Author Topic: Fastest way from 20,000ft to tarmac  (Read 753 times)

Offline jaxxo

• Silver Member
Fastest way from 20,000ft to tarmac
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2005, 08:02:39 PM »
"My fav is diving right at runway full speed with the airframe moaning like a HO'd BK"

:lol

if its not more than 5 miles i will forgo the usual auger and make the boring trip home to land gear up screeching trying to see how many parts its possible to lose :)

Offline 715

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2005, 09:01:23 PM »
I almost always come in fast over the end of the runway and then do a high G 360 degree flat turn.  I live near a military air base and virtually every jet I see land does the same thing- except not quit as high G.  I think it might be standard procedure- it gets you within the "safety" of the field ack without being an easy to bounce low and slow target.  I do it every time just in case there are enemy in the area I didn't see.  I also occasionaly do the hard side slip thing but that just looks so ugly and I can't imagine anyone doing that often in real life.  Seems like you could depart controlled flight near the ground too easily.

Offline Darkish

• Nickel Member
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2005, 01:07:59 AM »
I like to come screaming in, angle off a bit , pull a tunnel vision semi-high yo-yo with the power off into a 180 flat turn (popping undercarriage as speed falls off), stomp on the right foot coming out of it into a couple of snap rolls for height 'n speed adjustment and grease her in with crossed controls ...... suprised the hell out of the wife the first time.

Offline Schutt

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2005, 03:42:57 AM »
Sounds decent and stylisch darkish, better than the flat 360 i usually pull. can you post a film?

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2005, 04:31:40 AM »
<<<---- like darkish

come in at max speed. usually im rtb on the deck anyhow, at the end of the runway pull the hardest high yo-yo possible and deploy flaps/gear at the crest of the manouver. now, from a hieght of around 800ft i side-slip down and flare off for a smooth 3 pont landing.

The whole point of Aces High for me in essence is pretending to be a WW2 fighter pilot, and they had to land to get out of thier planes, therefore so do I.

I wont rtb if i have no kills, but even with 3 or 4 i love the feeling of shooting off over the tree tops with my wingman to land a few kills each.

thats not dweebish, dont want my name in lights etc, etc, i just love the feeling of a job well done.

i very rarely go home to land large numbers of easy kills in a furball or a vulch-fest tho.
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
short landing film example
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2005, 04:46:23 AM »
heres a typical landing for me in AH coming in on the deck from a fight, except here i have all my plane parts still attatched. not the best of landings but does the job.

http://www.freeroleentertainment.com/film254.ahf
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline Lye-El

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2005, 09:05:12 AM »
Originally posted by 715
I also occasionaly do the hard side slip thing but that just looks so ugly and I can't imagine anyone doing that often in real life.  Seems like you could depart controlled flight near the ground too easily.

Sideslip good for loosing altitude without gaining much airspeed. Is also applied for crosswind landings which we don't have to worry about because there is no weather.

i dont got enough perkies as it is and i like upen my lancs to kill 1 dang t 34 or wirble its fun droping 42 bombs

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2005, 10:37:46 AM »
I pretty much go straight down, then do some imaginary Scissors exercises.
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"

Offline ColKLink

• Nickel Member
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2005, 11:08:49 AM »
HEres what a feller wants to do, divin from 20-25 k, point  nose straight down for at least 1 full minute, keeping always on the alert and observing for  any vulchers. when your speed gets near 650, gently pull up,...at this point 1 of 2 things will happin, #1 nothing, #2your eyes will get very large, and last of all, you are safely on the ground where humans are ment to be. thats the peep landing sequence, enjoy. (you might wanna check how many times i have landed, b4, using this profected teqnique. your bud the peep.:aok
Live each day like it's your last, and one day, you will be right.---- rush 2112,--->" and the sheep shall inherit the earth"......