Author Topic: Greenpeace gets fined for envirnmental damage!  (Read 504 times)

Offline GtoRA2

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Greenpeace gets fined for envirnmental damage!
« on: November 01, 2005, 10:48:06 AM »
The story

What a bunch of tools, it is a shame the old rust bucket didnt sink.

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2005, 10:53:33 AM »
I'm glad they "felt responsible" for it.  It is unlikely they would have given anyone else any slack for using outdated charts, no matter what the reason.

Anyhow, tain' no big thang.  Now, if they had ruptured a fuel tank and had a massive fuel spill, THAT would have been irony worth dining on with a big fork forged from the steel of their resolve and quenched in the tears from children of unemployed whalers.
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Offline GtoRA2

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2005, 11:11:48 AM »
Yeah I do have to admit, that they did the right thing and took responsibility.

Still a bunch of retards though.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2005, 01:16:15 PM »
Originally posted by GtoRA2
Yeah I do have to admit, that they did the right thing and took responsibility.

Still a bunch of retards though.

They took responsibility?  Typical left wingers...always pointing the finger at someone else>>
Greenpeace agreed to pay the fine, but blamed the accident on outdated maps provided by the Philippines government.

"This accident could have been avoided if the chart was accurate," he said, adding, however, that Greenpeace felt "responsible" for the damage.

This accident could have been avoided if they were not dependent on Government...and used sonar equipment to navigate. Dolts.

Offline indy007

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2005, 01:22:34 PM »
Originally posted by Ripsnort
They took responsibility?  Typical left wingers...always pointing the finger at someone else>>

This accident could have been avoided if they were not dependent on Government...and used sonar equipment to navigate. Dolts.

They wouldn't want whales beaching themselves, so no sonar.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2005, 01:23:54 PM »
Originally posted by indy007

Doh! :)  I think thats only black box sonar, aka U.S. Navy that has that sort of sonar. :)

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2005, 02:07:44 PM »
$7000 fine for running aground?

Sounds rather extreme, IMHO.
sand

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2005, 02:35:09 PM »
Not too extreme, considering that the fine structure was probably initiated and supported by greenpeace in the first place.  Those fines punish boat and ship owners who run around in protected reefs, undoing dozens of years of reef growth in an instant.

The fines are probably overkill, but I suspect that they're that high to specifically target the particularly destructive result of negligent boat/ship operation.  If Greenpeace argued against the fine, they'd probably undo a bunch of their own legislative efforts.

It is rather petty to point the finger at the govt for not updating the charts, but they're guilty of the same kind of "crime" they've lobbied against for many years, namely negligent boat/ship operation resulting in environmental damage.
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline GtoRA2

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2005, 03:42:41 PM »
They should have impounded the boat, I bet that crappy old rust bucket leaks all kinds of crap into the water.

Offline Mustaine

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2005, 03:47:05 PM »
Originally posted by GtoRA2
They should have impounded the boat, I bet that crappy old rust bucket leaks all kinds of crap into the water.
let alone how inefficent it's engine probably is.
Genetically engineered in a lab, and raised by wolverines -- ]V[ E G A D E T ]-[
AoM DFC ZLA BMF and a bunch of other acronyms.

Offline ASTAC

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2005, 04:18:29 PM »
Originally posted by Mustaine
let alone how inefficent it's engine probably is.

I think they added masts for sails..like they did one the first Ghey-bow Warrior... until the french did the only thing I can ever agree with them on....

Blew it up!

F-Greenpeace
That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety

Offline Lye-El

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2005, 05:52:21 PM »
Originally posted by indy007

And beach their ship on a protected reef. Would have been funnier if it had sunk.

i dont got enough perkies as it is and i like upen my lancs to kill 1 dang t 34 or wirble its fun droping 42 bombs

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2005, 06:01:07 PM »
Speaking of tools... that event is minor compared to this crap:

Hunt for chemical weapons dumped off NZ
02 November 2005  

New Zealand Government researchers have combed the United States Government national archives for information on chemical weapons dumped off the New Zealand coast, US archivist Tim Nenninger says.

At the end of World War 2, the US Army secretly dumped millions of kilograms of chemical weapons off New Zealand and a dozen other countries.

The dumpings took place as the US was short of space in home-based munitions depots.

US-made weapons litter 30 sites off New Zealand, Australia, New Caledonia, the Philippines, Italy, France, India, Pakistan, Japan, Denmark and Norway, a report by the chemical weapon historical research and response team at the Aberdeen Proving Ground in Maryland, US, said.

The Daily Press of Newport News, Virginia, reported that an August 24, 1944, memo – classified at the time as "restricted" – revealed the US kept stockpiles of chemical weapons in New Zealand during World War 2.

Chemical weapons were also kept in China, the former Soviet Union and unidentified "Latin American countries", one of which was understood to be Panama.

The US Army has said it told the governments of those five unidentified countries in recent years of the dangers lurking off their coasts.

It was asked by those governments not to release the information to the public.

Two years ago, New Zealand Government researchers turned up at the US National Archives, seeking information on chemical weapons ocean dump sites, Mr Nenninger told the newspaper.

The US Army has since admitted secretly dumping at least 29,000 tonnes of chemical warfare agents as well as more than 400,000 mustard gas-filled bombs and rockets off the US coastline.

Much more than was said to have been dumped off the coasts of other countries, the Daily Press reported.

But the US Army is missing years of records on where it secretly dumped surplus chemical weapons from the close of World War 2 until 1970.

In 1983, an Australian fishing trawler snagged a one-tonne steel container of mustard agent dumped off the coast of Cape Moreton in Queensland by the US.

No one was injured.

It happened in relatively shallow water not far from where the US Army admitted it had dumped an estimated 30,000 tonnes of mustard agent and toxic Lewisite in drums, and in hundreds of thousands of chemical-filled artillery shells.

The gas from mustard agent and Lewisite are powerful irritants which cause blisters.

In 2003, the Australian government created an in-depth report on what it calls chemical warfare agent dumps, identifying exact latitudes and longitudes of US and Australian-created chemical weapons dumps. The information was released to the public.

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2005, 06:11:02 PM »
Sounds like a whole new generation of thrill-diving could be born.  Not only are you braving the depths in your scuba gear, but you're swimming around fragile containers full of nerve gas/blistering agents!

I wonder if there's a business plan here somewhere...  some company mines the agents for sale to the commercial defense industry, ala Mace & tear gas manufacturers.
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Offline GtoRA2

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2005, 07:05:11 PM »
Vulcan,
 Thats pretty sucky, but and if the stuff is harmfull even more so, but (and I have no idea on this) wouldnt the water just disipate this stuff when the cases decay?

Of course they does not help a fishing boat that catches one and opens it by mistake though
 :(