Author Topic: Dora flap position control  (Read 579 times)

Offline agent 009

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
Dora flap position control
« on: November 25, 2005, 08:19:05 PM »
Flipped through a 190 book yesterday & noticed a pilot mentioning flap positions could be controlled from inside cockpit with the push of a button.

My question is can the pilot select which position , ( of 3 ), he desires from inside the cockpit, or does he have to preselect which position he wants to use before takeoff?

Offline Crumpp

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2005, 04:22:22 PM »
My question is can the pilot select which position , ( of 3 ), he desires from inside the cockpit, or does he have to preselect which position he wants to use before takeoff?

Huh?

He selects what he wants from the cockpit.  The only stipulation is the flap safety on the FW 190 would not let you lower the landing gear or landing flap position at speeds faster than 300kph.

This why the Flugzueg-Handbuch instructs the pilot on take off to wait until he is going faster than 250kph to retract the landing gear.  He must wait until the gear is fully retracted, the indicator lights turn from red to green, and the lock indicator is in locked position.

Then he can retract the take off flaps and trim for level flight at 500kph.

If he retracts the gear sooner, the aircraft could slip past 300kph and if he gets into trouble would be unable to lower the gear or the landing flaps.

All the best,

Crumpp

Offline agent 009

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2005, 03:25:11 PM »
I see, so in a dogfight below 300 mph, he can change flap positions for tighter turns, but not over that speed.

Offline Crumpp

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2005, 08:47:29 PM »
I see, so in a dogfight below 300 mph, he can change flap positions for tighter turns, but not over that speed.

Yes, at 500kph and below the take-off flaps can be used as maneuver flaps.  Keep in mind though the Split flap system of the FW190.  While it tends to generate more lift than a plain or slotted flap, it also generates more drag quickly robbing speed.

FW190 pilots I have spoken with used flaps only in hard dogfights and only for a short period of time.

All the best,

Crumpp

Offline agent 009

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2005, 11:48:24 PM »
And the turn circle of Dora with 3rd flap position is 825 ft, which compares with 960 or 980 for Mustang D.

Offline Crumpp

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2005, 07:52:48 AM »
And the turn circle of Dora with 3rd flap position is 825 ft, which compares with 960 or 980 for Mustang D.

The Dora had to be going around 300kph in order to lower the Landing flaps.  That is pretty slow.  Are you sure you are not confusing Kilometers per hour with miles?

The take-off flap position is the one labeled "maneuver flaps" by the USAAF and could be lowered at speeds below 500kph.

All the best,

Crumpp

Offline agent 009

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2005, 03:54:12 PM »
Turn circle speeds are often calculated at 250 mph.

Does the Mustang have flap positions? or  does it just drop flaps?