Author Topic: hurricane wilma  (Read 386 times)

storch

hurricane wilma
« on: October 23, 2005, 02:30:24 PM »
the storch family wishes the best of luck to the players and citizens of Florida as we button down down for yet another powerful natural event.  In preparation we purchased a new 20kw gen set and we have just completed the electrical panel modifications to be able to accept the generated power.  if power goes out we should be able to maintain all of our creature comforts.  the amount of power required to run an average American home is considerable.  having gone through the planning and installation of the new system has made me pause and be thankful for Florida Power and Light as well as all the other infrastructure providers that make living in the 21st century so wonderfully easy.  all our windows and doors are just about shuttered up so we are ready as we can be.

Offline soda72

• Platinum Member
hurricane wilma
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2005, 05:12:02 PM »
stay safe :(

Offline eddiek

• Silver Member
hurricane wilma
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2005, 05:58:05 PM »
Like soda said, storch, please stay safe.
Sounds like you've got your act together and are more than prepared.
Let us know how things turn out.  I got a friend living in Florida I'm about to make a phone call to to check on her and her family.  Hope she is just half as well prepared as you............

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
hurricane wilma
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2005, 06:09:58 PM »
who cares about wilma?

look at the temperatures from Tuesday on!!!

1st cold front of the year !! Yeah!!
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

storch

hurricane wilma
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2005, 09:16:50 PM »
Originally posted by Eagler
who cares about wilma?

look at the temperatures from Tuesday on!!!

1st cold front of the year !! Yeah!!
 yup looking forward to the king mackarel which will surely be hitting in close.

Offline SuperDud

• Platinum Member
hurricane wilma
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2005, 09:25:26 PM »
On behalf of the BVM, we wish you the best of luck.

Naw seriously Storch, take care.
SuperDud
++Blue Knights++

Offline allmetal

• Nickel Member
hurricane wilma
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2005, 03:34:30 PM »
Storch keep indoors this time eh?no more trips to the lake for pictures in the middle of a hurricane.:O

storch

hurricane wilma
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2005, 03:48:53 PM »
too late done that already but only after the winds dropped below 100 mph.  this was one intense storm. thanks guys for the well wishes they mean a lot.  there are only three houses in the neighborhood with no damage, thankfully ours is one of them.  there are several homes with all the windows and doors blown in/out.  thankfully no fatalities in the neighborhood again but powerlines are down everywhere.  the lake rose about 10 feet and almost made it to our back porch.  I'm glad the kids gave me that honda rincon four wheeler, it's the only mode of transportation until the trees are cleared.  to give you an idea of the intensity of this storm we had a royal palm down by the lake that is now sheared off at ground level as if cut with a chain saw.  I think it may have been hit by a frisbee'n piece of plywood, the cut is just that clean. on guy up the road stores his cars outside, a huge mahogany tree is now reposing serenly upon his bimmer and benz.  just like last hurricane we are providing power to our immediate neighbors from our smaller generators.  at least this time we have AC.  man I'm loving technology.  :aok
« Last Edit: October 24, 2005, 03:51:08 PM by storch »

Offline allmetal

• Nickel Member
hurricane wilma
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2005, 06:48:36 PM »
Originally posted by storch
too late done that already but only after the winds dropped below 100 mph.  this was one intense storm. thanks guys for the well wishes they mean a lot.  there are only three houses in the neighborhood with no damage, thankfully ours is one of them.  there are several homes with all the windows and doors blown in/out.  thankfully no fatalities in the neighborhood again but powerlines are down everywhere.  the lake rose about 10 feet and almost made it to our back porch.  I'm glad the kids gave me that honda rincon four wheeler, it's the only mode of transportation until the trees are cleared.  to give you an idea of the intensity of this storm we had a royal palm down by the lake that is now sheared off at ground level as if cut with a chain saw.  I think it may have been hit by a frisbee'n piece of plywood, the cut is just that clean. on guy up the road stores his cars outside, a huge mahogany tree is now reposing serenly upon his bimmer and benz.  just like last hurricane we are providing power to our immediate neighbors from our smaller generators.  at least this time we have AC.  man I'm loving technology.  :aok

Glad to see your not suffering.......:aok Good thing you weren`t standing near that palm tree your already sawed off enough:p

Offline TheBug

• Platinum Member
hurricane wilma
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2005, 08:13:10 PM »
Now don't think that you didn't contribute to the sins that brought this upon SE coast Storch.  A little shared voltage shall not free your soul from the bonds of hell ;)

The Gods shine on me.

Crown Bug '06 :aok
“It's a big ocean, you don't have to find the enemy if you don't want to."
  -Richard O'Kane