Author Topic: easymo, kindly read (not a flame)  (Read 2123 times)

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
easymo, kindly read (not a flame)
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2001, 08:05:00 PM »
Oh, I have no doubt you are "at peace" with it.

I, however, view the juxtaposition of the non-violent Quaker getting his jollies playing a war game in a somewhat different light.

Go get 'em.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline ispar

• Nickel Member
      • http://None :-)
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2001, 08:15:00 PM »
Originally posted by Toad:
Oh, I have no doubt you are "at peace" with it.

I, however, view the juxtaposition of the non-violent Quaker getting his jollies playing a war game in a somewhat different light.

Go get 'em.

*shrug*

If you like.

Offline capt. apathy

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.moviewavs.com/cgi-bin/moviewavs.cgi?Bandits=danger.wav
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2001, 09:00:00 PM »
ispar,
 just a note to say, i get your possition on this and it makes sense to me.

Offline Snoopi

• Zinc Member
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2001, 10:22:00 PM »
Aces High is as much about real war as "Battleship" is.

B3....miss.  drat !

Some people join virtual versions of miltary squads to try increase immersion in the pursuit of a fantasy war.
Others join squads for the simple fun of "hanging out with the boys"
Others couldn't care less about joing a squad.

I think of Aces High as a game of chess.

I don't think for a second that it's anything like real combat.
There are, no doubt, many others out there who think the same way.

[ 09-25-2001: Message edited by: Snoopi ]

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2001, 11:54:00 PM »
I'm still confused..

..but laffin my bellybutton off nonetheless.

'What did the Buddist fighter pilot say to the Quaker Bomber pilot?'

"Bang; yer dead!"

Bwwwwwwwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh!!!!

This is one heluva community... bless you all. <S!>
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2001, 01:57:00 AM »
quote ispar
"Something about violence is thrilling to the human psyche"

a pacifist that likes violent games, something just not right here.

yoda and i will think on this we will

[ 09-26-2001: Message edited by: john9001 ]

Offline buhdman

• Copper Member
      • http://home.earthlink.net/~wjbarrow
« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2001, 11:40:00 AM »
Originally posted by Hangtime:
I'm still confused..

..but laffin my bellybutton off nonetheless.

'What did the Buddist fighter pilot say to the Quaker Bomber pilot?'

"Bang; yer dead!"

Bwwwwwwwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh!!!!

This is one heluva community... bless you all. <S!>

No, he says:

"Bang!  With these simulated bullets I send you on to your next incarnation.  I hope you have learned well from this life and that any Karma you have generated is good Karma.  I look forward to meeting you in your next life where we can learn from each other even more of life's mysteries!  <Salute, ohhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmm>"

Offline ispar

• Nickel Member
« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2001, 01:46:00 PM »
john, that's one reason why wars continue to be fought. That's right, I'm a pacifist who enjoys violent computer games. To an extent, that is - some are definitely too much for me. That doesn't mean that in real life, when things start to get dirty that it's enjoyable. I probably should have said "action," or "excitement." It's a little closer I suppose. But violence is a broader term than "shooting and killing things."

And SwampRat, yes I am willing to die for my beliefs. I am not willing to kill for my beliefs. When it comes to down to survival, however - I assume that is what you are talking about - I am simply not sure. If it's just me and someone trying to mug me and kill me in a dark alley, yeah, I'll fight for my life. It's very circumstantial.

[ 09-26-2001: Message edited by: ispar ]

Offline easymo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2001, 02:19:00 PM »
This is America people.  A mans religious beliefs are his own affair.  They need not be defended.

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2001, 02:25:00 PM »
Aye; Easymo. Good point.  :)
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #40 on: September 26, 2001, 02:28:00 PM »
Aces High is about as violent as "You don't know Jack" (or whatever that POS from Sierra is called)...

Look at it this way: All FPS games have blood sprites modelled and blood bitmaps that apply to wall/ground textures if the 'human' model is shot. The models are so detailed that you can shoot them in the head and they die instantly- same with the heart. Other places on the body just take points off and slowly kill you. In Half-Life in particular, if you blow someone up- you have guts and other mangled body parts floating about.

That is graphic violence.

In Aces High it's only as violent as you make it. If you sit there and pretend this is a real war and those are real people dying, then I guess you can claim it is violent.

I don't view it that way. There's a pilot model, but there is no blood modelled. There is no "death" and there is no "life" either. Things blow up or crash, but there isn't a sign of attempting to re-create humans inside of the game.

In WWII pilots who shot down planes looked at it from the point of view that they were shooting the plane down, and not the person inside of the plane.

You can argue it either way, but I don't see any video games (no matter how graphic) as violent. Why? Hey buddy, reality check: it's a computer program. Violence requires real bullets, real fists, real blood and real death.
-SW

Offline ispar

• Nickel Member
« Reply #41 on: September 26, 2001, 02:40:00 PM »
Thanks easymo.

A good point SWulfe. That is a part of how I look at it.

Offline ispar

• Nickel Member
« Reply #42 on: September 26, 2001, 07:08:00 PM »
That is a very difficult call. Given a.) that I am armed, for whatever reason and b.) that I have absolutely no hope otherwise, I think the honest answer is that I would fight. I believe that personal self-defense is an entirely different matter, with far more depending upon circumstances. If I have absolutely no option but to fight (and 90% of the time it is possible to find a way out without fighting, IMO) than that is what I pick. I do want to stay alive and preserve the lives of my family. Other than that situation, I find a way to get the hell out of Dodge without fighting anyone. Negotiation isn't always an option, but neither is fighting.

However, personal self-defense goes far beyond conflict on an international level. I know that this war is being called necessary self-defense, and the irony is that at this point it may be indeed be so - but fighting will not solve the problem either. This didn't happen simply because someone decided they hated the US. There are motives, which should be addressed. But that's a topic for another thread  ;).

SwampRat, does that address your question? Is it clear?
...and I think I should add, faced with the specific situation you mentioned that I would not fight. I don't yet know whether they are going to try and kill me or my family. In hopes of not causing trouble and being spared, I would surrender - yes and likely get killed later. But I don't know that... which is why it happens. Sad world sometimes.

Originally posted by SwampRat:
Ispar (and all)
  I am not calling ispar's beliefs into question.  I AM however attempting to wade through the grey and get to either black or white.  Let me make this easy with an example of something that HAS happened on a large scale.

Ispar, Mom, Dad, Wife and Kids are approached by 2 armed men.  Ispar is standing to the back a little out of the way.  Ispar is also armed (lets say...for sake of argument).  Ispar also know's the armed men are a pair of Slobodan Milosoveks henchmen, and Ispar is Albanian, in ...Kosovo.

....Ispar, where do you draw the line at being pacifist?  This is not a grey subject, and my analogy is VERY black and white.  You either let your family die, or you resort to hard-core violence to save thier lives.  I fail to realise the difference whether this be family or large scale conflict, how can you be unsure?  You are either pacifist or not...right?

Forgive me for backing you into a corner, but the United States is facing a crisis far beyond what your average citizen has yet to realise.  The Taliban kills people...Islamic fundamentalists KILL people. We've lost 6000+ and WE WILL lose more. We need unity and support (yes I am Military).  We do NOT need a return to the Viet-nam era campus limpdick cowardly attitude (not accusing you, I've read your other posts) that has already begun to surface.  In a nutshell, stand by your beliefs as stated and show a little support, you have no obligation to respond to negative posts about your character, and I would like to request the anti-violence message be carefully thought over before more flamewars begin, the deeper this gets the more it seems to fuel the fire of discontent.

Tumor (formerly Swamprat)

P.S.  Again, per statements you've made in other threads, thankyou for your humble attitude and support.

Offline buhdman

• Copper Member
      • http://home.earthlink.net/~wjbarrow
« Reply #43 on: September 27, 2001, 10:43:00 AM »
Originally posted by SwampRat:
Ispar (and all)
  I am not calling ispar's beliefs into question.  I AM however attempting to wade through the grey and get to either black or white.  Let me make this easy with an example of something that HAS happened on a large scale.

Ispar, Mom, Dad, Wife and Kids are approached by 2 armed men.  Ispar is standing to the back a little out of the way.  Ispar is also armed (lets say...for sake of argument).  Ispar also know's the armed men are a pair of Slobodan Milosoveks henchmen, and Ispar is Albanian, in ...Kosovo.

....Ispar, where do you draw the line at being pacifist?  This is not a grey subject, and my analogy is VERY black and white.  You either let your family die, or you resort to hard-core violence to save thier lives.  I fail to realise the difference whether this be family or large scale conflict, how can you be unsure?  You are either pacifist or not...right?

Forgive me for backing you into a corner, but the United States is facing a crisis far beyond what your average citizen has yet to realise.  The Taliban kills people...Islamic fundamentalists KILL people. We've lost 6000+ and WE WILL lose more. We need unity and support (yes I am Military).  We do NOT need a return to the Viet-nam era campus limpdick cowardly attitude (not accusing you, I've read your other posts) that has already begun to surface.  In a nutshell, stand by your beliefs as stated and show a little support, you have no obligation to respond to negative posts about your character, and I would like to request the anti-violence message be carefully thought over before more flamewars begin, the deeper this gets the more it seems to fuel the fire of discontent.

Tumor (formerly Swamprat)

P.S.  Again, per statements you've made in other threads, thankyou for your humble attitude and support.

I'd like to add my take on this.  Although I am not your "typical Buhddist", I try to follow the 5 precepts of Buhddism, one of which is "I shall refrain from harming any living creature".  Notice the words "refrain from" as opposed to "shalt not".  Very important.  I have read several books by the Dahli Llama from Tibet, and his advice is this.  You cannot predict what situation you will find yourself in.  But should you find yourself confronted with a dangerous situation like the one you describe, SwampRat, you should approach it with rationality and compassion.

If, in this situation, I were to allow the assailant to continu uninterrupted, my inaction would result in the direct harm of those I love and perhaps many, many others.  I would weigh this, in an ever-so-short split second, against the harm I would do to the assailant and the assailant would be dead before he could hear the gun fire, if there were no other way.

Have I harmed another living creature? Yes.  Have I acted with compassion? Yes.  Have I avoided harm to the assailant's other intended victims? Yes.  Have I been true to the Precepts?  Most definitely.

The bottom line is that I can live with that decision.

We all have to make choices in this life and some of them are very difficult ones.  The key is not to approach them with emotion and fear, but with compassion, confidence, and rationality.

IMHO.

I hope this helps you understand how I, as an individual, would react.  And I hope it helps you understand better how other Buhddists might react. (Note the word "might", here.  Not all Buhddists would feel and react the way I do)

Buhdman, out

Offline Snoopi

• Zinc Member
« Reply #44 on: September 27, 2001, 09:57:00 PM »
Originally posted by buhdman:
.....Being Buhddist, I can empathize with you.  

Buhdman: i'm interested in learning more about Buddism.
I find religions facinating and was wondering of you know of any good web sites that explain the basics of it without be having to read for the next 6 months straight.

You may as well send a private msg if you like.

Thanks a lot !