Author Topic: Mutual Funds?  (Read 213 times)

Offline Seagoon

• Gold Member
      • http://www.providencepca.com
Mutual Funds?
« on: October 20, 2005, 09:23:14 PM »
Hi Guys,

My retirement fund of late has been doing appallingly (lost $568 during the last period) and so far my employer contribution is the only "growth" portion of the account. I'm allowed to change the investment contributions within the account as much as I want, but so far all I've been able to pick are dogs. Here's the list of plans I can go with:  

SMALL CAP (LORD ABBETT)     $1.25     10/19/2005
     MID CAP GROWTH (ARTISAN)    $1.89    10/19/2005
     LARGE CAP GROWTH (WADDELL)    $1.49    10/19/2005
     VALUE (MUTUAL SHARES)    $3.02    10/19/2005
     STOCK INDEX (VANGUARD)    $1.75    10/19/2005
     FOREIGN STOCK (TEMPLETON)    $2.15    10/19/2005
     BOND (FPA)    $1.61    10/19/2005
     MONEY MARKET (VANGUARD)

My current elections are Bond (50%) and Small Cap (50%).

Anyone good with this stuff got any advice? Which fund are you with and how is it doing? Got to admit, investing is something I know absolutely diddly about.

- SEAGOON
SEAGOON aka Pastor Andy Webb
"We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion... Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
Mutual Funds?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2005, 09:24:46 PM »
<--  speachless. (also clueless)
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline Dago

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
Mutual Funds?
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2005, 09:28:13 PM »
I got a fair amount in small cap, it has been doing quite well the last year or two.

I dont offer advice, I dont consider myself an expert, and I dont want responsibility for others money.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
Mutual Funds?
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2005, 09:39:39 PM »
Big Oil and Halliburton look quite profitable for a couple more years.

Offline Hwkeye

• Copper Member
Seagoon 'ol squaddie...
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2005, 10:19:52 PM »
I guess that you have forgotten that I am a Financial Advisor with 20 years experience!!

For you Pro Bono advice! ;)

Call me (800) 820-8772 x129

or email me lerobinson1@netscape.net

Offline Seagoon

• Gold Member
      • http://www.providencepca.com
Re: Seagoon 'ol squaddie...
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2005, 10:55:39 PM »
Originally posted by Hwkeye
I guess that you have forgotten that I am a Financial Advisor with 20 years experience!!

For you Pro Bono advice! ;)

Call me (800) 820-8772 x129

or email me lerobinson1@netscape.net

Doh!

[Hits self in head] I had forgotten that silly me.  Sorry Hawkeye.

I was just sitting around lamenting my last statement (not only that the amount is so small, but that I seem to only be good at making it even smaller)

I'll be in touch, but I feel bad about the pro-bono thing. Can I at least send you a cigar or something? ;-)

- SEAGOON
SEAGOON aka Pastor Andy Webb
"We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion... Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Offline Wolfala

• Platinum Member
Mutual Funds?
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2005, 11:25:28 AM »
I had the Templeton which was doing abysmally the past few years till I ****canned it about 2 months ago. Vanguard i've done alright with, but its an Index fund that follows the S&P 500 - lately its been down but was hovering around 112-113 the last 6-8 months. Its at 108 now, but thats not a big deal. Templeton I got rid of because of poor performance and maintnence costs.

1 major reason i'm a fan of no-load MF's.

the best cure for "wife ack" is to deploy chaff:    $...$$....$....$$$.....$ .....$$$.....$ ....$$

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Mutual Funds?
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2005, 01:32:25 PM »
Originally posted by oboe
Big Oil and Halliburton look quite profitable for a couple more years.

Its always been a good investment.

Offline Hwkeye

• Copper Member
A Cigar works for me!!!
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2005, 03:44:16 PM »
As a Financial Advisor & Principal for my company I am not allowed to comment on investment topics via the internet (which includes email) without prior Broker Dealer/Registered Investment Advisor approval.  So a phone call or email from you is the way to go Andrew.  Just expect any response to be via phone or in writing.