Author Topic: Life sentence for self-defense?  (Read 2893 times)

Offline CavemanJ

• Silver Member
Life sentence for self-defense?
« Reply #75 on: August 05, 2000, 12:03:00 AM »
Santa the only one I ever beat the crap out of was the one who accidentily shot me.  And that was more because I was pissed than he shot me than over the safety issue.  Not the right reason, but it felt good to let it all out.  And to his credit, he dinnae fight back, so I dinnae whoop him too bad.  I think he beat himself up enough, partially because the next day he returned that particular firearm.

All the others just get a good, solid, open-handed squeak-slap.  I find that will drive home the most important points faster than all the talking the world.  Especially when they've made the same mistake twice and were told about it the first time.  Guns aren't toys.  I learned the hard way, and when I made the same mistake twice I got slapped hard for it.  I learned the proper respect for firearms early on, and back when it wasn't illegal to actually punish/discipline your kids (but that's a whole different, though related, story).

Offline Revvin

• Silver Member
      • http://www.ch-hangar.com
« Reply #76 on: August 05, 2000, 03:44:00 AM »
Rock> Shooting someone in the back in broad daylight would pretty much be grounds for murder but its not so black and white as you think Rock.

As I said in my post above (sorry you guys did'nt see if while you were squabbling) the house was in total darkness, Tony Martin was an eccentric recluse who did not use the whole house and hardly used any electricity, he fired a warning shot into the darkness and it hit Fred Barras. How would you feel if like Tony Martin you felt the police had deserted you to such an extent that he actually booby-trapepd his home by removing things such as steps on his stairwell to protect himself, how would you feel if the police had all but turned their back on your rural community because it meant a long drive from their cosy police station?

The majority of the population in the UK wholeheartedly support Tony Martin because we are sick and tired of an ineffectual police force using soft target cases like Tony Martin to bolster their conviction records instead of getting out on the street and combating the people who constantly live on the wrong side of a lawful society. I don't know where you live but here in the UK its rare these days to see a police officers out on the street, even in Cardiff where I live which is a medium sized city its rare to see them.

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
« Reply #77 on: August 05, 2000, 08:27:00 AM »
Cave:

I hear ya, man   Was just yanking yer chain  .

------------------
StSanta
JG54 "Grünherz"

Rock

« Reply #78 on: August 05, 2000, 09:16:00 AM »
It's not what I feel. It's what I've read about similar cases in the US.

I don't know all the details of this case, just what's been posted here. From what's posted this one seems to fit the same pattern.

Someone breaks into your store/home. You grab a gun to defend yourself. I mean defend against bodily harm, not defend a TV or VCR.

If the burglar/robber then retreats, you have successfully defended yourself and better stop right there. If not you are committing a new crime much worse than robbery and will probably end up being Buba's new bride.

I'm not sure how the LAW feels about removing steps but, booby-traps are a no-no.
Don't go and tie one end of a string to a door and the other end to a shotgun. Don't go and make a high(deadly) voltage(this will keep his punk bellybutton out) device. Again, you'll probably end up being Buba's favorite HO.

BTW, what does this have to do with gun control anyway. I can easily think of a dozen ways to kill without a gun.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #79 on: August 12, 2000, 10:40:00 AM »

Originally posted by F4UDOA:
Toad,...Your obviously a republican. How to you justify the censorship of TV and the Radio of sexual material?
F4UDOA

I'm sorry, but I just couldn't resist revisiting this thread now that Gore has named his Vice Presidential running mate.

F4, am I now to understand that Lieberman is actually a REPUBLICAN in disguise?    

That's the trouble with generalizations, isn't it?  
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline snafu

• Silver Member
      • http://www.btinternet.com/~snaffers
« Reply #80 on: August 12, 2000, 06:41:00 PM »
As some kind of an update on the original subject....

Apparently one of the families of the thieves, Victims (Call them what you want) are now threatening to sue Tony Martin for "Loss of income"!!!!! (Presumably they are finding it hard to make ends meet since the untimely death of thier thieving little toejam of an offspring and the shortage of ill gotten gains he used to bring home).

I don't support the possesion of guns personally as I think that it is to easy for untrained persons (Children etc) to cause injury or death unintentionally, (Please, it's just an opinion, I don't want to start a flame war with the responsible gun owners out there) but as a victim of both property and car crime I now sleep better at night knowing I have a sword (A relic from an earlier "fencing hobby") within easy reach and be assured that if you are against a wall with it pressing in your chest it's no accident.

Just my 2c worth

TTFN
snafu