Author Topic: Altitude and scenarios  (Read 1558 times)

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
Altitude and scenarios
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2005, 05:00:30 AM »
Originally posted by Brooke
While attendance usually drops off a bit as the frames go on, I haven't noticed it being that bad.  

Still, scenarios aren't for everyone.  This isn't an argument that Delirium should like them or play in them.  This is just an analysis of player participation changes over time.

You weren't in the last Russian/German scenario... trust me, attendance was miserable.

I really like scenarios, I just feel as though the attitudes in the MA have trickled down to scenarios to some degree.

I'm just giving my opinion... I'm fairly certain I'm not alone, but feel free to ignore my opinion anyway.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline DoKGonZo

• Silver Member
      • http://www.gonzoville.com
Altitude and scenarios
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2005, 11:32:18 AM »
We're getting off-topic, but based on what I saw running Rangoon, I'd have to concur that there are serious problems.

Despite the cross-promotion with an AVG-related site and free prizes attendence was far below expectations. Even for a PTO event.

A lot of people stayed away because I wouldn't let them sign up en masse in predefined squadrons and grab their preferred rides as such. This was more disturbing as it appeared that a large number of people saw scenarios are squadron competitions - more concerned about their scores than the team (which is one reason I enforce the rule of breaking up cliques - they erode community).

I wasn't as upset by the whining (which I always expect - give someone a 1000 ft altitude edge and someone on the other side will always say it's now "unwinable" for them) as people walking off because of necessary rule changes (due to crappy attendence) or things not going their way. That's just wrong - you sign up to be part of a team - there's just too much MA attititude up in this.

The net effect of this is it really hinders the CM. You're forced to pick more popular battles or people won't fly in numbers if there aren't enough uber rides; you have to let squadrons define your registration process or they won't fly; you have to tiptoe around rulings or people will walk off. The end result is that scenarios will be run for and by "the few".

Can it be fixed? Yeah, probably. I'm convinced that large scenarios need a $5 or $10 sign-up fee, which will be used to underwrite the cost of patches for everyone, as well as provide prizes (maybe Amazon.com gift certs). That money will also help keep people in the event - if you walk off, you don't get your patch - simple. Sure, people will ***** about paying  to play a game they already pay for - what else is new?

Events should have feature movies as well as image galleries and an archive of AAR's. An event should have the permanence that the MA lacks. These should be forwarded to online webzines for possible feature. All games of this genre are predominantly arena based - AH scenarios are something very different which will be interesting to a lot of people.

The key people in events - CMs, FLs, COs, and veteran pilots - need to pass on their ethics to the newer people. New people (and remember that scenarios started in 1992) and even seasoned "squadron only" people need to recognize that joining a side on a scenario is a kind of contract - you are accepting a responsibility to forge a team to meet a challenge for a number of weeks. You don't walk off. You don't fly just for yourself. In a well designed event, everyone will get a chance to shine and its worth the work.

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
Altitude and scenarios
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2005, 03:05:53 PM »
I created a new topic for overall discussion of ways to improve scenario turnout such as participation, promotion, etc., here:

http://www.hitechcreations.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=165414
« Last Edit: November 24, 2005, 03:27:31 PM by Brooke »