Author Topic: Weapons and their purpose  (Read 526 times)

Offline Frazzy

• Zinc Member
Weapons and their purpose
« on: October 23, 2005, 11:45:19 PM »
Is there a link somewhere or a webpage that shows what the various weapons do?  Such as maybe what the different rockets do and ranges and stuff like that for the German and Allied planes?

There have been a few times I have selected rockets and fired them off just to see them go poof a few seconds later.  I figured I must have overlooked a help page somewhere but just cant seem to find what I am looking for.  Any help would be sincerely appreciated.

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2005, 12:24:04 AM »
as far as i know, the rockets burn fuel for a few seconds and then free fall to target. this is why it looks like they go poof.
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline LLv34_Snefens

• Nickel Member
      • Lentolaivue 34
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2005, 03:01:46 AM »
The rockets that blow up in the air are the rockets of the 110G.  They were intented to be "lobbed" into large bomber formations. They were not for Air-to-Ground.

On the other hand the rockets on the Fw190F-8 are pure Air-to-Ground. Actually Air-to-Tank as they don't have that big explosive power but only a charge to penetrate the armour. (Hollow charge)
Snefens, Lentolaivue 34.

"Luck beats skill anytime"

Offline AutoPilot

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2005, 12:20:44 PM »
you  mean the WRg rockets right?They are available on the 110-G-2,190-
A-8 and A-5 as well as 109 variants.

I have found that if you attack a bomber from the 6 position with these rockets the proper firing range is 1.7 to 1.9  out.Slightly pulling up
on the stick to correct for the drop in the rockets glide path.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2005, 12:37:44 PM »
I found they drop about 500 feet after you fire them. Your distances are about right. It depends on your speed (if you're much faster than the target, fire them sooner, as they will fly further).

I did a test in HTH once, I was in a 110G with 4 rockets and had another person in a 110G and I shot then the other shot, we were trying to learn the rockets. So at the same speed(*), the rockets will detonate at 1.4k, having dropped about 500 feet when they do.

(*) Note that if you're faster than the target the rockets will go further, open fire sooner, if you're going head-on try for 2.8k-3k, I've hear others say that works.

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2005, 01:07:36 PM »
500 feet?  Or 500 yards?
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2005, 01:46:54 PM »
roughly estimated about 500 feet drop. That's about what I'd say, I didn't have another plane flying at a dif alt as there were only 2 of us testing. That's all I can say.

EDIT: I'll add that I estimated the drop in F3 mode and via film viewer afterwards. I don't have the film anymore (I *might have it, archived, but it's lost to me right now), so this is just my word on the matter. If you want to do some tests or anything it'd be nice to have definitive answers.