Author Topic: Copy Protected CDs  (Read 3003 times)

Offline 715

• Silver Member
Copy Protected CDs
« Reply #60 on: December 21, 2001, 12:33:00 AM »
Going back to the original post regarding RIAA notes on music CD protection, it mentions using them on computers.  I thought that the new copy protected music CDs would not just prevent copying on CDROMS but actually prevent any form of PLAYBACK on CDROMS.  So you can't even listen to music on your computer with these CDs.  Isn't that true?

Offline moose

• Gold Member
      • http://www.ccrhl.com
Copy Protected CDs
« Reply #61 on: December 21, 2001, 02:47:00 AM »

my understanding is that newer hardware should support these cds

however, if you have an old cdplayer or cd drive or anything not probably 2000+, it won't work?

like all things, I'm sure in a month someone will have released a bit of software that can extract the music digitally to mp3.
<----ASSASSINS---->

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Copy Protected CDs
« Reply #62 on: December 21, 2001, 07:22:00 AM »
Moose, so they expect US to upgrade OUR hardware to work with THEIR CDs because they are too damn greedy to let go with a couple hundred bucks?

Geez, last I checked almost all bands made big bucks- atleast the ones in the limelight. CDs produce a very small amount of their income in the first place, it's all in their tours and concerts that the big bucks come in.

I foresee many record companies going bellybutton end up over this, I ain't gonna buy a new CD player and new CD-ROMs to run copy protected CDs because the greedy record companies' wallets aren't fat enough.

Vulcan, do you know where an OFP NO-CD crack is? Send me an email (weissdr1@yahoo.com) if you do, I can't stand the noise of my CD-ROM spinning up everytime I start the game... nor do I want to get this CD damaged.

Thanks!
-SW

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
Copy Protected CDs
« Reply #63 on: December 21, 2001, 07:38:00 AM »
Umm.. fellas..  where am I gonna play audio CD if I must have game CD in the cd-rom, in case I wan't to listen specific music while playing?

Well.. instead, I rather play those tracks as MP3s or just replace game .wav files with own ones (in case game has music files open and not in 12932 megs package)

Or just do it otherway around - have nocd crack for the game and then swap audio CDs as much as I like to.

Though, I hardly have any music MP3, other my very own & very legit 10-200kb audio example MP3s.

[ 12-21-2001: Message edited by: Fishu ]

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Copy Protected CDs
« Reply #64 on: December 21, 2001, 07:41:00 AM »
Fishu, plus MP3s are a pretty big resource hog and will reduce your FPS in some of the newer games that are more processor intensive.

Lucky for me, I have two CD-ROMs, a POS 20$ 50x CD-ROM and another CD-RW. The POS CD-ROM has a cool volume control on the front of it, so I can turn it up or down while it's playing CD music- I usually use this drive for audio CDs when I'm playing a game and use the CD-RW to hold the game CD if it needs it.
-SW

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
Copy Protected CDs
« Reply #65 on: December 21, 2001, 11:38:00 AM »
Answer's easy : Code ugly!  :) ... they might read it, but they'll never understand it (or it'll take a while...)

<heads back to the chained chair at the office>

Saw
(Still alive)
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline moose

• Gold Member
      • http://www.ccrhl.com
Copy Protected CDs
« Reply #66 on: December 21, 2001, 03:25:00 PM »
Yes SW, from what I can figure out the record companies stance is that if your cd player, discman, cd drive, etc etc isn't new enough you can just return the cd, even if it's opened.

I dont give a crap about returning the damn thing. I want to listen to the music.
<----ASSASSINS---->

Offline Boroda

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Copy Protected CDs
« Reply #67 on: December 21, 2001, 06:05:00 PM »
Originally posted by SWulfe:
Geez, last I checked almost all bands made big bucks- atleast the ones in the limelight. CDs produce a very small amount of their income in the first place, it's all in their tours and concerts that the big bucks come in.

It's strange how the situation in the world changes. Back in the 80-s in USSR we had exactly the same situation, with artists giving their "tape albums" for free (noone payed for records they could simply copy to a cassete), only to promote their concerts that gave real money. At the same time in the West artists made concert tours to promote their records  ;)