Author Topic: Stuff I'd like to see...  (Read 887 times)

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
Stuff I'd like to see...
« on: December 02, 2005, 01:02:42 PM »
Here's a couple things I'd like to see:

F4U-1A - Best air-to-air combatant of the early-model Corsairs. Better visibility, armor, engine and stability (particularly on landing/takeoff) over the F4U-1, though not as heavy as the C and D.

PBY Catalina - She'd be a good, more versatile option to the Goon, and slightly less vulnerable since she carried guns in the nose and side blisters. The Cat could also be fit with bombs and torps, for some attack ability, or be used as a transport/supply plane. Ability to land on an airfield or water would make for an even more flexible plane.

P-39 - That 37mm cannon would be fun to play with.

B-29 - A bunch of guys were on the other night talking about wanting a good perk BUFF. Now THIS is a perk BUFF.

Nightfighters - Another conversation I saw in the game, adding true nightfighters with onboard DAR.

Player noseart/kill boards - Obviously would require require approval to be used, but it'd be pretty cool to decorate your plane with noseart and killboards.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2005, 01:07:07 PM by Saxman »
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline frank3

• Plutonium Member
Stuff I'd like to see...
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2005, 01:19:22 PM »
Don't forget the nuke :)

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Stuff I'd like to see...
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2005, 02:04:46 PM »
I believe we HAVE the f4u1A, the f4u1 was the variant unfit for service on CVs and changes were made on the flightline and the planes simply renamed "f4u1A

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Stuff I'd like to see...
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2005, 02:55:55 PM »
Krusty,

We have the:

F4U-1
F4U-1D
F4U-1C
F4U-4

I recall that either F4UDOA or Widewing concluded that our F4U-1 matches the performance of an F4U-1A, not and F4U-1.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline viper215

• Silver Member
      • http://www.bops.us
Re: Stuff I'd like to see...
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2005, 03:16:07 PM »
Originally posted by Saxman

B-29 - A bunch of guys were on the other night talking about wanting a good perk BUFF. Now THIS is a perk BUFF.

I wish we could have unicorns and fairy's and peace.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
- Viper215 - Birds of Prey - Falcon Wing -
               - www.bops.us -

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
Stuff I'd like to see...
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2005, 12:31:50 AM »
I think there are still some performance differences between the -1 in game and the -1A.  A lot of this is trying to pull from memory, but the -1A used the same R2800-8W as in the -1C/D so had a little extra hp (without the extra weight of the C/D). She also had a better rate of climb, ~3000ft/min compared to the 2700 of the -1. Pilot armor was also improved. I think there's enough to make either adding the -1A as a seperate aircraft, or at least remodeling and tweaking the -1 when they update the F4Us to AH2 standards worth looking at.

Anyway...

Haha, so not only perk a BUFF, but perk a weapon, too? Lol! Question is, would anyone want to take the time to get high enough to avoid the fireball?

I'd also like to see that naval-variant B-25 that had the 3" gun or whatever in the nose for anti-shipping.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2005, 12:45:36 AM by Saxman »
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline frank3

• Plutonium Member
Stuff I'd like to see...
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2005, 01:14:09 AM »
I believe it was a 75mm?

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
Stuff I'd like to see...
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2005, 02:42:58 AM »
75mm IS approx. 3." ;-)

Offline frank3

• Plutonium Member
Stuff I'd like to see...
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2005, 03:02:40 AM »
But still...a .50 isn't a 13mm either ;)

In any case it would have a heck of an impact!

I believe a B-25 could fire around 4 rounds in one pass, but never more than 5, since the shells had to be manually loaded by the bombardier!

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
Stuff I'd like to see...
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2005, 03:04:11 AM »
She'd be a heckuva bird for busting up GVs.

Offline frank3

• Plutonium Member
Stuff I'd like to see...
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2005, 03:05:37 AM »
I recall it was only used against shipping, but in Aces High, it would serve a multi-purpose role Im sure

Just imagine vulching someone with a 75mm :D

Offline Gato

• Copper Member
      • http://catzman.blogspot.com
Stuff I'd like to see...
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2005, 04:24:09 PM »
I like the idea of the Catilina.  It would add a new dimension to goon hunting. :rolleyes: As it stands now, a goon is going to die if anyone see them in time.  This would give them a fighting chance.

Offline EagleDNY

• Silver Member
Re: Stuff I'd like to see...
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2005, 04:53:19 PM »
Originally posted by Saxman
Here's a couple things I'd like to see:

The B-29 would be a fun bomber to hunt in the MA, and it would be interesting to see how well the B-29 fares against the ETO plane set.  IMHO it would be a sitting duck at the low altitudes of most of the raids I see.  

The strength of the B-29 was getting up high and fast where it was tough for the Jap planes to intercept it.  Once intercepted, it was as vulnerable to enemy fighters as any B-17 or B-24 was.  Up high and fast it'll be tough to stop, but not a lot of folks have the patience to get a raid up to 25,000 ft or so, and even if they do their bombing accuracy tends to be pretty poor.

Now if you can buy a fat man with those perk points, that's another story altogether.

EagleDNY  
:cool: