Author Topic: AOL/Time Warner Merger  (Read 519 times)

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
AOL/Time Warner Merger
« on: January 12, 2001, 07:59:00 AM »
Since we are all net citizens here, I'd like to hear your comments on the largest media merger in history. What does it mean to you? The future of the net? Pros and cons.

For me, it means I now work for AOL  

Eagler

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
AOL/Time Warner Merger
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2001, 11:35:00 AM »
It means the hordes of AOL morons will now have access to the Time Warner bandwith..which means all cable modems will become 56k modems thanks to the thousands of 10-meg e-mails the AOL users will be sending to all the people in their buddy list.

Another example of capitalist pigs thinking on their own profit rather than on the service they commited themselves to. Sad, sad,sad.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
AOL/Time Warner Merger
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2001, 11:47:00 AM »
"Capitalistic Pigs"?  I take it you do not like capitalism?

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
AOL/Time Warner Merger
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2001, 12:34:00 PM »
The technical limitations/expense of a cable modem infrastructure will not change. Content/media may be used differently than it is now but AOL currently has customers using cable modem delivery, $9 a month versus $22 as you do not use their ISP. So those 10 meg emails (which is over the limit of the typical AOL mailbox)are already flying around to some extent.
The requirement to allow additional ISP's on the cable pipe is a logistical nightmare. What sounds warm and fuzzy in theory doesn't always make the best business/customer service sense. But the politicians know best, right? I wonder if the American Airlines / TWA merger will receive as much scrutiny.

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder

Offline 1776

• Nickel Member
      • http://Iain'tgotno.com
AOL/Time Warner Merger
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2001, 12:44:00 PM »
Merger means CNN will be everywhere!!  

Anyone know if AOL is still charging $2.00/hr for AW?

[This message has been edited by 1776 (edited 01-12-2001).]

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
AOL/Time Warner Merger
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2001, 01:53:00 PM »

Originally posted by Ripsnort:
"Capitalistic Pigs"?  I take it you do not like capitalism?

<Mav whispers to Ripsnort> Tac is from Floriduh.........    
<GDR>
Mav
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

TheWobble

AOL/Time Warner Merger
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2001, 04:37:00 PM »
it means that Time warner will be slow with instant messages and when ya turn your tv on you will get a buisy signal.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
AOL/Time Warner Merger
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2001, 04:59:00 PM »
It means that one company now provides and controls the information of WAY too many people.

Sure, its their lazy bellybutton fault for not looking harder, but I think this opens up to many opportunities for "yellow journalism".

------------------
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

Sisu
-Karnak
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
AOL/Time Warner Merger
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2001, 05:05:00 PM »
LOL Wobble!

Man, I truly feel sorry for true floridians (im just a foreign student). Politics, how I love thee  

Rip: Do you wear a stars and stripes cape, underwear and run around the street? Calm down dude. All these corporations PROMISE and give you a CONTRACT when you sign up with them. They say (in writing) that they are there to provide you with the best service, yada yada yada. Merging with AOL will only improve their own profits and seriously degrade the service im paying them for.

Unfortunately, Time Warner is the only company that offers cable modem in central florida, so they give a rat's bellybutton about the contract they signed with me.

I like capitalism. I dont like capitalists.

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
AOL/Time Warner Merger
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2001, 06:32:00 PM »
Yeh tac

AOL lamers flooing the internet with their webcams and un|337 questions on the Usenet (so, uh am I still on AOL, This is supposed to be CENSORED. What? netiquette? Go away, turd)

oh yay. I am with tac here, liking capitalism but not capitalists  .

------------------
StSanta
9./JG 54 "Grünherz"

"I am the light at the end of your sorry little tunnel." - A. Eldricht