Author Topic: easymo, kindly read (not a flame)  (Read 2127 times)

Offline ispar

• Nickel Member
      • http://None :-)
easymo, kindly read (not a flame)
« on: September 23, 2001, 04:50:00 PM »
I would have preferred to send you a personal message, but you don't seem to permit that.

You have consistently and baselessly (yes, baselessly) attacked my character on this board. You insist that my opposition to conflict and my personal refusal to participate in it is because of cowardice and a lack of compassion for my fellow man. Rather than laugh in your face at the ludicrosity of that conviction, I thought I'd give you an idea of where I come from and the base for my ideals.

Kindly read this for a basic idea:
 http://www.religioustolerance.org/quaker.htm

For more specific and organization/historical stuff, look at this (this you can skip if you want to):
 www.quaker.org

Finally, please look at this:
 www.afsc.org

I'm going to ask you to apologize for your remarks. If you won't do so, at the very least acknowledge that you can have no true perception of "what kind of person I am" from my posts on this board.

With respect,
Ispar

[ 09-23-2001: Message edited by: ispar ]

Offline ispar

• Nickel Member
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2001, 04:51:00 PM »
Dammit...

[ 09-23-2001: Message edited by: ispar ]

Offline easymo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2001, 05:48:00 PM »
If you are a quaker. All you had to do was say so.

Offline ispar

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2001, 05:54:00 PM »
Originally posted by easymo:
If you are a quaker. All you had to do was say so.

Yes, I suppose you are correct. But to just say it isn't an argument, it's just an excuse for having a certain point of view. I would far rather present my views in an articulate fashion and for their own sake rather than prop them up with the religious background point. Make sense?

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2001, 06:23:00 PM »
So, Ispar.. you're saying you're a practicing Quaker?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline ispar

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2001, 06:27:00 PM »
Originally posted by Toad:
So, Ispar.. you're saying you're a practicing Quaker?

Yes I am.

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2001, 06:28:00 PM »
LOL!

Offline Gadfly

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2001, 06:30:00 PM »
Never heard a quaker call himself a Quaker.

Offline easymo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2001, 06:31:00 PM »
On a faceless Internet, all we have is each others words to judge by.  It is only human nature to have an agenda.  For example, in the past I have mentioned that I enlisted in the Army, and volunteered for Viet Nam at a time when it was not the PC thing to do.  This makes my agenda obvious. I am a true believer in the American experiment.  When people weigh my words, they do so with the sure knowledge of where im "coming from"

Had you identified your religious back ground. It would have made understanding where you were coming from far easier.

As far as your religion goes.  It is up to guys like me (younger versions of course :)to make sure that you never have to choose between Islam and a bullet in the head. Soldiers understand that and they take on the responsibility voluntarily.  It is what makes our young troops special.

Offline Gadfly

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2001, 06:41:00 PM »
Pardon me, I was wrong.

http://www.quaker.org/crime.html

Offline Gadfly

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2001, 06:44:00 PM »
Hey Easy, I see you are from Houston.  Ever visited any of "your people's" bars on the beach in Freeport(Surfside)?

Offline ispar

• Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2001, 06:55:00 PM »
Originally posted by easymo:
On a faceless Internet, all we have is each others words to judge by.  It is only human nature to have an agenda.  For example, in the past I have mentioned that I enlisted in the Army, and volunteered for Viet Nam at a time when it was not the PC thing to do.  This makes my agenda obvious. I am a true believer in the American experiment.  When people weigh my words, they do so with the sure knowledge of where im "coming from"

Had you identified your religious back ground. It would have made understanding where you were coming from far easier.

As far as your religion goes.  It is up to guys like me (younger versions of course  :)to make sure that you never have to choose between Islam and a bullet in the head. Soldiers understand that and they take on the responsibility voluntarily.  It is what makes our young troops special.

Alrighty, I can accept that  :). Yes, it would have made things a little more clear, and I'll keep that in mind. I was reluctant to share the information, but decided that it was relevant later on...

And amen to that. I greatly respect those who do put their lives on the line to protect you and me, even as I despise the necessity, and even as I believe the fact that war being a necessity serves only to propagate it. Sounds weird, but it's the truth.

S!

Offline easymo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2001, 07:06:00 PM »
Gadfly. actually I live in Spring(suburb for the rest of you). I don't get out your way to often.

Offline indian

• Copper Member
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2001, 07:50:00 PM »
Just a thought: If against war why play a game base on war and killing?  :confused:

Offline Gadfly

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2001, 07:52:00 PM »
Freeport is SSW of Houston, take FM2004 off 45.  There are some very good (Biker) bars down there(well, there were when I was there in the late 70's, anyway), and I never had a problem as a young surfer dude with anyone there, in spite of our ignorance.