Author Topic: Comparison of Spitfire/109 cocpit size  (Read 2324 times)

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
Comparison of Spitfire/109 cocpit size
« Reply #75 on: December 03, 2005, 04:33:16 AM »
6 ft too :D
Only "dived" into the cockpit, and it seemed big enough.
Wish I could sit in a 109. The aircraft is clearly smaller though.
BTW, AFAIK the frontal area of the Griffon was smaller than the merlin!
(at least that was promptly posted on another thread)
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline Pooface

• Gold Member
« Reply #76 on: December 03, 2005, 06:38:09 AM »
kurfurst, just do yourself a favor and stop talking:lol

Offline Charge

• Gold Member
« Reply #77 on: December 05, 2005, 04:40:27 AM »
"So, what you have is higher G tolerance in the Bf109 at the expense of making it a little harder to look to the rear whereas the Spitfire's pilot (or most other aircraft's pilots) will have more problems with G forces (this is something I'd like to see modeled in AH) but a little bit easier time looking to the rear."

I agree with you on this one Karnak.

The more upright sitting position (and preferably somewhat crouching)gives you ergonomically more freedom to move and turn your head to sides and thus to look behind your back. Of course it doesn't make looking back impossible in 109 but probably more straining in the long run.

I'd also like to point out that the upright position itself allows for better means of applying leverage to control column sideways but in Spitfire this feature was unfortunately negated by using the short span control column for aileron control. Pulling the stick was not a problem in Spitfire since the elevator forces were very low and the reclined position in 109 gave the pilot much needed better position to operate the heavy elevator of the 109.

-C+
"When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a giant meteor hurtling to the earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much screwed no matter what you wish for. Unless of course, it's death by meteorite."

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #78 on: December 05, 2005, 05:47:33 AM »
You sit like in a racecar in a 109.
The Spitfire has stepped pedals for some compensation.
Some G suits were tried in late models, including the Mk VIII I belive.
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)