Author Topic: How do you overclock RAM?  (Read 447 times)

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
How do you overclock RAM?
« on: October 31, 2005, 08:46:48 PM »
I've got an ASUS P5P800 motherboard, which supports 800MHz FSB, but my P4 socketT is only a 533MHz FSB chip, which automatically down-rates my PC3200 from 400MHz to 266/333 in my BIOS setup (defaulting to 333 but allowing 266MHz).

Okay, I KNOW the ram is PC3200. I KNOW it can do 400MHz. Running at lower speed is only going to hurt me right?

So from what I read in the manual and on websites you can change the ram and the cpu independently. However I'm not seeing how to do it in the ASUS bios. It doesn't allow me to overclock the RAM and only gives me the option for a few things.

One option allows 333 or 266 mhz. I have it at 333 (default). I don't have any other CPUs to put in that run at 800MHz FSB to bring up the RAM speed automatically.

What it DOES allow is to edit the timings of the ram. I read a good description of the RAM timings once and remembered the basics of it. However I don't know if this is how you overclock it. Does changing the timing mean you change the speed of the RAM? Or does it just change the timings in the speed the ram is at (whatever that speed may be)?

Thanks in advance.

Offline StarOfAfrica2

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.vf-17.org
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2005, 10:20:18 PM »
I'm pretty sure it depends on the BIOS Krusty.  Mine for example allows me to bump the FSB speed, and lets me set the RAM speed to be set with the FSB, or to be set separately.  If you dont have that option then you probably cant do it.  

I wouldnt go messing with the timings too much, other than reccomended settings.  Thats a good way to get your computer to not boot anymore.

Offline Roscoroo

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.roscoroo.com/
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2005, 10:20:23 PM »
is it good ram or generic ??

Most generic ram wont take to overclocking at all ..  2700 barly runs at 333 ,3200 runs at 333 alot better . it takes good quality ram to run at 400 speed or more .. beleive me ive got tons of blown up cheap ram.
Roscoroo ,
"Of course at Uncle Teds restaurant , you have the option to shoot them yourself"  Ted Nugent
(=Ghosts=Scenariroo's  Patch donation

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2005, 10:23:52 PM »
It's average ram, but it's PC3200 (which is rated at 400MHz). It's just running like PC2700 because my FSB isn't 800 (PC2700 being rated at 333MHz)

Offline Roscoroo

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2005, 11:26:42 PM »
ok the cpu freq mhz ... and the ram timings go hand in hand
My Amd 2500 MBarton as example

cpu freq... 200 mhz   X's     cpu mutiable... 12.0 = 2.4 ghz   (2400) This equals 400 FBS  in an AMD ... now i believe Pents read different  i just dont remember at the moment and i dont have a big pent laying around  to go look in.

Heres your bios as i found on the net ...

notice the cpu freq @ 200

Roscoroo ,
"Of course at Uncle Teds restaurant , you have the option to shoot them yourself"  Ted Nugent

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2005, 11:32:34 PM »
Hrm.... I don't get all those options under my DRAM menu... Shazbot!

Offline Roscoroo

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2005, 11:39:04 PM »
PS ... Always disable QUICK BOOT in the bios when playing with clocking ...
AND OVERCLOCK at YOUR OWN RISK !!!

I learned on old pc's befor i started ocing new stuff ... and its not always good to oc a brand new pc it sort of needs a break in period ...

TEMP monitor program  is a must along with cpuz/wcpuid or  other cpu clock checking program is needed too when ever doing any stuff like this

My old work pc  watercooled on Ice ... This was stable but it cost me 2 sticks of Corsair ram a week later after setting it back to 2.4 ghz.
Roscoroo ,

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2005, 11:43:52 PM »
I have no fear about overclocking in the way I want to. The thing is that I'm just "overclocking" to get to the default level. I automatically "dumbs it down" for 533MHz fsb Intel chips, which is what I have.

Offline Roscoroo

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2005, 11:49:51 PM »
id say keep your Ram on Auto then .. thats what i normally do

the cpu freq  at 200 should have the ram running at its 400 speed i believe .
Roscoroo ,

Offline 38ruk

• Gold Member
      • @pump_upp - best crypto pumps on telegram !
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2005, 04:48:49 PM »
My old work pc watercooled on Ice ... This was stable but it cost me 2 sticks of Corsair ram a week later after setting it back to 2.4 ghz.

Was that a 2500 barton rosco .... if so thats a hellava overclock .  WOW     38

Offline Roscoroo

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2005, 03:50:11 AM »
yea that was a 2500+ Mobile barton .. with my h20 set up drawing from a 1 gal container packed with Ice ... I ran it for a full day that high and it only errored once ,and stayed around  5-10 C  .  it cost me the Ram though a week later . luckily it was warrented  .. tee hee . the cpu is still running fine at 2.4ghz over a year later.
Roscoroo ,

Offline fartwinkle

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2005, 09:48:38 PM »
Get a really good heatsink and fan.
My Asus board has an auto overclocker you can choose 10% 20% 30% and so on.

I am at 10% now taking my 204 800fsb up to 2.759 and 920 fsb runs cool as a cucumber.
Also make darn sure that you video does not get bumped up by accident .

Offline SNO

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2005, 04:24:46 PM »
When using the ai overclocker watch that your memory is not running slower then it was stock speeds. Mine went from 400mhz to 333 I believe using ai.
☩Schnee☩
Jagdgeschwader 11

Das-Beste-kommt-erst-noch

Offline Schutt

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2005, 09:45:01 AM »
Krusty, see if you can switch advanced options on somewhere, maybe autoconfig off.

Also it might be you have a switch that says synchronise fsb or some option that gives a fixed fsb/ram multiplier which should be switched off.

Maybe you can set a divider for ram to fsb.

Sometimes its quite hidden in the bios how to change the clock frequency, might also be you have to back the cpu out of autoset multiplier to be able to acess the ram speed.

EDIT:

checked the asus site for you motherboard, it states ram runs at 333 or 266 when the cpu fsb is 566, guess there is no option to make it faster.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2005, 10:21:49 AM by Schutt »

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2005, 12:54:24 AM »
To quote Homer Simpson, "Crap on a crutch!"

Thanks for the intel, Schutt. I guess I'm stuck at default until I get a 800 fsb cpu (that won't be soon)