Author Topic: Yaaaarggh! %¤&/% frustrating!  (Read 443 times)

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
Yaaaarggh! %¤&/% frustrating!
« on: August 05, 2000, 08:24:00 AM »
There we were. Five JG54 Greenhearts in a bad mood, ready to do some killing. To strike the fear of Random Fluctionations in Space Time into the hearts of the evil enemy. We took off, and we looked mean. Nothing looks plain evil and mean like a flight of three 190's and two 109's, except more of those planes, of course. a6->a29. Cons, lots of them.

In we go, kills starting to rack up. In a matter of minutes, kirin, maik wulfmen and mose have killed off all the enemies. Me, I was on the defensive or outta reach. Oh well.

Extending towards vh to the east to get some alt. Three high enemy inb, JG54 now scattered over map. A little later, as two were downed, another three, all high. These were dealt with, then another three. All high. Now low on alt, we are in big trouble, kirin and me. All three overshoots, two on me on on kirin. Twoo hi dots coming from enemy airfield.

At the deck, 250 IAS. 205 coming in - scissors! 205 overshoots. His pal joins only seconds later. IAS 200, more scissors. Stall horn is screaming for forgiveness for whatever sins it must have committed in a past life. PINGPINGPINGCRACK, wing gone down in a sea of flames I go.

That is so unbelievable frustrating. To fight so hard, only to hae the same guys return with more buddies and then finally kill you s you're out of alternatives and possibilites.

And that is why I like scenarios; two forces up against each other, one big battle, winner gets it all.

No matter your skill level (<S!> kirin and others), you will die if you fly to protect a squad mate or have an ounce of balls and do not run away at the first sign of trouble. All those maneuvers, all those forced overshoots, two great reversals that ended up in having to break off for even more new hi cons.

Sure was fun, but also incredibly frustrating; here I somehow manage to reverse the situation, only to have more inbound. A neverending stream of hi P-47's, porkU's and 190's.

<sigh>

First signs of burnout? I dunno.

------------------
StSanta
JG54 "Grünherz"

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2000, 08:42:00 AM »
Well, that's the MA, isn't it?

In that environment, altitude is definitely life.

A high alt LW opportunist flies in, engages; it's too much fun. Time and bullets fly as the fights descend almost unnoticed. Suddenly, you look around and you're on the deck and you know you're living on borrowed time. Overdrawn at the altitude bank, you try to make a deposit but it's too late. Account closed.  

Life in the MA. Happens to all of us.

Moving the fields farther apart or removing a few of them might help but maybe HTC is trying to keep the fast pace as part of the business plan.

Scenarios are good but there's not always one available when you need a "fix".
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2000, 08:56:00 AM »
Santa.. At last something we can agree on most whole heartedly.

Lordy.. that picture you painted reads like most of our 13th TAS fighter sweeps. The fight gets low; close to the enmey field; we get overwhelemed by numbers; we each perish; refusing to leave our squaddies.

We NEED a HA!!

On the plus side.. it's always a good fight.. the best way to go in the sim.. flying for your buddies. So we don't take it too hard. I keep tellin my buds "If you died a stones throw from your wingie; you did no wrong".

Hang
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2000, 09:29:00 AM »
Thanks Hangtime  

With your permission, I'll use that quote in my .sig file  

------------------
StSanta
JG54 "Grünherz"
"If you died a stones throw from your wingie; you did no wrong". - Hangtime

Offline Dnil

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2000, 10:47:00 AM »
Speed and alt here reign supreme.  Turnfighting might be fun but it gets you killed.  I remember flying in WB and seeing 3 or 4 cons against me and thinking "I can take um!"  not so here.  I think I'll get one, maybe 2 but 2 pings later and I'm dead.  Dunno if its historical or not, its just how it feels to me.  Also one of my greatest joys in WB was bringing home a wounded bird, parts missing, engine running rough but ya bring her home.  Here that rarely happens, planes tend to go "Bloooooey" real quick.  Oh and santa my kills per sortie are down to 4 now  

------------------
Dnil
Maj. 900th Bloody Jaguars
Part time aircraft restorer. www.kingwoodcable.com/jheuer

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2000, 11:49:00 AM »
Ok here's an idea... put ack guns (that will shoot at anything thats airborne) every 1k distance. That will make dogfights stay high *wicked grin*. Think of them as disgruntled redneck farmers and Bansai Sheep.

I do agree that it is sometimes annoying to be jumped by the endless stream of incoming high cons after you burn your E flaming someone. But in MA or HA you will still get people taking off and grabbing alt at different times.

Something that would be cool is if (and this is only if) there is ever a HA with no icons and no dar bars... then the game could have pre-set missions (patrols) with waypoints which could make players take off in flights or squadrons to patrol/attack or do whatever as a group. This could be done and would be enjoyable (aka making sure players bumped into each other) by carefully designing the map and the missions.

Terrain editor... where are you!! ?  

funked

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2000, 12:27:00 PM »
Yep Dnil, blooey guns here kinda make fancy ACM worthless.  No need to saddle up, just fly at enemy and spray wildly.  And it looks like the FM problems are for real.

Santa, JG 54 flew on the Ostfront, so an infinite stream of bandits is actually pretty realistic!    

[This message has been edited by funked (edited 08-05-2000).]

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2000, 05:48:00 PM »
LOL funked

Froim what I've read, they servde on both fronts in all types of german 109 and G10 variants (almost)

------------------
StSanta
JG54 "Grünherz"
"If you died a stones throw from your wingie; you did no wrong". - Hangtime

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2000, 06:20:00 PM »
Okay, Ill shuddup!
Yeager

[This message has been edited by Yeager (edited 08-05-2000).]
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns