Author Topic: Picked up my tax return from my tax guy  (Read 893 times)

funked

Picked up my tax return from my tax guy
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2001, 11:36:00 PM »
Amen Mietla.  Can you imagine the positive effect on the economy if people were able to hang on to that much of their income, instead of having it sit, interest free, in the government's hands?  If people invested it wisely, they could really do well.  Even if they just put it in a savings account, there is a hell of a lot gained if you add it all up.

And don't get me started on Social Security.  If anybody but the government tried a scheme like Social Security, they would be arrested for fraud...

[This message has been edited by funked (edited 04-11-2001).]

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2001, 11:53:00 PM »
Funny you say that, I really stirred up the local liberal democrat in the office the other day when I told her to imagine the outcry if people had to *MANUALLY write a check each week* to the Feds, Social Security, FICA and such.  But since its automatically taken out, and we never "have" that money to begin with, a lot of people never feel the loss.

And the states are getting stupid too.  Tonight, I heard on the radio that the Maine Senate (or House) is sponsoring a bill to ban elephants at local circuses because "sometimes the animals arent treated right".  Yea, nevermind that full time vet being there.  Just another example of how some media coverage 'Special Report' on an extreme example makes the general public think this is the norm....in this example, apparently the sponsor saw a newsbit on animals being abused and took it upon himself to make sure no one in our state ever sees an elephant.  Phhht...I'd say there's one politician who wont be getting re-elected.  (Found the article...I kid you not... http://www.sunjournal.com/story.asp?slg=041101elephants)

Its all so silly, its enough to make you wonder when people are going to say enough is enough, and wonder why they continue to put up with this kinda crap.

------------------
Paul J. Busiere

Aces High Arena handle:  BD5Pilot
 http://bd5.checksix.net
BD-5 "T" (TurboProp) 90% complete, first flight in 2001 (We hope!)

Offline 1776

• Nickel Member
      • http://Iain'tgotno.com
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2001, 12:22:00 AM »
funked, if you really are getting EIC you really need to think about getting an education or at least a hamberger flippin job.  You are selling yourself for peanuts and being suckered!!  Your income has to be really low to qulify for EIC!!  Just where do ya plug in your puter in your cardboard box under the bridge???

funked

« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2001, 01:05:00 AM »
1776 I am getting an education, in fact I am a teaching assistant at a major university.  That's why I'm getting the EIC, because I don't get paid squat, and just about all my money goes to educational expenses.  My company was bought out in late 1999 and I was one of 900 employees "downsized", so I went back to finish my MS degree.  I probably paid more in taxes for 1998 and 1999 than most people on this forum, and since I had a tiny income in 2000, I have zero guilt about collecting the (quite small) EIC.

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2001, 06:05:00 AM »
I got $20 back.

Except they took that away from me because of some unpaid library fine.

But it's nice of them to give me notice that i was going to get $20 back, except they are gonna take it.

------------------
Von Santa
Staffelkapitän 9./JG 54 "Grünherz"
"If you return from a mission with a victory, but without your Rottenflieger, you have lost your battle."
- D. Hrabak, JG 54 "Grünherz"