Author Topic: vox populi, vox Dei  (Read 1520 times)

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
vox populi, vox Dei
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2005, 04:20:46 PM »
Anything that kills a 190 or a 109, is overmodeled :D
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline wasq

• Silver Member
      • Photos
vox populi, vox Dei
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2005, 04:28:16 PM »
Originally posted by Karnak
I doubt there were many, if any, Spitfire Mk Vb's left in frontline service by 1943.
I have a reliable source that states that the deliveries of Mk. Vb only started in 1943. Of course, that is to the VVS :) so I would believe they didn't scrap all the Spits before they got them.

EDIT: Units using Spit Vb: 7 IAP, 24 KAE, 16 IAP, 67 IAP, 26 GIAP, 57 GIAP, 821 IAP (started using Spit Vb in autumn 1943).
« Last Edit: November 16, 2005, 04:31:49 PM by wasq »

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
vox populi, vox Dei
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2005, 08:44:58 PM »
Originally posted by storch
since i hardly ever touch the horrid little planes I wouldn't know, but if it's a spit it's highly likely to be over modelled.

Storch, you ought to fly the spits. The Vb is a different animal now. the VIII is new. The XVI is new. How will you know their capabilities and how to counter them if you don't fly them for a while?

I don't like spits too much on the priciniple that they're "easy mode" planes. However I've been taking the time to rack up a few kills in the new models to know how better to fight them.

They are not infalible. Took out a XVI in scissors on the deck in a 190a5 today. Might not have known I could do that if I hadn't flown a few sorties in the XVI m'self.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
vox populi, vox Dei
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2005, 10:20:44 PM »
Originally posted by wasq
I have a reliable source that states that the deliveries of Mk. Vb only started in 1943. Of course, that is to the VVS :) so I would believe they didn't scrap all the Spits before they got them.

EDIT: Units using Spit Vb: 7 IAP, 24 KAE, 16 IAP, 67 IAP, 26 GIAP, 57 GIAP, 821 IAP (started using Spit Vb in autumn 1943).

And they got hand me down Spit Vbs too.  Some of the photos of the ones passed on to the Russians show some old war weary vets that have been cleaned up a bit.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

storch

vox populi, vox Dei
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2005, 11:30:53 PM »
Originally posted by Krusty
Storch, you ought to fly the spits. The Vb is a different animal now. the VIII is new. The XVI is new. How will you know their capabilities and how to counter them if you don't fly them for a while?

I don't like spits too much on the priciniple that they're "easy mode" planes. However I've been taking the time to rack up a few kills in the new models to know how better to fight them.

They are not infalible. Took out a XVI in scissors on the deck in a 190a5 today. Might not have known I could do that if I hadn't flown a few sorties in the XVI m'self.
that sounds reasonable enough krusty.  i have flown spits from time to time but the level of ease associated with the spit is really disgusting.  i'd just as soon leave them for the pink bloomer or the egyptian talisman crowd.

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
vox populi, vox Dei
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2005, 08:59:23 AM »
(cough) Ahem. The RCAF were INDEED using Spitfire Vb's and Vc's in Italy. I can even dig for you nay-sayers the squadron numbers, and how many canadian pilots who were lost if I must. Even names.

Vb was there, it's just that as typical Canadians, we were using hand-me-downs from the RAF. :(
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

storch

vox populi, vox Dei
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2005, 09:26:58 AM »
when do you infinitly wise and talented CT staffers forsee the utilization of the new 109s in a set up?  with the mkVIII woobiefire present in this setup the G14 may have been warranted.

Offline Grits

• Platinum Member
vox populi, vox Dei
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2005, 12:14:07 PM »
G-14 is a later than '43 plane isnt it?

storch

vox populi, vox Dei
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2005, 12:16:00 PM »
yes that is indeed true.  never the less what will offer the woobieVIII a reasonable challenge?

Offline Grits

• Platinum Member
vox populi, vox Dei
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2005, 12:25:49 PM »
109G-2 can handle it, 109F and the 205 can too to a lesser degree.

storch

vox populi, vox Dei
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2005, 01:13:35 PM »
I disagree with that statement grits.  the 109G2 is marginally faster that the spitVIII.  the 109G2 cannot outclimb the spitVIII or out turn it or out shoot it.  The 205 and the 109F are completely outclassed.  so if the topic is machine vs machine then this will be a poorly contested week.  That's not saying that a skilled player in a 109 of any flavor couldn't pervail over a less skilled player in a spitVIII, what I'm saying is if the players are equally matched the spitVIII would win every time and that makes for a generally empty arena.  for what it's worth.

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
vox populi, vox Dei
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2005, 01:22:21 PM »
I disagree with that statement grits.  the 109G2 is marginally faster that the spitVIII.  the 109G2 cannot outclimb the spitVIII or out turn it or out shoot it.  The 205 and the 109F are completely outclassed.  so if the topic is machine vs machine then this will be a poorly contested week.  That's not saying that a skilled player in a 109 of any flavor couldn't pervail over a less skilled player in a spitVIII, what I'm saying is if the players are equally matched the spitVIII would win every time and that makes for a generally empty arena.  for what it's worth.

Just hit them as soon as their gear comes up and it will make no difference what they are in :aok
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

storch

vox populi, vox Dei
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2005, 03:43:01 PM »
Originally posted by dedalos
Just hit them as soon as their gear comes up and it will make no difference what they are in :aok
well that's one technique.  :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl

Offline Grits

• Platinum Member
vox populi, vox Dei
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2005, 05:43:56 PM »

This would be a good week for some JG54 "teamwork" wouldnt it?

storch

vox populi, vox Dei
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2005, 05:56:38 PM »
or bvss "alternative lifestyle" flying.