Author Topic: Windows XP,good or bad?  (Read 543 times)

Offline ~Caligula~

• Nickel Member
Windows XP,good or bad?
« on: September 25, 2001, 05:19:00 AM »
I have win xp professional installed.
Great OS IMO,and it has some great features.
Mediaplayer plays DVDs,burns CDs etc.
Made me think if it`s gonna put out of buisness companies that were making software for such stuff.
Who`s gonna pay for musicmatch,realjukebox,power DVD,EZCD creator etc. if all that`s allready included in windows?
FA3 isn`t included  :)But the zone is.
I checked it out,better but still outdated graphics,the same old POS flightmodel.

Offline AcId

• Silver Member
Windows XP,good or bad?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2001, 08:24:00 AM »
As far as XP is concerned I can only talk about the stability (we're testing it) and it seems pretty good if not better than win2k. Haven't tried to game on it but it will come with a new DX.

However, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Unless your a tweaker like me   :)

Offline chad

• Zinc Member
      • http://None
Windows XP,good or bad?
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2001, 08:40:00 AM »
I have Xp installed too, but I am having problems getting my MFFB Joystick to work. I have looked at the microsoft Web Site but no feedback, I think they want me to buy the MFFB2.

Other than the Joystick problem, I would recommend windows Xp with a system higher than these settings

500Mghz
128 Megs of ram
Geforce 1

Also, why go against the technology when u are going to use it one day. Dont start getting this reaction from any OS " ITS Different, I dont want to touch it"

Also, I am doing a degree in IT, so its my job to try out new Hardware and software for companys  :), God I love my job and life  :).

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Windows XP,good or bad?
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2001, 09:10:00 AM »
Different is one thing chad.  But we are talking about Microsoft.  I, personally, would love a different operating system and get rather upset about an industry that cannot move forward due to maintaining backward compatibilty.

Anyone that beleives the first round generation of a Microsoft product is stable has not been around this industry very long.  Microsoft has a very rock steady history of producing first round products that have many, many problems.
But instead of focusing on fixing the problems they just move along and introduce new products to replace the problematic ones, which intriduces a whole new series of problems.
Let's see,..98, which was a direct off shoot of 95 has been around for 6 years and no one here will step up and say the OS is solid.  Hmmm.

On the other hand, I have to laugh everytime I read how stable 2K is.  Given it still has over 40 thousand documented bugs that still have not been addressed,...it makes me wonder.  And before anyone jumps in and tells me, "it is better than what we had".  I will acknowledge that, but that still is not good.
From a marketing point of view, Microsoft does a nice job of insuring no one will ever be able to do a knock-off of any operating system they produce.

Understand my perspective before you go off on me.  I am used to operating systems that are stable, ones that are secure, and that simply work all the time.
Or another twist, you guys would not be happy if HTC had decided to use 2K for the server OS.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Windows XP,good or bad?
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2001, 10:25:00 AM »
Originally posted by chad:

Other than the Joystick problem, I would recommend windows Xp with a system higher than these settings

without a joystick, what good is a home computer? space heater?  :)

if anyone gets XP running with X36 combo and CH pro peds, both USB, in AH like it does in Win98, please let the rest of us "wait and seers" know...

thx
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Pei

• Silver Member
Windows XP,good or bad?
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2001, 10:33:00 AM »
Windows and stable are an oxymoron. Win2K is the most stable of the M$ Windoze OSs but that is not exactly a great achievement considering the competition.
M$ have so far, like Skuzzy said, avoided really fixing the buggy systems they release by bringing out shiny new ones every couple of years. However the industry has become wary justifiably wary of this (hence the pretty much empty Service Pack 1 for Win2K: so many people had so many problems with the first realses of Win95/98 and NT4.0 that the usual response was "we won't consider upgrading until Service Pack 1". So M$ produce a pointless service pack to get these guys on board). Realizing that they can't go on foisting new OS on us every five minutes (and thus getting a huge influx of cash) they have decided XP will effectively be subscription based so we all have to pay again when we upgrade our hardware in a year or so (this will be of particulr important to us gamers who regularly tweek and add new components). If only there was a viable alternative for the average user they wouldn't be able to get away with this but of course with their monopoly unchallenged there isn't much point to any other company trying.
I am in the process of getting rid of ME and swapping to Win2K for my Windoze partition and I have no intention of getting involved in XP. The only thing it has going for it that if they want people to keep it and pay subscriptions they will have to provide better support than they have in the past.

If you want to try stable get invovled in Linux. We have a Linux server running apache under fairly high load (it's a low spec machine). We finally took it down for an upgrade last month - previous to that it had been running continuously without a crash or reboot for over five months. I know of other Linux servers that have run for longer. My experience of Win2K server and NT4.0 under lower loads has given me an expectation of having to reboot at least once a month.

I live in hope that there will one day be a great 3D card API and a complete set of drivers for Linux and that more games will support it. If that miracle would come then I'd dump the M$ POS in a heartbeat.

Offline Animal

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
Windows XP,good or bad?
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2001, 09:19:00 PM »
OH MY GOD MICROSOFT IS EVIL AND BILL GATES KILLS BABIES AND DUMPS THEM DOWN THE CREEK!!!

seriously, IMO, XP is THE best OS for customers who dont do very technical stuff. Normal web surfers, game players, homework, etc, etc.. Its a very stable OS for them, fool proof enough (dont underestimate the stupidity of AOL users with Compaq computers).

It is a great OS. Yes it may have bugs. But I have been using it for 3 months now, and it has crashed on me about 4 times only, and it was because I tried to use incompatible software.

As for servers and workstations, Win2k is fine.
For servers, UNIX and Linux are best, but I'm not sure. Skuzzy?

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Windows XP,good or bad?
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2001, 09:28:00 AM »
Well, at the risk of Lephturn jumping me about it  :),....yes most forms of UNIX make a much more stable and secure platform for a server.
UNIX also require much less of an investment in hardware to run.
One of my big issues with MS based OS's, especially in a server environment, is how MS consistently goes against RFC's in thier network implementations.  RFC's, for those that are not in the know, define virtually every protocol used on the Internet.
Now we have RFC's to patch the previous RFC's so we can interoperate with MS OS's.

BIND (the name service, used for many, many years...even before MS was around), SMTP, PPP, POP, IMAP, and TCP had to be patched to work around differences in the way MS thought it should work.
Whether intentional or not, it appears MS does not care about standards and are willing to force everyone else to be compliant to them.

Don't get me wrong here.  UNIX has had its share of problems over the years, as some of the UNIX's just did not maintain themselves well.
Linux, on the other hand, is a rather amazing OS.  Put together by individuals from all over the world, it is amazing how well it conforms to the RFC's.  

Overall, I am seeing a trend in MS OS's that originally caused most other OS's to die.  MS appears to given up on backward compatibilty.  There is good and bad in this.  The bad being, software developers are having to go back and rewrite code to work on the new OS's, particularly true of the I/O devices.
The good, it does allow more modern code and interfaces to be implemented, correcting the badly thought out way things were done before.  This would not be too bad a deal, if MS would give a copy of the compiler out with the OS, as UNIX does.
UNIX has undergone changes since its inception as well, but the all the development tools come with it.  I have source code I wrote over 20 years ago, that runs on UNIX today, but it did require a recompile to do so.  Not a big deal for UNIX users.
Try that with MS.  I have a complete development system for MS, and it costs, including manuals, about $3,500.00 U.S. to get the tools I am used to getting with UNIX for free.  Of course, when you think you are the only game in town, I guess you can do that.

We sell servers at AppLink as well.  Part of the deal is a garantee against crashes (i.e., if your server crashes in the first 30 days due to a problem in the software or hardware we will give a 100% refund and you keep the server).  We use Linux for the base OS, and have never had to refund anyone the pruchase price.  There is no way I would do this with a MS based server.

Our servers at AppLink typically run about 6 months before we reboot them, and those reboots are for upgrades.  In 6 years we have never had a software failure with any server.  Your mileage may vary.  I have about 25 years experience with UNIX, so that expertise goes a long way in configuring a server for long term use and under heavy loads.
Heck, just from a cost standpoint, I cannot figure out why any company would use a MS based server.  Try setting up a 1000 user SMTP/POP/IMAP server for under $2,000.00 U.S. with MS.  It cannot be done, not legally anyways.

Oy, I do get carried away.   :D
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline qts

• Nickel Member
      • None yet
Windows XP,good or bad?
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2001, 03:03:00 PM »
MS have also shot themselves in the foot by releasing XP so soon after W2000. Corporates really only started to upgrade this year and then came news of XP, so many have waited, and will continue to wait until late next year or beyond, thus depriving MS of upgrade revenue.

Offline RebootSequence

• Zinc Member
Windows XP,good or bad?
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2001, 10:31:00 PM »
I just loaded it on my 'Designed for Windows ME' laptop the other day and its great.  It's a strictly work machine so I don't care about games on it, though I know there are compatibility problems with quite a few.  I had put Win 2k on this laptop before and it took me a week to track down the drivers for the integrated audio, video and modem.  When I installed XP everything worked including my cardbus ethernet card right from the initial install.  For that alone I'm impressed even though I'm sure its chock full of bugs and security holes.  For a 600mhz laptop only used for working (Web development work with 6 programs open at once not just crunching an excel spreadsheet) it runs much better than Win ME or 2k did.  

On the negative side the new blue/green clunky round button look is just awful, set that thing back to windows classic theme just as fast as you can.  You'd think a company as big as microsoft would be capable of hiring at least a couple people who could design an attractive user interface, apparently all of those people went to work for apple.

-Sequence