Author Topic: Job Offer - Help please (and naked pics)  (Read 678 times)

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
Job Offer - Help please (and naked pics)
« on: December 19, 2001, 10:24:00 AM »
I have been offered a job in Northern Indiana (Goshen, near Elkhart or South Bend). I was wondering if any of you are familiar with this part of the country, and your thoughts on the area in general.

I was born and raised in Southern California, but I have lived in the local mountains for a few years and I am familiar with snow. Of course I am also familiar with driving 1 hour to get away from the snow, and going to the beach.

I understand the weather may be colder there than here (jk).

What I am more concerned about is quality of life for children, and the whole family deal. All opinions are welcome. Thanks in advance.

I know I left those naked pics somewhere......

[ 12-19-2001: Message edited by: Tah Gut ]

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2001, 12:18:00 PM »
I was stationed at Grissom AFB in the early '80s for three years. It is about 15 miles north of Kokomo IN. Being raised in Texas I figured anything below 0 was pretty much the same and just very cold. I was WRONG! A few times it got to 30 below with the wind chill dropping it to 90 below zero. Even with a parka suit it hurts to breathe in that kinda weather.

Other than the very cold winters I enjoyed living there. If ya like corn you'll have it made.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2001, 01:31:00 PM »
Tah....what line of work are you in?
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2001, 02:03:00 PM »
baaack hooome in indyaaaanaaa , where the snow plows like to roooam

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2001, 02:05:00 PM »
RV manufacturing bidness. Specifically Quality Engineering stuff and code compliance.

RV = Recreational Vehicles (travel trailers, 5th wheels and motor homes.)

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2001, 02:09:00 PM »
Ahhh....no RVs here...

I was just curious...we are always looking for accountants, so I thought I would ask..thanks..
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline Mighty1

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2001, 06:47:00 AM »
I've only been up there a few times(last time was a couple of months ago) but it seemed like a nice enough place.

It's pretty big and getting bigger every day. The surrounding towns have kinda been smeared together so it's hard to tell where one starts and the other ends.

It can't be to bad with Notre Dame there.

Here is a link to their Vistor Bureau.
 http://www.livethelegends.org/
I have been reborn a new man!

Notice I never said a better man.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2001, 07:37:00 AM »
Er, I always thought a RV was a women that's had a hysterectomy?   :eek:   :D

Offline Dago

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2001, 09:04:00 AM »
I grew up in Northwest Indiana, have a cousin living in that area.  He seems to like it pretty well.   Its far enough away from Gary that it isnt a concern.  I wouldnt mind living there, but thats me.

Weather includes all four seasons.  Summers can get to low 90s, occasionally you may see a few days higher, but not too bad.  Figure temps in the 80s more typical of summer days.
Winter it will be cold, and expect snow.  Not exactly Denver for snow, but you will get maybe 30 inches on average.  It will get cold, averaging in the 20s, with brief periods much colder, down to zero and even below.  Spring and Fall are very nice.

I dont believe crime is a big issue there, I suspect it to be a decent place to live.  Wont be much exciting there though, you should be able to find places to fish if you like to, and hunting too.

Dago
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Offline Kieran

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2001, 10:04:00 AM »
You don't want to be in South Bend, as they do have higher crime there. You could move a bit out of town and be fine, though. The region is pretty flat and featureless, except for all the corn and soybean growing. You'll see snow as you already know.

Basically you are moving into the rural backwater.

Offline pimpjoe

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2001, 01:54:00 PM »
i live a half hour from that area. as kieran said...lots of crime. there is area's in that town the police wont even go into. i recomend moving into a different town near by for the kids to go to school at.

edit: oh yeah...about 2 weeks ago there was some freak that did a shoot-em-up in a factory. sort of like the school shootings that have been going on the past few years except in a factory.

like i said before...go with kierans recomendation...move to a different town and drive to work. much safer for the kids

[ 12-20-2001: Message edited by: pimpjoe ]

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2001, 02:37:00 PM »
Yea, the shootemup was in Goshen, one of those "quiet little towns" and right next door to the place I would be going. Of course I live in the birthplace of not only the Crips and the Bloods, but also the Hells Angels. When you say high crime I gotta believe its all relative.  :rolleyes:

Offline pimpjoe

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2001, 09:19:00 PM »
the town i live in is nice tho. if ya dont mind a half an hour drive to work. its just north of that area. 5 miles inside of the michigan/indiana border. crime rate isnt TOO high here. and the schools are nice.

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2001, 04:07:00 PM »
Thanks all