Author Topic: Excellent book about Barbarossa  (Read 237 times)

Offline gatt

• Gold Member
Excellent book about Barbarossa
« on: December 22, 2000, 07:48:00 AM »
War Without Garlands: Operation Barbarossa 1941-42 by Robert Kershaw

When checking his perimeter a few days later the Oberleutnant stumbled across an amazing scene. One of his grenadiers was manning a single foxhole surrounded by 24 dead Russians sprawled all around. He had shot them all with his rifle: "He had remained completely alone at his post during a snowstorm. His relief had not turned up, and despite dysentery and frost biten toes he stayed there a day and night and then another day in the same position".

"Only rarely did I weep. Crying is no way out when you are standing amid those events. When I'm back again with you and able to unwind in tranquility, then we will need to cry a lot and you will be able to understand me. Here, there is no point weeping, even when confronted with the saddest scenes ...a feeling of human pathos and guilt is gradually awakened in everyone. A deep shame develops. Sometimes I am ashamed even to have been loved"

(letter from an infantrymen to his wife)

Excellent book, impressive.
"And one of the finest aircraft I ever flew was the Macchi C.205. Oh, beautiful. And here you had the perfect combination of italian styling and german engineering .... it really was a delight to fly ... and we did tests on it and were most impressed." - Captain Eric Brown