Author Topic: How does an EP-3 ram a fighter?  (Read 4191 times)

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
How does an EP-3 ram a fighter?
« Reply #90 on: April 09, 2001, 06:03:00 PM »
Duckwing,

I don't have access to the ICAO regs, but I think you have missed something.

As support, here's three very detailed links.

United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea

Establishes that "territorial" waters and airspace (basically where the nation can do what it likes) is restricted to a 12 mile limit.
 http://www.greenpeace.org/~intlaw/laws82-1.html#article_2_legal_status_of_the_terri

San Remo Manual on International Law Applicable to Armed Conflicts at Sea

Points out that Peacetime rules in some instances apply even during wartime (territorial waters, for instance) and legitimacy of some activities (reconnaissance) in both peacetime and wartime.
 http://www.icrc.org/icrceng.nsf/8ec4e051a8621595c12564670032d7ef/99cc2a9ab44033a5412562d70053b8a6?OpenDocument#6

Although I don't have access to the ICAO, I do have access to the US Airman's Information Manual. They are essentially the same in regulation IIRC.

This talks aboutintercepting OUTSIDE territorial waters, that is, in an ADIZ.
 http://www.faa.gov/ATPubs/AIM/Chap5/aim0506.html

b. Intercept phases (See FIG 5-6-1).

1. Phase One- Approach Phase.
During peacetime, intercepted aircraft will be approached from the stern. Generally two interceptor aircraft will be employed to accomplish the identification. The flight leader and wingman will coordinate their individual positions in conjunction with the ground controlling agency. Their relationship will resemble a line abreast formation. At night or in IMC, a comfortable radar trail tactic will be used. Safe vertical separation between interceptor aircraft and unknown aircraft will be maintained at all times. NOTE: These are instructions to the INTERCEPTOR

2. Phase Two- Identification Phase.
The intercepted aircraft should expect to visually acquire the lead interceptor and possibly the wingman during this phase in visual meteorological conditions (VMC). The wingman will assume a surveillance position while the flight leader approaches the unknown aircraft. Intercepted aircraft personnel may observe the use of different drag devices to allow for speed and position stabilization during this phase. The flight leader will then initiate a gentle closure toward the intercepted aircraft, stopping at a distance no closer than absolutely necessary to obtain the information needed. The interceptor aircraft will use every possible precaution to avoid startling intercepted aircrew or passengers. Additionally, the interceptor aircrews will constantly keep in mind that maneuvers considered normal to a fighter aircraft may be considered hazardous to passengers and crews of nonfighter aircraft. When interceptor aircrews know or believe that an unsafe condition exists, the identification phase will be terminated. As previously stated, during darkness or IMC identification of unknown aircraft will be by type only. Positive vertical separation will be maintained by interceptor aircraft throughout this phase.

3. Phase Three- Post Intercept Phase.
Upon identification phase completion, the flight leader will turn away from the intercepted aircraft. The wingman will remain well clear and accomplish a rejoin with the leader.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #91 on: April 10, 2001, 11:29:00 AM »
Here comes the Calvary .. no worries now mates!

I think the plan is to trade JJ for the 24 crew members ... I wish.

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Fatty

• Gold Member
      • http://www.fatdrunkbastards.com
« Reply #92 on: April 10, 2001, 04:00:00 PM »

Probably the most worrying thing i heard about 2 days after this... some US senator wanting it as an excuse to give Taiwan the 'arms it needs'... can anyone remember what happened when USSR parked weapons off your coast ?

The nuclear missles?  Not quite the same thing as missle defense cruisers.

TheWobble

« Reply #93 on: April 10, 2001, 05:34:00 PM »
JJ is just there because he knows that Wang's widow is single now.

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
« Reply #94 on: April 11, 2001, 07:25:00 AM »

Originally posted by paintmaw:
People sure love to hate the US

Does that mean the people can't critizise US at all but americans can critizise others?

Offline Argent

• Zinc Member
« Reply #95 on: April 11, 2001, 07:45:00 AM »
The nuclear missles? Not quite the same thing as missle defense cruisers.

Tell me it wont agitate them...
Tell me why you decided to not do so thus far...

Offline Fatty

• Gold Member
« Reply #96 on: April 11, 2001, 11:12:00 AM »
Hell Argent, a charter fishing boat will probably agitate them.  Should we care if missle defense agitates them?  No.  The strongest opposition to the Aegis Cruisers is that it will now be harder to bomb Taiwan.

Too damn bad.

Offline Fatty

• Gold Member
« Reply #97 on: April 11, 2001, 11:59:00 AM »
Forgot to answer the second part of the question.  I hate to sound like the far right on this one, but I've had enough of China the last two weeks.

The reason nothing was given to them to now is because the Chinese gave more to the Clinton campaigns.

(Yes, that's in jest, but the outcome is no different.  In fear of offending China, Taiwan was near cutoff, and that's catering to the wrong of the two.  Since the 70s we've had a congressional resolution to protect Taiwan's independence, and given the last 10 days any congressman that votes against it isn't likely to get reelected.)

[This message has been edited by Fatty (edited 04-11-2001).]