Author Topic: New FCC rules - first Amendment down the toilet...  (Read 1705 times)

Offline Staga

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.nohomersclub.com/
New FCC rules - first Amendment down the toilet...
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2001, 11:30:00 AM »
Lets see....

You don't want to let your government to decide if you can have a gun or not but you're willing to let your government to decide what you can hear from radio?

At least guns are involved in more homicides than radio-programs... propably  

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2001, 11:32:00 AM »
Its a good thing too Staga, or you could have radio programs done by wanna-be Goebells (sp) telling folks to take to the streets and burn all jews.  In this country, yes, you do have the right to free speech, you have also (IMO) have an obligation not to *purposely* ABUSE those rights.

Freedom always carries a price, in this country, its rules and regulations set up by a Gov't that is for the people, and by the people.

*Edit.

[This message has been edited by Ripsnort (edited 04-12-2001).]

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2001, 11:59:00 AM »
Ripsnort - criticising the government could be construed as an abuse of freedom of speech, from the stand-point of a sleazy politician. He might take offence at a critique of his policies.

Freedom always carries a price, in this country, its rules and regulations set up by a Gov't that is for the people, and by the people.

Yet gun control, rather inexplicably, does not abide by this principle?

I really can't believe the anti-federal government people among you, don't find this censorship alarming.
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline Fatty

• Gold Member
      • http://www.fatdrunkbastards.com
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2001, 12:09:00 PM »
Welp, I do.  I wasn't too uncomfortable with where the FCC was before, but the idea of them further tightening acceptable broadcasts is troubling.

Offline Daff

• Copper Member
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2001, 12:12:00 PM »
"I really can't believe the anti-federal government people among you, don't find this censorship alarming. "

I can...they dont like Howard Stern, so the ban is ok.

Daff

Offline J_A_B

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2001, 12:36:00 PM »
Of all the times I have ever listened to Howard Stern on the radio, he has never said anything that offended me.  A lot of MUSIC plays a lot more vulgarities than Howard Stern ever says.

We have music that advocates drug use and killing police and various other wanton acts of destruction.  Such music directly promotes illegal acts.  How is any radio program worse than that?

The FCC seems to be picking on certain individuals, not trying to actually do good.  Our freedoms are gradually being reduced.  I only wonder how bad things will get before people start to resist.

J_A_B

Offline fd ski

• Silver Member
      • http://www.northotwing.com/wing/
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2001, 01:00:00 PM »

Originally posted by Ripsnort:

well if it's for the people i'm pretty sure that "the people" doesn't include myself and at least couple million of other people who have no problem with Howard Stern program.

So let's make sure we get this right:

in this country, its rules and regulations set up by a Gov't that is for the corporations and interest groups, and by the minotiry.

Better ?  

<g,d,r>

------------------
Bartlomiej Rajewski
aka. Wing Commander fd-ski
Northolt Wing
1st Polish Fighter Wing
303 (Polish) Squadron "Kosciuszko" RAF
308 (Polish) Squadron "City of Cracow" RAF
315 (Polish) Squadron "City of Deblin" RAF

Turning 109s and 190s into scrap metal since 1998

Northolt Wing Headquarters

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2001, 01:03:00 PM »
[whinning voice]But its for the children![/whinning voice]

Censors, be they from the right or the left, disgust me.

------------------
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

Bring the Spitfire F.MkXIVc to Aces High!!!

Sisu
-Karnak
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Apache

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2001, 01:09:00 PM »
Why so many misinterpret this amendment is beyond me.

Offline Fury

• Copper Member
      • http://n/a
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2001, 01:49:00 PM »
Howard Stern is an ass.  I practice my own form of censorship by not allowing my children to watch his piece of crap show on E!

Since I censor my children, does that make me a bad person?

I supposed if I cared about Howard Stern then I might get riled, but I sure as heck am not going to get riled just for the sake of being riled.  Nobody is getting hurt except Howard, and who really cares about that?  There is censorship every minute of every day in the United States.  You still cannot say the word f*, sh*, etc. on National Television (cable is different).  When is the last time you heard someone mutter those words on Fox, ABC, CBS, NBC, etc?  Why don't they?  Why do they bleep some words on Saturday Night Live reruns?  When is the last time you saw a woman's breast or a man's noodle in full view on CBS?  Or two people makin whoopie in the bedroom?

Censorship is everywhere and already running rampant in the US.  Big deal.

I do have a question tho, for those living ouitside the US, do they use the words f* and s* on your Broadcast Networks?

Fury

[This message has been edited by Fury (edited 04-12-2001).]

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2001, 02:24:00 PM »
Fury, here, it's not unheard of for the Danish equivalent of "it kicks ass" to be used in commercials. And, it's the direct translation.

Then again, our two big tabloidish newspapers also have topless girls on the front page now and then.

No biggie  .

------------------
Von Santa
Staffelkapitän 9./JG 54 "Grünherz"
"If you return from a mission with a victory, but without your Rottenflieger, you have lost your battle."
- D. Hrabak, JG 54 "Grünherz"

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2001, 04:25:00 PM »
Fury, in the UK those words can be used (and very frequently are).

We have a watershed (9 PM) after that time just about anything goes. Except hardcore sex. An erect noodle is considered hardcore and apparently there are rules governing when a noodle is considered erect. Don't ask me how they decide.  

It's censorship of a kind, but not an outright ban. Just recognises that children are still watching TV before 9 PM and people know what they are getting in terms of sex, violence and bad language before and after the watershed.
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline Udie

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2001, 07:10:00 PM »
 Fdski,

Please put the blame where it belongs, and not with us Christians.  The blame goes to the feds.

Here's an idea, let's kill EVERY federal program and burocracy!  They don't belong there anyway, they belong in the states.  The Federal governmen for the most part stinks!  1/2 of it is always trying to take 1/2 of the countries rights away. That's either half, who ever happens to be in power.  

I bet 1/2 of those bastards haven't read the constitution in years.  They sure as hell don't run the country like they have.  To most of them, both parties, the constitution is an obsticle to navigate around.

And yes I agree! the FCC sucks!    But don't forget tipper gore's deal in the 80's.  That was outright censorship!

Udie

TheWobble

« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2001, 08:18:00 PM »
<CENSORED>

[This message has been edited by The FCC (edited 04-12-2001).]

Offline Animal

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2001, 11:39:00 PM »
lol
wait till the FCC catches an episode of...

TV FUNHOUSE

(the most disturbing TV show, ever)