Author Topic: Has anyone seen Lord of The Rings?  (Read 2303 times)

Offline batdog

• Silver Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com/
Has anyone seen Lord of The Rings?
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2001, 11:33:00 PM »
Guys my wife and myself went to see the movie friday and it was AWESOME. I swear I almost teared up seeing something that I held close to me growing up... yea thats wierd but I was a lonely messed up kid and Tolkien did more for me than most, lol.

Once again..friggen awesome... thank god somebody did it right when it was done.  :)

xBAT
Of course, I only see what he posts here and what he does in the MA.  I know virtually nothing about the man.  I think its important for people to realize that we don't really know squat about each other.... definately not enough to use words like "hate".

AKDejaVu

Offline Sundog

• Silver Member
« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2001, 12:08:00 AM »
Yeah,
I have to agree. I am usually a complete skeptic when it comes to making a movie into a book. However, I was really shocked at how faithful to the books LOTR: FOTR is. I mean, much of it was even how I 'imagined' it when I read it; chalk that up to Tolkiens excellent visualizations/descriptions. Not to mention, you don't realize the movie is that long while you are watching it.

My favorite part, would have to be the Balrog. I always remember that from the book and it was just like, 'Damn, now THAT'S one mean mutha!'

How many days until the DVD is released?  :D

Offline Leslie

• Gold Member
« Reply #32 on: December 24, 2001, 12:45:00 AM »
Went and saw it tonight.  It is an exceptional movie, and had an "Excalibur" atmosphere to it.  Special effects are cutting edge, and are so well done as they don't overpower the story.  Plenty of non stop action from start to finish.  It's one of the best movies I've seen in a long time.

My only complaint with the movie, is the sound cut out during the last two minutes of the film, leaving everyone in the audience in the dark as to what Frodo said to Sam at the ending.  But don't ruin it for those who haven't seen it...I can wait 'til it comes out on cable to find out.  Or if one of you guys would send a private message letting me know what Frodo said to Sam at the ending, I would sure appreciate it.  

Thank you and have a Merry Christmas!!!

Les
SCLeslie
aka SCBama  :)

Offline mrsid2

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #33 on: December 24, 2001, 05:39:00 AM »
I haven't read LOTR but the world has become familiar to me from games like moria.

I never before realized that the world of moria is taken directly from LOTR caves.. Personally I never got deep enough to meet Balrog though, just read inscriptions of it on the walls..  :)

I went to see the movie yesterday and I have to say Peter Jackson outdid himself. I never imagined he would have the means to produce a movie of this level, having started from making his first movie on his freetime after work just a few years ago.

Btw did you snatch P.Jacksons cameo appearance in the movie? He was the fat drunk the halflings saw when they first entered the city on thier journey to meet Gandalf.

Offline Jack55

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
« Reply #34 on: December 24, 2001, 09:16:00 AM »
I guess I'm the only one who didn't like the movie. Having never read the book might have something to do with this.  After they got out of the caves, I almost went to sleep.  The ending left me feeling cheated.

Offline Sikboy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: December 24, 2001, 09:34:00 AM »
For what it's worth, I thought that they might have trouble selling the ending to people who haven't read the books. In my opinion, the Fellowship was the least enjoyable book of the series. In effect, it is simply a primer for the rest of the story: You learn some background, and you learn who the Charactors are. Now that you have some of the background, you can move on to the next movie. Please give "The Two Towers" a try next year, and You should feel better about the series.

-SikBoy
You: Blah Blah Blah
Me: Meh, whatever.

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: December 24, 2001, 07:01:00 PM »
Ok, I'm one of those "read it 12 times and can spot any differences" geeks. I liked the movie, and I am very excited about the next installment.

One thing bothered me a little:

Why was Saruman portrayed as a willing slave to Sauron? In the book he is aiding Sauron unknowingly and (in his mind) trying to become the weilder of the One Ring. This seems to be doable in the script without too much trouble.

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: December 24, 2001, 08:12:00 PM »
<grin> did I ever tell you guys Peter Jackson used to come into the Computer Shop I worked in years ago when Amigas were in and doing stuff like Bab5? He used to always check them out for animation effects.

Offline batdog

• Silver Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com/
« Reply #38 on: December 24, 2001, 09:02:00 PM »
Actualy I think he was corrupted due to his use of that Stone left over from the Numenor ie Kings of Men age. Sauron has one in his Black Tower in Mordor and Saruman became overawed by Saurons power. He intends to take the ring for himself... but he has allied w/the forces of Mordor. Thats why in the 2nd book 2 groups of Orcs come togather. One is from Mordor the other are forces of the White Hand ie Saramon.

xBAT
Of course, I only see what he posts here and what he does in the MA.  I know virtually nothing about the man.  I think its important for people to realize that we don't really know squat about each other.... definately not enough to use words like "hate".

AKDejaVu

Offline Kratzer

• Gold Member
      • http://www.luftjagerkorps.com/
« Reply #39 on: December 25, 2001, 12:44:00 AM »
Originally posted by Tah Gut:

Why was Saruman portrayed as a willing slave to Sauron? In the book he is aiding Sauron unknowingly and (in his mind) trying to become the weilder of the One Ring. This seems to be doable in the script without too much trouble.

I didn't think this was the case at all - Saruman made the Uruk-Hai so that he could capture the ring for himself, and I thought the movie made this pretty clear.  I think that he only played the servant of Sauron to try and sway Gandalf to his side, and of course, to have it work out well for him with Sauron, even if he didn't get the ring.

I went today, and I completely loved it, by the way.  I wanted to get back in line to go see it again right when it was over.  They obviously had to change some things, but I think that they did so without tarnishing the story, and it was just wonderfully well done overall.

Offline texace

• Silver Member
      • http://www.usmc.mil
« Reply #40 on: December 25, 2001, 12:12:00 PM »
Being in a house where reading is king, I have been able to read all 3 LOTR books, and I am wanting to see the movie. Of course, I don't care if it follows the story to the letter or not (heard it takes a lot from the 2nd book) I just want to see it.  :D

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #41 on: December 25, 2001, 05:45:00 PM »
I for one am not ashamed to admit I wept openly at the sight of the last homely house and Frodo meeting Bilbo. Don't know why, much of the movie looks so much like I pictured it. Yes shortend for time in a few places, but faithfull to the spirt.

One very pleased happy hobbit here.

Ghosth

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #42 on: December 29, 2001, 11:24:00 AM »
Saw it yesterday with my son. We've both read the books. He recently and I more than 20 years ago. Couldn't remember much from the books until the movie, then the memories flooded in.

Both enjoyed it a lot.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
« Reply #43 on: December 29, 2001, 03:41:00 PM »
It has been some 15 years since I read those vbooks, but yes, I didn't feel the 3 hours and it was verry close to what I remembered.

A Must see!
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline Tyro48

• Copper Member
« Reply #44 on: December 30, 2001, 02:08:00 AM »
Here's hoping National Lampoon does Bored of the Rings after all 3 films come out, that would be a scream!  :D