Author Topic: capturing a field  (Read 766 times)

Offline july865

• Zinc Member
      • http://chawks.com
capturing a field
« on: October 28, 2005, 10:47:23 AM »
.........i would like a laymans discription of how to capture a field?
.........i have read the instructions several times. i can understad a few points but need it in a different point of view.
.........myself and 2 other friends are wanting to try to capture a small field. and we are unsure of how to go about it. can it be done with as few as 3 people?? what would the plan consist of??
...thank you in advance..........

Offline SuperDud

• Platinum Member
capturing a field
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2005, 12:16:15 PM »
Yes can be done with 3 ppl. Way I would do it is 2 110's and a goon. Just go into the town and blow up all the buildings. Have the C47(goon) fly in with troops and drop them 1000 feet above town. If you killed every building town and base should be taken. There are other ways to do it but IMO that's the simplest.
SuperDud
++Blue Knights++

Offline LLv34_Snefens

• Nickel Member
      • Lentolaivue 34
capturing a field
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2005, 12:23:27 PM »
In theory it can be done by one person, doing a couple of sorties.

First requirement is that the town of the field is destroyed. Not all fields have towns. This is the case for vehichle fields and ports. Airfields usually have the town located a few miles from the actually base.
Second requirement is that you bring 10 troops (by C47, M3 or the LVT) into the maproom of the field, while all the town buildings are destroyed (the respawn in something like 30-45 minutes). The maproom looks like a green earth bunker and is located at the town, when a such is present, otherwise at the field itself.

That's about it. Now you might want to kill the AA guns of the field since they might be able to kill the troops. Next you can kill the vehicle hangar to prevent defenders using ground vehicles to kill your troops, kill the fighter hangars from preventing enemy fighters upping and killing the troops etc., but all this isn't strictly nessecary, only a good idea, unless you are lucky and noone notice that you are trying to capture the field.

Notice that towns have a few buildings that can't, and needn't be destroyed (large grey hangar like structures), while on the other hand the antennas DO need to be brought down.
Troops entering maproom with part of the town still up will have NO effect.

Hope that makes it clear.
Snefens, Lentolaivue 34.

"Luck beats skill anytime"

Offline JTs

• Nickel Member
capturing a field
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2005, 01:43:30 PM »
and go in under dar and do it quick

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.slowcat.de
capturing a field
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2005, 01:47:21 PM »
Theres only one 'indestructible hangar' per town (the one at the edge, with the road connecting).Technically, this building does not belong to the town, as it is the ending point of the supply road connecting to the town - hence it can neither be nor does it need to be destroyed to capture the field). The other three grey hangar like buildings in town NEED TO BE DOWN.

Also, make sure you double check if all buildings are down (theres one small church wich can be overlooked very easy).

To bring troops you can either use a C47 (bomber) or an M3 (vehicle) carrying ten troopers. If you happen to have a CV close, theres also the option of an LVT-2.

With C47 drop the troops at minimum alt of 800 ft and a max speed of 200 mph. If i drop from the air i usually come in low and pull up straight over town while i drop (makes sure youre slow and high enough and the troops all land fairly close to the maproom). You can also land in town and drop when stopped, but you need to have an undamaged gear for troops to run.

M3/LVT: make sure youre as close as possible to the maproom, stop, open doors and let them run.

To get town down, either use a Lanc (needs some experience) and a 110 to pick up the leftover buildings, or, as Super suggested, two very heavy 110 and a C47/M3.

You can go in offline mode and try to capture fields on your own. Up from a field close to the enemies, flatten town with 110. Dont forget to destroy the two AA guns in the town (thats a neccessity). Bring troops.

For vehicle bases and ports without town: Just destroy all AA guns and drop troops.

In the Main Arena, since youre bound to have defense... practically all bets are off. Youd probably need to get the vehicle hangar down and have at least 2 or 3 fighters that keep uppers in check. Plus the guys working on town and a troop carrier. The more help you can get, the better.
21 is only half the truth.

Offline Lye-El

• Silver Member
capturing a field
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2005, 02:55:34 PM »
Or a couple of Ostis and an M3 in a best case scenario. But usually there is somebody that for some reason doesn't want you to have that base and will fight you for it making it more difficult than it sounds.

i dont got enough perkies as it is and i like upen my lancs to kill 1 dang t 34 or wirble its fun droping 42 bombs

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
capturing a field
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2005, 03:09:21 PM »
Note that in V fields and ports, and on some odd maps with the map room on the field for airfields, you MUST kill all the ack. The active ack will kill the goons. The suft guns (player-usable guns) will instantly kill goons even if no player is in them -- that means you must de-ack a field before gooning it. Towns, on the other hand, have no soft guns. But you must kill the 4 town guns or they will shoot the goons.

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.slowcat.de
capturing a field
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2005, 03:27:52 PM »
Krusty:

As i said, deacking for vehicle bases/ports is a must, same goes for town at airfield. And theres only two AA guns in town.

Soft gun batteries only kill troops if a player uses them, otherwise they stay inactive.
21 is only half the truth.

Offline LLv34_Snefens

• Nickel Member
      • Lentolaivue 34
capturing a field
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2005, 04:52:17 PM »
Originally posted by Krusty
Note that in V fields and ports, and on some odd maps with the map room on the field for airfields, you MUST kill all the ack. The active ack will kill the goons. The suft guns (player-usable guns) will instantly kill goons even if no player is in them -- that means you must de-ack a field before gooning it. Towns, on the other hand, have no soft guns. But you must kill the 4 town guns or they will shoot the goons.

Goon = C47
Drunks = Troops
Snefens, Lentolaivue 34.

"Luck beats skill anytime"

Offline JTs

• Nickel Member
capturing a field
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2005, 05:14:30 PM »
and try not to take one of the bases at furball island or tank town

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
capturing a field
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2005, 07:26:23 AM »
The AH way to capture a base;

1. Make a mission and announce it on channel 2 every 30 seconds in capital letters and with the silly text like 'l33t mishion!'

2. Get 30 guys together, fly below dar but ignore the few flying above it as you can accuse the other team of cheating when they defend the base later.

3. Of the 30 guys attacking the base, 8 will auger after dropping thier ord, 15 will miss completely, and the last 7 will kill the FHs at the field.

4. Circle the field with the 22 guys remaining, asking for ord and help at the field in question.

5. Circle the field some more, losing 10+ guys to ground fire from flaks and M16s but earning a few vulches.

6. Allow a few flaks to enter a town and 'camp' the maproom, this is vital!

7. Lose 6 more guys at the town to the flaks while trying to flaten buildings.

8. Allow the goon to come now, that the enemy has taken off from a rear field with alt. Goon will be downed by a D9 or a La7...

9. Lose 4 more guys to lack of fuel, mostly ditches.

10. Have the remaining individuals land their 1-2 vulches.

11. Use caps on channel 2 asking why you had NO support at the field and how the furballers are 'wasting your resources'.

12. Use caps on channel 200 accusing people of seeing the NOE mission because they were cheating.

---

Just a joke... but strangely familiar.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline GooseAW

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.chawks.com
capturing a field
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2005, 08:39:16 AM »
:rofl

Offline Skilless

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
      • http://www.4remnants.com
capturing a field
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2005, 03:21:56 PM »
Actually not that much of an exageration Delirium.

One person can easily take an undefended vehicle base with just an M3.  Kill the ack from a distance and let the troops go.  Not really much of an acomplishment actually but the perks are sweet.

Offline AutoPilot

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
capturing a field
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2005, 04:47:15 PM »
1.Kill Vehicle Hanger

2.Kill ordnance

3.work the town(until all buildings are down)

4.Drop troops either by M-3 or C-47,if C-47 drop at 800 feet