Author Topic: Engine effects  (Read 412 times)

Offline g00b

• Nickel Member
Engine effects
« on: November 08, 2005, 05:34:26 PM »
Can we please get some engine effects such as:

Flaming and/or glowing headers and exhaust. This was extremely common effect. Many aircraft were fitted with flame suppresors to reduce the effect.

Smoke when at full military power or WEP'd. Again, an extremely common effect. There are many accounts of engine smoking heavily when under full power.

g00b

Offline KD303

• Copper Member
Engine effects
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2005, 07:35:34 AM »
I think exhaust effects could be useful as well as giving a more realistic "feel".
The following is from Thunderbolt ace, Bob Johnson of 49th FG. He was chasing a 109 which had just attacked some bombers and was diving away. Knowing that he couldn't out-dive a Jug, the German pilot was making plans to get out of the way,he used his P47's excellent roll capability to allow him to turn inside his enemy...
  "Almost at once the stream of exhaust smoke stopped: he had cut his throttle and at the same time pulled his fighter into a tight left turn. The same old mistake! The moment the smoke cut out I chopped power, skidded to my right, back on the stick, and rolled inside his turn, firing steadily in short bursts. The Kraut glanced back to see a skyful of Thunderbolt spitting fire directly at him. I knew he thought I had cut inside of his own turn..." (credit: Allied Fighter Aces - the Air Combat tactics and Techniques of World War II by Mike Spick, 2004, Greenhill Books.)
I'm certainly no ace (infact I'm new to the scene and I'm rubbish :cry ) and I'm not sure how much help it would be in AH but it might add to the excitement of a 1 on 1 combat.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2005, 07:40:04 AM by KD303 »