Author Topic: Twitchy rudder!! need help =)  (Read 742 times)

Offline FalseHope

• Zinc Member
Twitchy rudder!! need help =)
« on: November 16, 2005, 07:12:10 AM »
ok.. i recently upgraded from a old, tried and true Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback (no... not a sidewinder 2.. i still have one of the origional series ones =) )  And got a Saitek x45 Joystick/trottle combo.

now, everything about the joystick works perfectly just about.. except im  haveing issues with the rudder controle.  When i try to fly with this thing, just the ever so slightest twitch on the rudder paddles that are part of the throttle link wants to try to make my plane do a 360 flatspin, even when trying to taxi on the runway.  :O

Anyone familiar with the options for either the stick or AH2 have any tips, or even a walk-threw of sorts on how i can make this part of the controle less sencitive?

Offline Panzzer

• Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2005, 07:26:58 AM »
Hmm... Let's start with the basic stuff, did you calibrate the rudder in joystick calibration (both in Windows and in AH)? And then you might want to adjust the dead band and dampening settings and stick scaling in AH... Here is a thread you might want to look into.
Panzzer - Lentorykmentti 3

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2005, 07:27:24 AM »
In Aces High, esc to pull up clipboard, setup, controls, joystick, settings.

If pitch & roll are ok leave them be for now.

Upper left hand corner is a scroll bar, change to rudder.

First check out the deadband. Deadband sets where the input starts. If your rudder is very sensitive in the middle this may be one way to tone it down a bit. Raise the slider say half an inch, then try it.

Better? Good enough? or need more?

Damping reduces input overall, if rudder is still twitchy try raising damping. No more than 1/4 of the total possible.

OK now? Still touchy?

Sliders.

The sliders on the left are a visual representation of a control input sliced into 10 pieces. Slider at the bottom = no input at all. Slider at the top = Max possible input.

You may want to lower these if your rudder is still very sensitive.

You still want to end up with the last slider all the way to the top.
But instead of the default stairstep, put in a very slow gradual climb
So the first 5 or 6 sliders would barely inch up, about 60 or 70 you'll need to step up in BIG steps to reach the top at 90.

How is it now?

Hopefully one or all of these will have tamed your monster.
Let me know if you have questions, problems or need assistance.

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2005, 09:55:28 AM »
Solid advice from both Panzzer and Ghosth.

Specific to the X45 rocker switch, bring up the clipboard >SETUP>CONTROLS>JOYSTICK>SETTINGS

Look at the 2nd box down on the right - you should see a green hash mark centered at the top. Apply your rocker left and the hash mark should slide evenly to the upper left corner. Do the same with right rocker input. If you're seeing hash mark movement you only need to tweak the rudder scaling input as per Ghosth's advice.

If you're seeing no movement, goto the SELECT JOYSTICK. In the upper left window panel click your mouse on rudder. That should darken SAITEKX45 in the center window and Z ROTATION in the right window. If that isn't the case, click on all three of those, then SET INPUT>APPLY>OK

If all that STILL doesn't work, go to AH offline, climb into a plane, use the F3 outside view and look at your rudder as your applying input via the rocker. Does it seem ok?

Let us know if none of that works for you....we'll go back and put our thinking caps back on :aok

Offline Ohio43

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2005, 10:31:45 AM »
Have the same prob with my X-45.  Never did get the rudder to smooth out.  Good luck.

Offline FalseHope

• Zinc Member
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2005, 06:53:31 AM »
yay! setting the multi-sliders (which im guessing is the travel-lenth between incriments) fixed it.  Not perfect, but enough for me to atelast not be a stunt-devil while flying.

one more question i have, and i found this out when i tried to use teh ground vehicals.  is there any way to make the Trotle i use for my planes work for the ground vehicals instead of constantly haveing to push forward on my stick? (in otherwords instead of the y-axis of my stick being the throttle/break can i make my actual throttle controle my throttle? and set a key for break =)

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2005, 05:17:27 PM »
Nope, GV's push stick forward to go forward.

Will get fixed someday.

Best solution, push & hold stick, get to max speed, then jump to gunners spot on top. It will hold speed & let you look around (and not push on stick)

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.slowcat.de
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2005, 05:21:56 AM »
You actually dont have to do that Ghosth. Pushing stick forward *accelerates* that means you can center the stick after you reached max speed even while in Pos1. It wont slow you back down (unless you hit a tree or apply brakes :))
21 is only half the truth.

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2005, 03:28:24 PM »
Also when in gunner mode, you can use rudder to turn the vehicle left and right

Offline Colt44

• Silver Member
Can ya?
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2005, 06:54:08 PM »
Someone told me that you can use the "dial" on the x45 to control rudder...

Rudder pedals would work i imagine...

However, I found the easy solution for the x-45

....EBAY

BRING BACK THE CYBORG 3D GOLD!!!!!!

Offline Ohio43

• Copper Member
Re: Can ya?
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2005, 08:16:46 AM »
Originally posted by Colt44
Someone told me that you can use the "dial" on the x45 to control rudder...

Rudder pedals would work i imagine...

However, I found the easy solution for the x-45

....EBAY

BRING BACK THE CYBORG 3D GOLD!!!!!!

Ya, no kidding Colt.  The x-45 is pretty and all, and is a wonderful "flight" stick rig if your into the non-dogfighting flight sims.  X-45 is just goofy the way the rudder is supposed to be handled..hard to do while speeding up and slowing down.  also seems its kinda designed for a child-sized hand (the rudder)  I think i finally smoothed out the rudder sensitivity, but it just doesnt , for some reason, seem "natural" to control that input with your inner-most fingers.  
     Repaired the Sidewinder once..just gonna have rip her open again for surgery.

Offline kevykev56

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2005, 01:37:20 PM »
Falsehope one more tip with the x45

when you were following ghosth's directions and setting the sliders for the rudder notice in the top of the box you have a checkbox for REVERSE AXIS.

Check the reverse axis box for throttle. When you do your max throttle will be all the way aft,  min throttle all the way forward. Sounds wierd but by doing this your rudder paddle and all switches on the X45 throttle become MUCH more accessable. In AH 90% of the time your at max throttle the position makes all the more sense.

It took me all of about an hour to get use to it. Never changed it back since.
RHIN0 Retired C.O. Sick Puppies Squadron

Offline cav58d

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2005, 03:05:49 PM »
Thats weird...Im using a sidewinder II and every couple months I will get a day or 2 of CRAZY RUDDER...It gets so sensitive that the game is unplayable...To cure this probelem I will calibrate in game and windowzzzzz...Additionally I will unplug the controller from the USB and re plug...if that doesnt work I will re-install my controller software....But I feel for ya man...It sucks...When it happens it seems like the slightest twitch of the rudder ='s a violent full rudder input

goodluck

cav
<S> Lyme

Sick Puppies II

412th Friday Night Volunteer Group