Author Topic: Earthquake in Pakistan/India  (Read 282 times)

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
Earthquake in Pakistan/India
« on: October 10, 2005, 12:17:47 PM »
Looks like the death toll is climbing past the 20,000 figure.  This is terrible stuff, I hope these guys get the aid they need fast.  I just contributed to the Red Crescent, and urge the rest of you to find a charity that will help and assist too.
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Offline Mickey1992

• Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2005, 12:25:46 PM »
"The death toll now stands at 30,800 in the aftermath of a massive earthquake in Pakistan, as nations around the world try to get aid to the northern parts of the devastated country and to Kashmir." - CNN

Horrible, horrible, horrible.  :(

Fortunately we have some assets in Afghanistan to help out.

Offline boxboy28

• Gold Member
      • http://none
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2005, 12:27:53 PM »
you know i was thinking, to bad Osama wasnt on that side of the country in a shaking cave when this all hit.

But it all very very sad,  i cant believe that many people lost there lives to the quake.  I havent seen too much news on it but when did it hit? middle of the night?
^"^Nazgul^"^    fly with the undead!
Jaxxo got nice tata's  and Lyric is Andre the giant with blond hair!

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2005, 12:30:42 PM »
Yes, terrible stuff.  However, Im going to let my taxes represent my donation on this one.  Im about donated out.....need to keep the spare change close at hand in case God shakes up my region....I live on a fault line you know.  Shook real fierce here a few years ago (6.9) but thanks to stringent building codes, I survived.

God be with those that suffer.
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2005, 12:32:05 PM »
Sad day; tough year.  

I’m afraid that it will go way beyond 20,000, and then the indirect impact will take its toll (disease, hypothermia, etc).  I think that I heard that there are 2.5 million who are now homeless.  That’s not good with winter coming.  This is bad timing since Indonesia and Louisiana have hit the US and much of the world pretty hard for charitable contributions.  Perhaps some wealthy Islamic nations held back and will step up now that fellow Muslims are in need.  I’ll be curious as to how the US national and private contributions stack up, as well as the rest of the world.  

eskimo

Offline majic

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2005, 06:24:42 PM »
Originally posted by eskimo2
Sad day; tough year.  

I�ll be curious as to how the US national and private contributions stack up, as well as the rest of the world.  

eskimo

That's an interesting question.  What with all the donations given out already this year for other disasters, what's left to give in the coffers?

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2005, 09:36:33 PM »
Originally posted by boxboy28
But it all very very sad,  i cant believe that many people lost there lives to the quake.  I havent seen too much news on it but when did it hit? middle of the night?

In China in IIRC the 1980's there was an eathquake that killed a quarter million or more.  I think the earthquake in Iran a few years ago killed thousands.

Earthquakes are among the biggest killers, but Katrina also killed 10,000 before we knew the real number level.  It would not surprise me if it were a horrendously large number, but numbers at this stage of the news coverage are largely meaningless.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2005, 09:38:56 PM by Holden McGroin »
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2005, 01:31:17 AM »
Originally posted by boxboy28

Just before 9am Sat morning their time.

The problem is more to do with poverty + corruption + lack of building codes. Buildings simply have no re-inforcing, so a medium sized quake would have done just as much damage.

It may sound callous, but these people built poorly constructed multi-story buildings in an earthquake prone zone. The current generation will remember it, but in a hundred years there'll be the same rinse and repeat. Its like New Orleans, but instead of a hurricane its an earthquake, and instead of building below sea level in a flood zone its poorly built dwellings.

On the one hand I think nature tries to teach us lessons, on the other hand images of a collapsed/buried school with 700 kids under it really gets to me (especially watching this news with mini-me on my lap).

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2005, 01:59:41 AM »
Over there constructing is directly related to economical situation.
They can't afford to have strict regulations with all their poor people, otherwise they could as well live outside.

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2005, 02:22:38 AM »
Originally posted by Fishu
Over there constructing is directly related to economical situation.
They can't afford to have strict regulations with all their poor people, otherwise they could as well live outside.

Yes but they don't need to go multistory.

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2005, 03:40:02 AM »
Originally posted by Vulcan
Yes but they don't need to go multistory.

Why not, it is an efficient way to make homes for several people while using minimal area for it. Costs even less.

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2005, 12:36:24 PM »
Originally posted by Fishu
Why not, it is an efficient way to make homes for several people while using minimal area for it. Costs even less.

Scroll up for why.