Author Topic: Pullin' The Plug  (Read 3351 times)

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Pullin' The Plug
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2000, 04:07:00 PM »
The problem that I have with the death penalty is not that it kills people, but rather that if you are poor or a member of a minority it is much more likely to be inflicted on you.  The single biggest determining factor in whether the death penalty is asked for is the race of the victim.  It should not be.  If you are poor, you are far less likely to be offered a plea bargain.

In many states the public defender receives less than one days worth of investigation costs.  The public defender may have no experience with criminal law, let alone capital law.  In some cases the public defender has been known to sleep through most of the trial (George W. Bush said the defendant received a fair trial) or work on their normal cases.

For me to be comfortable with the process it would have to become much more egalitarian.

PS.  On a side note, many pro-death penalty people talk about how we either put them to death or they are paroled in 15 years.  If somebody can have the death penalty applied then the only other option is life in prison without the possiblity of parole (at least that is what we have in California).  If somebody is sentenced to life in prison without the possiblity of parole they can NEVER be paroled.  Life in prison is distinctly different than life in prison without the possiblity of parole.

Sisu
-Karnak
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline RAM

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
Pullin' The Plug
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2000, 04:23:00 PM »

Originally posted by Ripsnort:
Show me one case in the last 50 years where this is true..(Clue, there isn't one!)

As I said only 6 months and 100 million Pesetas won the life of an innocent that has lived 4 years with a death penalty on him.

If there is no money you cant proof your innocence, and so you'll never know if an executed guy was REALLY innocent or not.

I am quite sure there have been many executed people who were innocent in last 150 years...

that they could proof their innocence...that is another thing.

Offline wolf37

• Copper Member
Pullin' The Plug
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2000, 04:47:00 PM »
hi all:

to start with i did not read all of these. this reply is for leonid.

you are right, if some low down piece of gutter slugde rapes and kills a 10 year old girl, the courts should not decide this poor slugs fate, he must have had a bad childhood and should be forgiven, and then let the 10 year old's father beat the piece of toejam to death with a lead pipe or baseball bat. then justice will have been served.

------------------
wolf37
C.O.
THUNDER BIRDS

Offline RAM

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
Pullin' The Plug
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2000, 05:16:00 PM »

Originally posted by AKFokerFoder+:

You Europeans turn your IRA and other bombers back loose on the streets.  Do you smile when you here that?

Okay, Mister, you earned a loooong post from me...so go and grab a cold beer and start reading...

I am Basque. I live in Basque country, Northern Spain. I feel myself as Basque. I feel mysef as Spanish.

But there is some people who doesnt feel spanish, and that is quite a number of people (maybe rounding 40-45%). Basque country has a long past independent...it is said that the basque people was here even before the arrival of the Celts and the Iberics...and that is a long long time.

I'll make this part of the story a  short one...historically this feeling of independence, or authonomy, has leaded to a lot of problems for the people here. But more or less things went OK until XIX century, when succesion problems leaded to Carlist wars...the Basque people always was alligned with the wrong side (the aspirant to the throne Charles)...and so we payed the bill of the losers. We lost all authonomy. But still our culture, our language (Euzkera, a millenary language of still unknown procedence), our way of life was respected.

In XX century, 1931 in Spain was declared the II republic. In that time Catalonia and the Basque country (the 2 zones with more independentism within them) won a level of autodetermination never reached before...so when the Civil war started in 1936 with a spanish nationalist alliance of generals like Franco and Mola at the head of it, there was no doubt of the side both zones would allign with...Republican.

Republicans lost Civil War. And with it, Basque country and Catalonia lost their last remnants of authonomy. So here in Basque country (and in Catalonia too) our language was forbidden, our culture restricted, anything that resembled the Basque country as something different of Spain was banned...and was seriously dangerous to be owner of something that had any significance in that way.

Republican soldiers payed a high price...some went to concentration camps, some were to forced work (if you visit the "valle de los caidos" near Madrid you'll see a Pharaonic work...pharaonic on the side that it meant the blood of thousands of ex-republican soldiers to build that)...

And some had no way to find a decent work...my grandparent, by example. And if someone dared to raise the head and shout that it was a shame for everyone what was happenning there, the unlucky one who did it was shot, hit until death...or simply dissapeared...like my grandpa.

So much oppresion lead to some secret organizations here in Basque country...there were some of them but the most important one was called E.T.A. wich stands for Euzkadi Ta Askatasuna...literally Euskadi and Freedom (Euskadi is the name of our land in Euzkera).

At first it was only an idealistic formation,like many others...but then it started to do radical things...kidnapping was first (kidnapping is here a much lesser crime in US, BTW), then they started with some assasinations...

Until 1973. Franco was on his last breaths (he lasted until 1975, but he was a mummy)...he had made his succesor to the then Prince of Asturias, Juan Carlos, the current king of spain...but he had designed too the man who would make sure that the dictatorship way of government would go ahead...the Admirald Carrero Blanco.

ETA killed him (making Democracy a BIG Favour) in a very spectacular way. A bomb under the car that when blew up, make the 1800kg armoured car where he was go up to more than 25meters in vertical.

That made ETA the most famous independentist terrorist group in Spain (there were others ,but ETA was the most famous). in 1975, few days before the death of franco the last death penalties were made in Burgos. 5 members of ETA were killed.

After Franco, King Juan Carlos I with no Carrero Blanco behind him, started the transition to the democracy. Many parties were raised in this time, from the Communist Party to HB (Herri Batasuna----->people together) HB is what Jerry Adams' party is for the IRA, the politic branch of a terrorist group.

Still this terrorist group was doing quite restricted things, assasinations,and so. In Europe HB was seen as a "romantic" independence party...until 1987 and Hipercor.

In 1987 ETA put a bomb car in the parking of the Hipercor Market, in Catalonia. more than 30 people died there, women, kids and men. All parties condemned the action...

HB lamented it. Never condemned.

Then a race of terror started. Bombs on particular cars of people involved in projects that ETA didnt like...

bombs on the center of cities aimed to policemen, Military men...ever schools...

Coward attacks with guns firing to the head of people taking their breakfast, people whose only "crime" was to say that ETA was bad...or people who rejected to pay the "revolutionary tax", chantage to working people to pay 50% or more of their income to ETA so they could finance their actions...if they didnt pay they died...

you know wich are the grounds of ETA to do all this things?...

"the Spanish State oppreses Basque people...remember Burgos...remember Lasa and Zabala (two ETA members who were horrendously tortured before being assasinated by a police group)...remember..."

That was their grounds to make all this...people here in Basque country were all frightened by those assasins, here if you go on a street and say bad things about ETA you may be heard...and the next thing you find are 5 young ETA followers who are hitting you so bad that you go direct to the hospital...

if they dont kill you before...

if they dont throw a Molotov Coctel to you...

If they dont...

They even put a bomb car on the way of the then leader of the opposition in Spain, Jose Maria Aznar (our current president)...starting the next "offensive"

it started 3 years ago, when in San Sebastian they killed a PP member, Gregorio Ordoñez...for the reason that he was of a "spanish politic Party"...

but the worse was to come...

in summer 2 years ago , Miguel Angel Blanco, a PP member of Ermua council was kidnapped. An ultimatum followed saying that if in 48 hours the government (yet of PP) didnt make all of their points they would shot the guy...a 27 year old man who was part of the council of a little town...

The reaction was inmense. In Bilbao more than half a million people (in a city with an estimated 350.000 people on it and surroundings...the hole Basque country has one 1.200.000 people) lead by the President of the nation, and all the leaders of the important parties, went out to the street asking for the freedom and the life of an innocent man...thing that never happened in a frightened place as our land used to be...

In Madrid happened the same...

And so in Barcelona...

Valencia, Santander, Sevilla...all citiessaw literally millions of people on the street asking for his life.

After the 48 hours passed, they carried the guy to a forest and, immobilized ,they shot him twice on the head.

The rage here was inmense, and in my land changed all...now we arent frightened anymore...well at least not that much as we had before...for a while seemed that we all would stay together and make ETA stop...

Seemed it even more when past year they declared a unilateral temporal peace...but they used it not to start talks of peace...but to reorganize themselves...

From november until now this has been a nightmare...starting with politicians of PP and PSOE (both major parties in spain) ded by bombs on their cars or shot on the neck in the middle of the streets by coward people with masks to hidden their faces...

When the press said that ETA is a cancer they started shooting the periodists, too...so far 2 have died last months because they told the truth...

Last week when 4 ETA members were driving a bomb car to a place where they were going to blew it up killing still more pleople, the car blew with them inside...

as result next 3 days they put 2 bomb cars and killed another innocent man by a shot on the head...

They launch Molotov Cocktels to the business of council people of all councils in Basque country, they kill people, they are the worse cowardest scum in Europe...they are a n(true) Nazi group between us...

and they base their actions on the "opression" of the Spanish government...

You want to KNOW WHAT WILL HAPPEN IF HERE WAS A DEATH PENALTY,DAMNIT, SIR?!

That they'd have a point. They'd have martirs, they'd have ICONS TO ADORE...DAMNIT THE FOUR ASSASINS KILLED WHEN THEY DROVE A BOMB CAR THAT BLEWED UP BEFORE REACHING THEIR TARGET ARE SAID TO BE "LOYAL PATRIOTS" "HEROES AGAINST THE REPRESSION", "MARTIRS OF THE BASQUE CAUSE"

All this has been said by the leader of the current HB, Arnaldo Otegi...can you IMAGINE what would he SAY if there were people killed by DEATH PENALTIES, SIR!?

AKFokerfoder, take this advice from a unexperienced 22 year old guy...never NEVER mess in such complicated things as terrorist groups in Europe...NEVER, because you have NO IDEA of what are you talking about, SIR!

In USA ETA is known as an "independist group"...that says it all about your "knowledge" on the matter, SIR! to call an independist group a FU****G TERRORIST GROUP is quite a signal of ALL you know.

AND BTW IF I DONT RECALL BAD 80% OF THE INCOME OF THE IRA CAME FROM UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, SIR!

So clean YOUR HOUSE before entering the others' SIR!

[/rant off]
Sorry the rant. We are all really raged with the current situation here and now I have to listen to crap as this:

Originally posted by AKFokerFoder+:

You Europeans turn your IRA and other bombers back loose on the streets.  Do you smile when you here that?

[This message has been edited by RAM (edited 08-11-2000).]

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Pullin' The Plug
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2000, 06:19:00 PM »
Hopefully some Americans will read what you wrote RAM.  Read it and realize that the Basque situation and Northern Ireland situation is not nearly so simple as portrayed in the US.  There is no simple solution to any problem that is centuries deep in hatred and fear.  Playing hardball merely exacerbates a bad situation and causes more violence.  The British and Irish are doing the best they can to try for a new beginning and to reduce the hatred and mistrust.

Hopefully something happens to help turn the situation around where you are RAM.

Sisu
-Karnak
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Fariz

• Silver Member
      • http://9giap.warriormage.com
Pullin' The Plug
« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2000, 07:31:00 PM »
That is totally strange, I am not cristian, and I do not believe in any gods and I shall remind them about mercy. How ironic! I am more than sure than lot of those people who want to hang other people in the squires are good cristians and attent the church every Sunday.

"History teaches us that it does teach us nothing".

Hate can not be beaten with hate. That is like snake which bites its own tail -- you can not break this circle so easily.

Death penalties may reduce number of crimes (slightly), but harshness of crimes INCREASE very high. It is a proven fact, you can go to the nearest shop, buy the book on criminalistic and you will find it there. When people knows that they risk high penalties they tend to kill witnesses. When in the Soviet Union it was the death penalty for a rapists number of killed victims TRIPLED. Every time you vote for death penalties you in fact take blame in those extra kills.

I saw 2 wars, I saw when people killed each other only because they were of different nationalities and believed in different gods. I saw pogroms and tanks in the streets of my city firering on defencless civilians. I saw more atrocities in my short live than 99% of you will ever see, and I know that hate lead only to hate.

Fariz

Offline leonid

• Copper Member
Pullin' The Plug
« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2000, 09:07:00 PM »
Fariz,

Wise words  

[This message has been edited by leonid (edited 08-12-2000).]
ingame: Raz

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
Pullin' The Plug
« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2000, 10:06:00 PM »
Fariz,

Make the death penalty apply when someone is killed and your argument doesn't hold water.  Make it apply to lesser crimes and it does.

I'm not a big fan of the death penalty.  I believe we need it, but in a highly modified format.  As it stands right now, the District Attourny is prone to use a death-penalty conviction as a stepping stone in his carrear.  I believe that if any person executed after being convicted of murder is later to be found innocent... the DA should be tried for murder.  Make the conviction count as a conviction.. not as a career builder.

AKDejaVu

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Pullin' The Plug
« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2000, 01:26:00 AM »
AKDejaVu,
And tried for Attempted Murder if the individual is found to be innocent before being put to death (this would be different than having the case overturned on appeal, which is just a reasonable doubt).  If law enforcement officers gave false information to the DA that s/he then based the case on, they should be tried instead.

In other words, the DA had better be D**M sure the guy did it before he asks for the death penalty.

Sisu
-Karnak
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

funked

Pullin' The Plug
« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2000, 03:49:00 AM »
Let's see, since the death penalty was brought back in Illinois, we have had 12 people executed... and 12 people freed from death row who were falsely convicted.  Nice batting average.  Sorry, that's one power our screwed up government should not be trusted with.

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
Pullin' The Plug
« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2000, 03:54:00 AM »
funked:

Interesting way of seeing it. It would seem, at least to the untrained casual obsrver, that the same people who distrust the government in terms of their intentions with guns ought to distust the government in terms of administering punishment.

I.e the logical conclusion would be for right wing people that the dp might be good, but not with the government as it has been all these years  .

B

------------------
StSanta
JG54 "Grünherz"
"If you died a stones throw from your wingie; you did no wrong". - Hangtime

funked

Pullin' The Plug
« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2000, 03:58:00 AM »
"It would seem, at least to the untrained casual obsrver, that the same people who distrust the government in terms of their intentions with guns ought to distust the government in terms of administering punishment."

That's me.  There's also that "Thou Shalt Not Kill" thing...

[This message has been edited by funked (edited 08-12-2000).]

Offline Zigrat

• Nickel Member
Pullin' The Plug
« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2000, 04:01:00 AM »
I just watched "the hurricane", if everything in tha movie is true, what if he had been executed? That would suck. People are sometimes wrong. BUT i have a cool idea.

OK with all the reality shows on TV:

we make the show PRISONER
We put protected cameras all over a island in the pacific full of sharks and stuff around it. Then we throw all the rapists and murderes etcera on the island and let them have at it, and televise it. Itll be like survivor but for real. With ad revenue we could cut taxes too! We could keep some people in boats around the island with the money gained through ads to makesure noone got ingenious and made a raft or something.

Offline Naso

• Silver Member
      • http://www.4stormo.it
Pullin' The Plug
« Reply #43 on: August 12, 2000, 06:13:00 AM »
Zigrat, sort of "Truman show"??

You must be joking.  

Why not somethink my ancestors use to do??

A big arena, a Stadium, give them blades and other weapons, then let the strong survive, "Ave caesar, morituri te salutant".

That one will have the life imprisonment.

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
Pullin' The Plug
« Reply #44 on: August 12, 2000, 09:14:00 AM »
Heheheheh

You guys are crude, violent and sadistic.

How can I *not* like you?  

------------------
StSanta
JG54 "Grünherz"
"If you died a stones throw from your wingie; you did no wrong". - Hangtime