell yourself to potential employers.

Agreed, and actually the first part about learning quickly is part of my resume! I keep it up to date, and revise it yearly, for that 'just in case' scenario...

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2001, 01:43:00 PM »
wishing you well Karnak

good luck Monday
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2001, 09:43:00 PM »
Thanks Ripsnort, Eagler.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
      • http://sbm.boomzoom.org/
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2001, 10:04:00 PM »
Ripsnort please tell me you don't still have that blurb on yer resume that goes "the ability to learn quickly, works well with others...etc." Those are only on people's resume for high school summer jobs when they have nothing else to put on it   :)

Oh and best of luck Karnak!

[ 07-06-2001: Message edited by: Nash ]

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2001, 05:00:00 PM »
Welp,....., I got the middle, and worst, of the "two" options.

I was not laid off today, July 9, however I am now assigned to support a product that we are trying to divest ourselves of.  Once we have either divested the product, or buried it I will then be laid off.  This will all happen in the next 60 days.

This was a new, unexpected and unpleasant surprise sprung this morning.  I had steeled myself to either continue at my company or get a new job, but not to be placed in Limbo.

Furthermore, if the east coast company buying the product offers me, here on the west coast, a job I will have to decline it and indications are that my current company would not have to pay severance as was paid to those laid off today.

What's more, the severance is just wrong for me.  The way it was done is to offer two weeks plus one week for each year that the employee was at the company, with a minimum severance of four weeks.  I have worked here for two years.  Two plus two equals four.  Thus, I have worked here the exact amount of time to get the least return on my severance pay.

Lastly the severance is paid out as continuation salary, which means that I will not be able to apply for unemployment benefits (hey, I've been paying into it for years) until the four weeks of severance pay has passed.

[ 07-09-2001: Message edited by: Karnak ]
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Udie

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2001, 05:16:00 PM »
That just plain sux Karnak, sorry to hear the bad news.  Go to Monster.com, I found my current job there in 1 day.  Well actualy it took 2 days, 1 to find it and the next day to drive to Austin to the interview/hire.  

Also, consider a move to Tx  :) Our economy is pretty diverse and seems to be trucking along rather well.  Houston seems to be stronger than Austin right now, but even with all the hi-tech layoffs this year, Austin is still plugging away. And there's no state income tax  :)

Best wishes though my old leftist  :rolleyes: pal.  I hope things go well for you in the near future with the job hunt.  I'd hire you, if I had a company that needed somebody  :)

Udie

Offline sling322

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2001, 05:27:00 PM »
Damn Karnak...that sucks.  I am kinda in a similar boat.  The company I work for is a contract warehousing outfit and the company we support is giving all of their logistics services to another company...confused yet?

The warehousing and inventory management is among the first part being transitioned to the new company.  Anyway, with our contract going away people in my sector are beginning to transfer out to positions within our company that support other facets of the overall operation rather than just warehousing.  This is leaving us short-handed in the warehousing side and also leaving us a difficult choice.  Do we:  A - transfer out to another position that may be around longer or B - leave now and find another place of employment.  Another factor in this decision is that we are eligible for a bonus if we stick around and help make the transition as smooth as possible.  

So at what point do I decide that the bonus is worth the risk of sticking it out when the possibility of all the other jobs being filled in the other departments means that I will be forced to seek employment elsewhere?  The good thing in my case is that the unemployment will kick in the day our contract expires if I havent been hired on with the company taking over our jobs.  And I dont have to worry about moving to another coast.

Good luck to you sir....I hope it all works out for you.

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2001, 05:37:00 PM »
Good luck Karnak.
I think that Ripsnort has the right of it...
Since I was 18 I have been a soldier, A car shuffler, a PC salesman, a tech support guy and more kinds of programmer than you can shake a stick at.
Keep your eye on the ball. This will work out for you.

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.fatchicksinpartyhats.com
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2001, 06:08:00 PM »
The Bay Area is crashing, and that's exactly why I bailed out 6 months ago. It' just begun, and it's going to get alot worse.

You can always move 3 hours East to Reno and become a professional gambler or even cooler, a Elvis impersonator. I can't vouch for the $13/hr, but at least you'd have snappy work attire.   :D