Author Topic: I did  (Read 609 times)

Offline xtyger

• Nickel Member
      • Fred's Humboldt Blog
I did
« on: November 30, 2005, 09:42:40 AM »
Actually, it turned out there was only one place in town that sold joysticks and they only had one, a Saitek. Amazing though it may seem, I can't get the computer to recognize that one, either. Something seems to be wrong in the system where the USB ports aren't working right. I guess I'm stuck until I can get a pro to look at this problem.

Offline Wilbus

• Platinum Member
I did
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2005, 10:44:26 AM »
What stick is it exactly?

I guess it is USB judging from your post.

Do you have any other USB products connected? Any problems with them? Have you tried changing USB ports for the stick (try different ports). Have you looked at Saiteks homepage about the stick, drivers download (some USB products need it to work). FAQ on Saiteks page, often good info to be found about "windows doesn't recognise my joystick".

Let me know.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2005, 10:49:48 AM by Wilbus »
Rasmus "Wilbus" Mattsson

Liberating Livestock since 1998, recently returned from a 5 year Sheep-care training camp.

Offline xtyger

• Nickel Member
      • Fred's Humboldt Blog
Thanks
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2005, 11:12:12 AM »
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll do that.

I've tried all six usb ports. I've tried three seperate joysticks with the same problem. The problem started when I was playing AH and the hat broke off the Thrustmaster I was using. I had an exact identical joystick nearby that I used earlier. I replaced it because the number 2 button would hardly work. Since they were the same, I just unplugged the one with the broken hat and plugged in the older one. Nothing- the computer wouldn't recognize it. Something that never happened before. One of the joysticks was straight usb and one was game port with a usb adapter (strange though it may seem, this Alienware gaming computer doesn't have a game port). Also strange, is that the one with the game port connection works, when plugged into my other computer with the game port, but neither work with USB.

There's definitely at least some connection being made cause when I plug in the Saitek, the blue light on top lights up.

If I try to manually install any of the joysticks I get some error message that my "system isn't properly configured...check the Device Manager...". I can't figure it out but it seems like somethings missing. The instructions for the Saitek say to just plug it in and windows will recognize it but it doesn't. I've got a computer tech guy on the way but he won't be able to make it til the weekend. In the meantime, I'll check that Saitek site and see if there's something I can download. Thanks.

Offline MajWoody

• Gold Member
I did
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2005, 03:16:14 PM »
If it has a blue light on top I'm guessing you have an evo?
Lets keep the stupid to a minimum.
Old Age and Treachery, will overcome youth and skill EVERYTIME

Offline xtyger

• Nickel Member
      • Fred's Humboldt Blog
?
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2005, 04:00:26 PM »
Evo? This one's an ST290 Pro and after looking at it for a while, I like this one. I might use this instead of the one I mail ordered.

Just tried a suggestion someone made about reinstalling drivers for the joystick, even though the instructions say you should just be able to plug it in. I opened up the install program for the drivers. After about the third page of the install procedure it says to "Plug in the controller you want to update". I assume they mean plug in the joystick. I plug in the joystick and nothing happens. The "Next" button never lights up so I can't go any further in installing the drivers. Kinda sucks as I'll probably have to wait until the weekend for the tech guy to come by and check out the problem and, heck, wouldn't surprise me if he won't be able to fix it.

Offline Wilbus

• Platinum Member
I did
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2005, 04:38:35 PM »
If you are using windows 98 try this link.

If not. Unplug the stick. Restart computer then try running the install program again and follow the instructions.

Disconnect the external USB hub (if possible) and use normal USB ports only as far as you can.
Rasmus "Wilbus" Mattsson

Liberating Livestock since 1998, recently returned from a 5 year Sheep-care training camp.

Offline Booz

• Nickel Member
I did
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2005, 04:45:33 PM »
yeah that sounds sucky, I used my Saitek ST290 right out of the box no problem and I love it. Sorry I can't help.

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
I did
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2005, 05:28:36 PM »
Any chance that when that hat went on his old stick that it took out the usb controller on his motherboard?

Offline xtyger

• Nickel Member
      • Fred's Humboldt Blog
Yep
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2005, 08:45:12 PM »
That's what I'm thinking.

Offline Wilbus

• Platinum Member
I did
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2005, 02:11:01 AM »
Originally posted by Ghosth
Any chance that when that hat went on his old stick that it took out the usb controller on his motherboard?

Could be but sounds strange.

Xtyger, do you have any other USB products running at the moment? If not try connecting one if you have one. Could be an easy way to see if Ghosth is right.
Rasmus "Wilbus" Mattsson

Offline xtyger

• Nickel Member
      • Fred's Humboldt Blog
Yes
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2005, 09:07:53 AM »
I have an external CDRW that I've never used on this computer. I actually plugged it in to this machine a day or so after this problem started. Nothing happened but I hadn't installed any of the software. I would have thought I'd at least of seen the cursor change to show it was busy but I didn't see any change at all. Led me to thinking it might be a usb problem. I guess I should try an install it properly to see how well that goes.

Offline Kermit de frog

• Gold Member
      • LGM Films
I did
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2005, 01:08:42 PM »
Try to reinstall the motherboard usb drivers.  

If that doesn't work, you may have fried your usb controller!

Also make sure your windows is updated with all of the service packs.

Go buy some usb ports on a pci card.  You'll get 4 usb 2.0s  That should fix ya right up.
Time's fun when you're having flies.

Offline xtyger

• Nickel Member
      • Fred's Humboldt Blog
Thanks
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2005, 02:59:40 PM »
Great idea about the PCI card. If the guy coming over to look at it this weekend can't fix the problem, I'll try using a PCI card.