Author Topic: Re-doing a room.  (Read 288 times)

Offline Hawklore

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
Re-doing a room.
« on: October 21, 2005, 02:37:22 PM »
Allright guys I'm redoing my room from the darkblue ceiling, sky blue walls and green trim..

:lol :rolleyes: :confused:

I've got a few ideas..

bare with me, I drew them up on the computer to get an idea of what it would look like..

The bottom area is the floor, top is the ceiling, and the black area is a closet and a door.

Something will be hung in the closet, curtain, bamboo beads, etc. depending on what style I choose, door will be painted accordingly, or made into a wood looking door.

Shades of grey would be concrete textured paint.

Shades of brown would be wood siding/flooring/bamboo.

If anyone has seen house of flying daggers, this is an attempt at a bamboo forrest stlye room.

Concrete bunker style room.

Shades of grey would most likely be the same, just had to keep the colors seperate so I could make another one easily.

And my least favorite.

"So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart.
Trouble no one about their religion;
respect others in their view, and demand that they respect yours.
Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life." - Chief Tecumseh

Offline megadud

• Gold Member
Re-doing a room.
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2005, 02:50:54 PM »
i would go with the red

PS- jackoffsville got lucky err jacksonville..lucky...

Offline Hawklore

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
Re-doing a room.
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2005, 02:55:34 PM »
Originally posted by megadud
i would go with the red

PS- jackoffsville got lucky err jacksonville..lucky...

I didn't even count the win against cinci a win..

Pittsburg game was a lucky one, our defense won it for us..just like that last 4 games...:furious
Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life." - Chief Tecumseh

Offline indy007

• Gold Member
Re-doing a room.
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2005, 03:13:01 PM »
You don't want to live in a gray room. Subliminal effect, but it'll feel like living in a prison over time.

Red rooms tend to have more activity going on in them. Good color if you have an active lifestyle.

Yellow rooms make you commit suicide (no joke, people commit suicide in yellow rooms more often than any other color.. but I dunno why people track that stat...).

Green rooms are nice & calming.. that's why when HR tries to brainwash you with good worker propaganda, they tend to feature green backgrounds & colors in an effort to pacify you... and sometimes the sounds of the rainforest... no joke, had it done to me... twice. I can recite employee sensitivity training... straight from my nightmares.

Right now my walls are a ralph lauren demin texture. Took 3 days and some overpriced paint & a few extra tools... but chicks dig it, so it wasn't a bad investment.

I'd go with the red over the green if I were you.

Offline Hawklore

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
Re-doing a room.
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2005, 03:21:15 PM »
It is going to be a bedroom/office/study area, I guess I should mention that.

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
Re-doing a room.
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2005, 03:23:49 PM »
Go hardcore with the reenactment thing.  Start with "concrete chunk" colored walls, "smokey dark gray sky" ceiling, "busted brick" borders, distress the wood trim a lot and have yourself a Stalingrad under Siege theme.

Offline Hawklore

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
Re-doing a room.
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2005, 03:26:22 PM »
It allready looks like that, just modern..

:lol

If I had the artistic abilities to draw brick, etc. I would..

Thats what turned me away from doing a stalingrad theme..

I could always do an Eastern European cabin style.

Anyone got any photos of the interior of a EE cabin?

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Re-doing a room.
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2005, 04:04:11 PM »
I wonder what this post is about especially I wonder what is the purpose of this :

and how it should be used.

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
Re-doing a room.
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2005, 05:06:46 PM »
Ok I do this for a living. for like 27 years now
So list,I say listen when I talk to you son ::Puttin on best foghorn Leghorn voice::

Red is a nice color but covers terribly. Your looking at at least 3 coats no matter what way you slice it.
And if you go with a quality paint lke Ben Moore or Sherwin Williams
Its going to cost you more.
And the darker you go the mor expencive its gonna be
 Home depot paint "Behr" and "Gliddon" is NOT quality paint I dontcare what consumer reports says

It you decide on a red Get a gallon of elcheapo flat paint  In Ben Moore that would be  "Superhide" and have it tinted to one shade darker then the color you want to go with and put a first coat of this on.
then 2 coats of The color red you want.
Trust me, its gonna take two more coats.
Unless you wanna put on 4+ coats. In which case by all means Skip the elcheapo paint.

Do not I repeat. do NOT let the clown in the paint store talk you into a tinted primer for that color.
Whats gonna happen is your going ot pay more for the primer then you would for the elcheapo paint to do the exact same job. Only it wont be the same because the primer is going to be tinted several shades  lighter then your finish coat.
Which means your back to 1 coat of primer, and 4 coats of wall paint.
That is. Unless you like painting the same set of walls 5 times.

Now for your top coat finish.
I primarily use Ben Moore so I will use their products as an example.
Sherwin Williams, Prat & Lambert, Muralo are also most exellant paints.

For a finish coat (on top of the base coat of elcheapo paint)
Remember. the flatter the finish the more elegant it is going to look. But its not as scrubbable as a shiney finish.
Problem with the shiney finishes is while they are more scrubbable they also will show off more imperfections in your walls and as a result you end up with a less then elegant look. Use a Smi gloss on your walls for example and every nick,ding,dent,pop and rollermark is going to show up.
That is why you dont put Semi on ceilings. Even in a bathroom.

Unless your the original Felix Unger type cleanfreak I'd stay away from Flat on the walls.
I'd reccoment one fo two products.
Either "Benjamin Moore Aqua Velvet" Which is a low sheen eggshell type finish or "Ben Moore Matte finish" Which has less sheen then the eggshall but it just as scrubbable
 the Matte is like an inbetween aFlat and an eggshell. Really nice stuff

Use Flat. "Moore Wall Satin" on the Ceiling
And Semi gloss "Moore AquaGlo" on the doors and trim.

And for gods sake spend more then $5 on a brush.
Spend the extra money and get a "Purdy" or a "Wooster"
Both outstanding brushes Though the Woosters are pretty much good to go right out of the box whereas Purdys take a while to get broken in right.

Decent brush will make cutting in nice straight lines along the ceilings and trim lightyears easier.
And if its going to take you several days to do. Instead of washing the brushes out every night just to use them in the same colors the next day.
Dip them in some paint and wrap them  snugly in plastic bags.
If you dont let them freeze, or sit out in the sun they will keep just fine for up to  a week or more

For rollercovers I personally prefer genuine lambskin. Forget lambfab it hold paint just fine but doest like to let go of it to put it on the wall and what you end upwith is a roller that weighs about 5 pounds and doesnt spread paint very far.

I like the lambskins because they hold alot of paint. Spread the paint  pretty far and tend to have alot less spatter then synthetic rollercovers

When rolling. Use a pole and roll from the ceiling to floor in one motion and not in two foot incriments like most homeowners do.

Start at the top and make a V on the wall then backroll ceiling to floor, floor to ceiling to spread the paint out working into your wet edge.

When Brushing. Just like sex.
Use long strokes

Oh and you can make life easier on your self if you do this.

Paint the ceiling. then the trim. then the walls.
Most people paint the trim last. I dont.
Reason being is when your painting the floor trim its easier and faster  to paint and not get it on the floor and not worry about the walls then it is to try to keep from getting paint on both the walls and the floor at the same time.
then when you cut in the walls you just haveta try to keep it off the trim color and if you do. you can just touch it up
Oh and unless you have a really tight area  to get into. Or your doing some sort of stripes. Throw that roll of blue tape you just bought away.

If you use a good brush, in the time it takes you to tape everything you could have just had it cut in neatly by hand
:D

End of Seminar LOL
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
Re-doing a room.
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2005, 05:07:45 PM »
Originally posted by straffo
I wonder what this post is about especially I wonder what is the purpose of this :

and how it should be used.

dont ya know??

It aint easy being green :lol
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
Re-doing a room.
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2005, 06:24:22 PM »
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
      • http://sbm.boomzoom.org/
Re-doing a room.
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2005, 06:38:04 PM »
'fraid to say it - as it involves Martha Stewart - but Holden's right. My god... what an abomination. I thought you were joking until I realized that you weren't. lol - is this going to be a room for you? Or a room for people you hate?

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
Re-doing a room.
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2005, 06:43:18 PM »
Hey Martha is not that bad of a choice.  She can help with ideas to redecorate your cape cod, colonial, santa fe, and I hear she has some ideas for grey concrete walls as well.
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
      • http://sbm.boomzoom.org/
Re-doing a room.
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2005, 06:52:29 PM »
True :)  Heh.

Listen... because it's very serious business, this whole color selection thing.

There's a reason why psych wards are painted in the colors they are. Banks, prisons,  whatever....

Known as "psychosomatic," the colors of your surroundings have a physical effect on you.

Your color combinations scream The Colors of Grievous Self Mutilation.

Tone 'em down. It's a good thing. :)