Author Topic: 190 question  (Read 422 times)

Offline JB39

• Zinc Member
190 question
« on: November 16, 2005, 12:34:14 PM »
I am having trouble aiming with the 190-D9.  I have the convergance set at 375 or 400.   I seem to get most planes in the 800-400 yard range, and being fairly new I usually loose my window of oppertunity after that.  I'm not sure where the rounds are going.  I am using the gunsight.  Anyone care to help me?  Yah, I know the FW is not the best choice, but I like it for some reason.  When I fly the 109, I always seem to compress it.  I know these are notorious for that, and I know about it, but it still happens.  I fly heavy handed.     Thanks

Online mechanic

• Plutonium Member
190 question
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2005, 12:54:38 PM »
heh jon, try using the  '.target ###' command

if you type in  .target 400   into the text buffer a big white target will appear directly north of you at 400 yrds.

if you type   .target 200    etc etc.

.target 0 to erase.

this can helpfull for seeing where your rounds are falling at different ranges.

remembr: if you have your convergence at 400 yrds, then the sight does not aim true at 200 or 600 yrds. remember that your guns dont come out of the gunsight, they are 6ft either side on the wings. therefore at close range you have to compensate.

Alot of real war pilots said they prefered to attack in the 190 by barrel rolling toward their target creating a cone of fire not just a horizontal stream.
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline JB39

• Zinc Member
190 question
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2005, 01:41:08 PM »
Thanks, I'll try that

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.slowcat.de
190 question
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2005, 01:50:11 PM »
What you can also do is go offline practice shooting drones.

Go to SETUP>ENVIROMENT>ARENA SETUP and choose flightmodeflags from the list. Click on change and make sure "lead computed gunsight" is checked (ie enabled). Click on OK. Theres also planeammomult - set that to 1000000 for unlimited ammo. If you want to use those settings often, i recommend you save them. (you can always change back to default if need be).
Enable or disable (depending if the drones are friendly or enemy) friendly lock with CTRL TAB while in flight. then TAB to select/toggle through the targets. Youll get a small green +. Thats the point where you have to aim to hit the cockpit of the enemy. Use that to make your eye familiar with 'gun solution images'.

And i recommend you try to get closer to your targets. For me, anything beyond d400 is a very lucky shot. I realise that with 190 you dont get as close, but id try to go for 300-500.

On the issue of convergence. Convergence is not only applied in the horizontal (ie lines from wings crossing) but also applies for the vertical. That means if you fire at a target farther away than your convergence, the bullets drop *more* than your convergence compensates. You need to aim higher.
21 is only half the truth.

Offline Mustaine

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
190 question
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2005, 02:58:05 PM »
yo 39, former JB dora man here...

bring that convergence in. alot.

i set mine to about 250 for both guns.

also with the 190, if you are closing as fast as you say, you should get to 300 or closer before shooting, then bank out of the collision.

either way, learning to shoot the Dora is different than most planes i flew, a good 60% or more were high speed high deflection shots, where the enemy is below my view anyway. when you can not see the enemy in those fast turns you just have to practice making the shots. it will take time, for some years to do the deflection shot.
Genetically engineered in a lab, and raised by wolverines -- ]V[ E G A D E T ]-[
AoM DFC ZLA BMF and a bunch of other acronyms.