Author Topic: Thank you Sir Richard Branson, screw you europe.  (Read 296 times)

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
Thank you Sir Richard Branson, screw you europe.
« on: October 14, 2005, 07:27:41 PM »
Thank you.. just another reason to love Sir Richard Branson... (and the other contributors)

old one, only just read it though.

(Sally B was the fort used as "the memphis belle" in the film.)

Members, friends and Virgin Atlantic saves the day for Sally B

The UK’s last B-17 Flying Fortress Sally B grounded because of a new EU liability insurance regulations, has been reprieve with the help of insurers, supporters and Sir Richard Branson.

Sally B will now join the London flypast on July 10th marking the 60th anniversary of the end of World War II after Lloyds of London offered it just three months insurance instead of the usual annual premium. This has substantially reduced the cost.

The new EU regulation on third party insurance introduced on the 1st May, classed Sally B in the same category as an airliner. The annual premium increased by £1,000 extra per flying hour.

In an unprecedented move, on the 17th June, Lloyd's of London underwriter’s came up with an affordable solution to comply with new EU regulation EC 785/2004. Help has come from Lloyds brokers Marsh, Sally B's broker Arthur I Gallagher (UK) and other London insurance companies and Lloyds Underwriters.

Sally B's hull insurance underwriters also wished to help and generously stepped forward with a special deal to extend the aircraft's cover to the end of the 2005 season.

The operators B-17 Preservation said that help has also come from many other sources. Our Members of the Sally B Supporters club have helped, as have the public. One Leicester businessman has made a substantial personal donation, and Sir Richard Branson has generously offered to pay for the three month season's third party liability premium.

Commenting on Virgin Atlantic's involvement, Sir Richard Branson said: "When we were told about the plight of Sally B everyone at Virgin Atlantic felt we ought to do something to help keep this amazing aircraft flying. I am honoured that Virgin Atlantic has helped ensure that the Sally B will take pride of place in the 60th Anniversary Flypast over Buckingham Palace this summer"

Elly Sallingboe, the head of B-17 Preservation, said: " We are intensely grateful to everyone who has offered us so much support in this serious crisis for Sally B. But this is only the beginning, the problem has not gone away, we must now plan ahead. As long term solution must be found if Sally B is to continue flying for the education and enjoyment of future generations. I am counting on the powers of our government to grant us an exemption from this illogical situation and for Brussels to amend this law to consider the limitations within which Sally B flies, rather than the current criteria based simply on aircraft weight. And, it is vital that the aircraft receives further financial support to meet the ever-increasing costs."

A petition seeking an exemption to the new EU regulation has already been signed by 7000 people.

I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline Debonair

• Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2005, 07:57:18 PM »
Its odd that insurance would be so much more now, since there are much fewer armed messerschmitts flying over England these days.  Inflation, I guess

Offline Wolfala

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2005, 09:24:16 PM »
Seeing as my premiums have gone up 500 % since 1998 and it now costs 15G to insure a Tiger that is only worth 60G...well...somehow the math makes sense.

the best cure for "wife ack" is to deploy chaff:    $...$$....$....$$$.....$ .....$$$.....$ ....$$

Offline Geary420

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2005, 03:32:31 AM »
Pulls up lawnchair, cracks beer, waits for a certain someone to come squeeeeeeeel about how that plane should be sitting in a museum wasting away :noid

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2005, 09:34:26 AM »
LOL Debonair...I liked that :)

~AoM~