Author Topic: SPCA Persecutes animal lovers!  (Read 255 times)

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
SPCA Persecutes animal lovers!
« on: October 17, 2005, 10:12:07 PM »
We train em young ;)

Rugby sheep chase gets SPCA's goat
15 October 2005  
By TANYA KATTERNS

Halftime family entertainment – children chasing sheep – billed as a salute to rural heartland folk, has led to a showdown between Wairarapa rugby chiefs and the SPCA.

Today's NPC third division final between Wairarapa-Bush and Horowhenua-Kapiti at Memorial Park in Masterton promises a red-hot atmosphere, and not just for the players.

Wairarapa-Bush Rugby Union has planned halftime sheep-chasing to keep the kids amused.

Five sheep, clad in Wairarapa-Bush jerseys, will be set loose on the pitch and primary school-aged children will race to catch one if they can to win a prize.

But the event, held many times in the past without controversy, has this time drawn the ire of the Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.

The society's Wairarapa president, Val Ball, said moves would have been made years ago to try to shut down the event, but it was never widely publicised till now.

Though she accepted it was unlikely the sheep would come to any harm, it was the message that was being sent to children that was at the root of the SPCA's objection.

"To me it says nothing more than it is okay to bully animals. If it were a dog chasing sheep it would be shot. Our children need to be taught to respect animals."

The SPCA had appealed to the rugby union to can the event. Though it would go ahead for the final, there had been an assurance it would be the last time, Mrs Ball said.

Union chief executive Phil Taylor said though he had listened to the SPCA, the concerns were unfounded. The sheep were being supplied by local farmers, who all agreed it was an entertaining five minutes and caused no one any harm.

"We will ask the parents beforehand if they are happy to be involved so we are not seen to be encouraging bullying. We are talking about well-controlled and well-monitored fun. I can't see what all the fuss is about."

Meanwhile Wairarapa rugby fans have entered into the spirit of the occasion, hundreds turning up for work yesterday clad in green and red in support of the home side.

It is the first time Wairarapa-Bush has had a home final and Mr Taylor said the team was determined not to become third division bridesmaids again.

Offline Pooh21

• Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2005, 10:26:34 PM »
According to the article the SPCA is advocating shooting dogs.

hypocrites :aok
Bis endlich der Fiend am Boden liegt.
Bis Bishland bis Bishland bis Bishland wird besiegt!

Offline JCLerch

• Copper Member
      • http://Lerch.no-ip.com/atm
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2005, 10:45:17 PM »
I think this quote sums up SPCA's motiviations:

moves would have been made years ago to try to shut down the event, but it was never widely publicised till now.

So, if the event was never widely publicised, I guess it would be OK with SPCA for it to continue.  
:rolleyes:

Offline joowenn

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2005, 11:17:42 PM »

Offline sling322

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2005, 11:29:26 PM »
She does know that people use sheepdogs to chase sheep around all the time right?  Is that considered cruelty also?

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2005, 11:34:04 PM »
Yes, it is.

I'd post a quote about Veggies and Teetolars, but I can't find it right now.
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"

Offline GtoRA2

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2005, 12:59:56 AM »
Chasing sheep and scaring them makes them skitish....

No one likes a Skitish sheep. :D

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2005, 02:26:32 AM »
Originally posted by GtoRA2
No one likes a Skitish sheep. :D

oh, I dunno..

read somthin once about an epileptic sheep and this slack-jawed new zealand yokel...  

never mind.
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2005, 05:08:39 AM »
I like my sheep nervous, tense, and... tight.